+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2 Questions. 1. Renewed passport with CEC in progress. 2. Marital status.

abrvalg

Feb 3, 2015
Hi all,

I have 2 questions, unrelated to each other.

1. I have applied for passport renewal prior to applying for CEC (applied for CEC on 19-SEP-14), applied with the passport I had (expiring one) and then received my new passport later. I have received my application number yesterday.

The question is: when and how do I send a copy of my new passport to CIC? I called CIC todday and the person on my phone told me to send email to CIC and when I sent email, I got automatic message that it can take up to 35! business days to get a reply.

Do I need to send the copy of my new passport now or wait till reply to my email/CIC demands it?

2. Me and my fiance are not married and have not declared common law. However, we live together, own an house, mortage and bank accounts together. Since we never declared common law, I filed as single. We have our wedding scheduled for this August.

The question is: when and how should I notify CIC regarding my future change in marital status?

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

akil_f1

Jun 15, 2013
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
2**3
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-13
AOR Received.
10-01-2014
abrvalg said:
Hi all,

1. I have applied for passport renewal prior to applying for CEC (applied for CEC on 19-SEP-14), applied with the passport I had (expiring one) and then received my new passport later. I have received my application number yesterday.

The question is: when and how do I send a copy of my new passport to CIC? I called CIC todday and the person on my phone told me to send email to CIC and when I sent email, I got automatic message that it can take up to 35! business days to get a reply.

Do I need to send the copy of my new passport now or wait till reply to my email/CIC demands it?Scan the new pp and send email , and also send the hard photocopies of the passport to the Ottawa address as well to be on safe side.

2. Me and my fiance are not married and have not declared common law. However, we live together, own an house, mortage and bank accounts together. Since we never declared common law, I filed as single. We have our wedding scheduled for this August.

The question is: when and how should I notify CIC regarding my future change in marital status? No need to notify about your future marital status change now,update them once u r married and got it registered.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
abrvalg said:
Do I need to send the copy of my new passport now or wait till reply to my email/CIC demands it?

Scan and send it by email. Do NOT duplicate this communication by sending a hard copy.

If you have been living together by more than 1 year, you are by definition common-law. As far as CIC (and other federal government departments like the CRA) is concerned, you ARE common-law partners. Not declaring it doesn't change that fact. Not including your common-law partner is misrepresentation.

In my opinion, the sooner you add your CLP to your application, the better.

FYI -http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/mrtl/menu-eng.html#whn

rajshrib86

Feb 5, 2015
Marital status.

I sent my application in Dec 2014 and had gotten married in Nov 2014. Since the marraige registration was not done I had not changed my marital status in the application. I had not sent any letter outlining the above mentioned situation along with my application either.
Will it cause a problem in my application and my wife's application(I wish to add her as a dependent)if I update my marital status now? ..Since I didnt update my marital status in the original application even though the marriage had taken place.
Any advise would be helpful

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Re: Marital status.

rajshrib86 said:
I sent my application in Dec 2014 and had gotten married in Nov 2014. Since the marraige registration was not done I had not changed my marital status in the application. I had not sent any letter outlining the above mentioned situation along with my application either.
Well, that wasn't a good decision. But if you applied to CEC in Dec 2014, your application will be returned. Consider yourself lucky for that, and start putting together your EE application.

surya1984in

Star Member
Feb 26, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-Jan-2014
AOR Received.
25-Feb-2014
Med's Request
02-Aug-2014
Med's Done....
14-Jan-2015
Passport Req..
19-Feb-15
VISA ISSUED...
19-Mar-15
LANDED..........
27-Jun-15
abrvalg said:
Hi all,

Do I need to send the copy of my new passport now or wait till reply to my email/CIC demands it? Email the scanned copy of your new passport along with a covering letter to CIC. That should be good enough. Make sure mention your application number, UCI, full name, DOB in your email.

The question is: when and how should I notify CIC regarding my future change in marital status? You should have informed about your common law partner while you were applying for it. Inform CIC right away about your CLP and your expected future family composition change. They will guide on what to be done.