+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2 options to become a permanent resident

GreyWolf88

Oct 8, 2016
My wife recently received her approval letter for permanent residence in Canada.

A Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) document has been issued.

She and I are both residing in Canada. The letter states "you have 2 options to become a permanent resident:"

1. arrange an appointment at a CIC office near you (call to arrange an appointment first)

or

2. leave Canada, and return through a land border port of entry (we are nearest Sarnia-Michigan)

My question is: which of these is the better/faster option?
How long does the process typically take through a CIC office, about 61 days?
Can it be done in 1 day at a border crossing?
What sort of documents would my wife need to enter the US and re-enter Canada?
Are there any risks involved in doing so? Thank-you.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
My wife recently received her approval letter for permanent residence in Canada.

A Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) document has been issued.

She and I are both residing in Canada. The letter states "you have 2 options to become a permanent resident:"

1. arrange an appointment at a CIC office near you (call to arrange an appointment first)

or

2. leave Canada, and return through a land border port of entry (we are nearest Sarnia-Michigan)

My question is: which of these is the better/faster option?
How long does the process typically take through a CIC office, about 61 days?
Can it be done in 1 day at a border crossing?
What sort of documents would my wife need to enter the US and re-enter Canada?
Are there any risks involved in doing so? Thank-you.
If it's easy for you to drive to Sarnia/Michigan, just go there. Yes, it can be done in one day. If there are no lines, the whole process takes 15-20 minutes.

The Niagara and Fort Erie border crossings are limiting landings for non-US visa holders (flagpoling) to Tuesday-Thursdays over the summer, but Sarnia should still be doing it 24/7. I read someone on this forum recently do their landing at Sarnia.

Your wife just needs to bring her passport, COPR, customs lists. She doesn't even need a US visa if she doesn't have one or is not under the US visa waiver program.

No risks. The worst possible thing that could happen is that they tell you to come back another time like what they're doing at the Niagara and Fort Erie crossings.