+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2 Proofs of ID for children (citizenship proof app)

Aug 26, 2017
UK
I'm applying for proof of citizenship for my two,children aged 9 & 10 and I've been asked to provide 2 forms of ID for them (one with a photograph).
We have their English passports but no other form of ID. In the U.K. they don't have insurance cards, residents cards or health cards, so what have other UK residents used?
Obviously they don't have drivers licenses so I'm all out of other ideas...

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
I'm applying for proof of citizenship for my two,children aged 9 & 10 and I've been asked to provide 2 forms of ID for them (one with a photograph).
We have their English passports but no other form of ID. In the U.K. they don't have insurance cards, residents cards or health cards, so what have other UK residents used?
Obviously they don't have drivers licenses so I'm all out of other ideas...
Not English, but jumping in anyway, relevant part high lighted:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0003ETOC.asp#CIT0003E4
  1. Two (2) pieces of the child’s personal identification

Both pieces of identification should show your child’s name and date of birth, one of which must have a photo on it.

Examples include:
    • school record:):):):):):):):):):)
    • health insurance card
    If there is information on both sides of your child’s personal identification documents, provide a photocopy of both sides.

For a child under school age, identification such as:
    • a passport page containing his or her photo and personal details, or
    • a hospital or immunization record, may be provided:):):):):):):):):)
    Format: Clear and legible photocopy

Aug 26, 2017
UK
Not English, but jumping in anyway, relevant part high lighted:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0003ETOC.asp#CIT0003E4

Both pieces of identification should show your child’s name and date of birth, one of which must have a photo on it.

Examples include:
    • school record:):):):):):):):):):)
    • health insurance card
    If there is information on both sides of your child’s personal identification documents, provide a photocopy of both sides.

• a hospital or immunization record, may be provided:):):):):):):):):)
Thank you, this is very helpful.
I've contacted the school to speak to them about this but they don't provide an official 'school record' however they are going to write a headed letter to the embassy confirming the children's full names, dates of birth and that they've been attending the school for 6 years.
I'm also going to call their GP to ask for a letter explaining the same.
I'm very much hoping these will be enough in conjunction with the certified passport copy...

Thank you for your help!

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
Can we give OHIP Health card as one and the other one as passport itself ?
Yes, you can use it. See below:

Point 2 says:

Examples include:
    • school record
    • health insurance card

• a hospital or immunization record, may be provided

basstuk

Star Member
Jan 27, 2014
For this point I need Two pieces of child's personal identification. I will put Health card and Passport first page with picture

But Will do I need put another copy of passport for point 1.Biographical page of Passport(s)/Travel Documents of the child?

so total 2 copies of first page of passport with picture and 1 copie for health care?

Yes, you can use it. See below:

Point 2 says:

Examples include:
    • school record
    • health insurance card

• a hospital or immunization record, may be provided

abedi555

Star Member
Feb 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NYVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
20 JAN 2012
Med's Done....
7 FEB 2012 RCVD BY OTAWWA ON 24 FEB
Interview........
20 JAN 2012
Passport Req..
16 APRIL 2012 SENT ON 23 APRIL
VISA ISSUED...
visa for family issued on 25 april and for me on 10 may
LANDED..........
Thank you, this is very helpful.
I've contacted the school to speak to them about this but they don't provide an official 'school record' however they are going to write a headed letter to the embassy confirming the children's full names, dates of birth and that they've been attending the school for 6 years.
I'm also going to call their GP to ask for a letter explaining the same.
I'm very much hoping these will be enough in conjunction with the certified passport copy...

Thank you for your help!
Just letter from school would not be enough. School will provide Annex card which has both attendance and picture of tge student along with the letter. Make sure to ask for this

basstuk

Star Member
Jan 27, 2014
For this point I need Two pieces of child's personal identification. I will put Health card and Passport first page with picture

But Will do I need put another copy of passport for point 1.Biographical page of Passport(s)/Travel Documents of the child?

so total 2 copies of first page of passport with picture and 1 copie for health care?
Any help please?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The link given above by HamiltonApplicant is for a citizenship application, not "proof" of Canadian citizenship. That application is here:

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/citizen/cit0001e-2.pdf

The difference in the requirement for ID documents is that the application for proof of citizenship does not require that the applicant have a passport. Instead, two pieces of ID are required, one of which must have a picture. So, the documents could be a passport (copy of the biographical page w/photo) and a heath card, or a health card (w/photo) and a school record, etc.

Therefore, thewannabecanadian, you're fine with just the English passport and school record. No third form of ID is necessary.

Basstuk, you can use a passport and health card, if you are applying for proof of citizenship. There is no part 1 and part 2, so you don't have to send two copies of the passport page.

basstuk

Star Member
Jan 27, 2014
The link given above by HamiltonApplicant is for a citizenship application, not "proof" of Canadian citizenship. That application is here:

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/citizen/cit0001e-2.pdf

The difference in the requirement for ID documents is that the application for proof of citizenship does not require that the applicant have a passport. Instead, two pieces of ID are required, one of which must have a picture. So, the documents could be a passport (copy of the biographical page w/photo) and a heath card, or a health card (w/photo) and a school record, etc.

Therefore, thewannabecanadian, you're fine with just the English passport and school record. No third form of ID is necessary.

Basstuk, you can use a passport and health card, if you are applying for proof of citizenship. There is no part 1 and part 2, so you don't have to send two copies of the passport page.
Hi alphazip
I am going to apply through Application for Canadian Citizenship Adults subsection 5(1) and my child Application for Canadian Citizenship Minors subsection 5(2)

still i can use passport and health card for him? ( I can not use school records because my child will start this September his school for the first time)

Last edited:

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi alphazip
I am going to apply through Application for Canadian Citizenship Adults subsection 5(1) and my child Application for Canadian Citizenship Minors subsection 5(2)

still i can use passport and health card for him? ( I can not use school records because my child will start this September his school for the first time)
Well, this thread started out with a question about applying for proof of Canadian citizenship. In other words, the child is already a Canadian citizen, because he/she was born abroad to a Canadian citizen, and just needs proof of that fact. My answer had to do with the original post.

Your questions have to do with a child who is not a Canadian citizen who is applying to become a citizen. In that case, there is a part 1 (passport) and part 2 (two forms of ID, one of which must have a photo) in the application guide. So, yes, you would include a copy of the passport biographical page to comply with part 1, and then you could include it again, along with a copy of the health card, to satisfy the ID requirement.

There is more information here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/identity/acceptable-documents-show-identity-applications.html

Last edited:

basstuk

Star Member
Jan 27, 2014
Well, this thread started out with a question about applying for proof of Canadian citizenship. In other words, the child is already a Canadian citizen, because he/she was born abroad to a Canadian citizen, and just needs proof of that fact. My answer had to do with the original post.

Your questions have to do with a child who is not a Canadian citizen who is applying to become a citizen. In that case, there is a part 1 (passport) and part 2 (two forms of ID, one of which must have a photo) in the application guide. So, yes, you would include a copy of the passport biographical page to comply with part 1, and then you could include it again, along with a copy of the health card, to satisfy the ID requirement.

There is more information here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-ou citizenship/admininistration/identity/acceptable-documents-show-identity-applications.html
Thank you, thank you very much for your help

yveskyao

Oct 8, 2018
Concerning the child ID...My issue is this: The passeport of my child has expired and I have not renew it. Can I still used it as one proof of ID?

Thank You

Yves