+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2.5 Years left for Residency obligation

JackK

Mar 23, 2021
Hello Friends,

I have a query regarding RO.I made a soft landing back in Dec-2018 and received a PR card in March-2019.
Since the soft landing, I am residing outside Canada and wish to travel back in a month May-2021. To summarise, So far I have stayed only 4 days in Canada during soft landing in 2018.

I will have 2.5 years left to complete 5 year mark. Do you see any concerns or problem on the airport or Maintaining my PR status?

Thanks.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have a query regarding RO.I made a soft landing back in Dec-2018 and received a PR card in March-2019.
Since the soft landing, I am residing outside Canada and wish to travel back in a month May-2021. To summarise, So far I have stayed only 4 days in Canada during soft landing in 2018.

I will have 2.5 years left to complete 5 year mark. Do you see any concerns or problem on the airport or Maintaining my PR status?
There are no technical issues. If you enter when planning and stay in Canada, no.

Worth noting that the date of expiry of the PR card is not really relevant - it's five years until anniversary of your soft landing, and rolling five year period thereafter.

Down the road you may face inconveniences of how much you can travel while remaining compliant with the RO, and whether new PR card can be renewed without gaps (processing delays). But if you stay in Canada, should be no issues.

JackK

Mar 23, 2021
There are no technical issues. If you enter when planning and stay in Canada, no.

Worth noting that the date of expiry of the PR card is not really relevant - it's five years until anniversary of your soft landing, and rolling five year period thereafter.

Down the road you may face inconveniences of how much you can travel while remaining compliant with the RO, and whether new PR card can be renewed without gaps (processing delays). But if you stay in Canada, should be no issues.
So prompt and so clear! Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

Reactions: armoured

dream_canada2018

May 19, 2018
Hi All,

I am PR card holder. Date on my card is May 2019 till May 2024. I have made soft landing in may (for few days) and then came back.
Now due to some personal issues, i am planning to move to Canada permanently by March 2022. This will give me 2years and 2 months. So i believe i should be able to satisfy 760 days clause to retain PR.
If i move in march 2022, then in May 2024,
1. Will my Permanent Residence will get automatically renewed for 5 years (till 2029) ?
2. If yes , then how hard is the process ? are there rejections to renew the Permanent Residence ? Or is the PR is mostly approved ?
3. If so, will it cause any issue when applying for Citizenship ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Pr card renewal is not automatic and can take some time - so it can be inconvenient if you need to travel while it's being renewed. Obviously you are also not leaving much room should unexpected events come up that would prevent you remaining compliant.

dream_canada2018

May 19, 2018
I understand. but given i stay 26 months in Canada in May 2024, then

1. how hard is the process to extend the Permanent Residence for next 5 years? are there rejections to renew the Permanent Residence ? Or is the PR is mostly approved ?
2. If so, will it cause any issue when applying for Citizenship ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

1. how hard is the process to extend the Permanent Residence for next 5 years? are there rejections to renew the Permanent Residence ? Or is the PR is mostly approved ?
Process: not particularly difficult, just can be lengthy. Rejections: generaly not if one is in compliance with RO and no other issues like criminality.
Don't understand your citizenship question. If the reason for rejection of PR is one that would make one ineligible for citizenship - then of course.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

When did you soft land in Canada? The 5 years count from that day. Do not apply to renew until you have more than 730 days in Canada. If you wait till very late in the "deadline" to come back in Canada, then you cannot apply to renew your PR card until you have more than 730 days (most suggested couple of week if not at least a month as buffer) accumulated. Taken that PR renewal can take months, you may not have a valid PR card to travel back to Canada while waiting for it. (I am not going to do the math for you)

PR renew will be approved if you live in Canada for the required number of days and if needed proivde proof to the case officer.
Citizenship is similar with a different requirement of resident days. You also need to submit every exit and entry into and out of Canada and detail travel history. Tax return..etc. You also need to take an exam about your knowledge of Canada. There is a booklet that you will be given and study with.

dream_canada2018

May 19, 2018
Thanks @YVR123.

Yes I am planning to keep 2-3 months as buffer. I was just curious to know that renewal or extension of 5 years will become difficult if i spent 2years and 2 months.
But i guess you mean that if i stay there for more than 2 years and no criminal charges, i should get my 5 year extension without any difficulty.
1 more question : Do we need 2 years Tax returns to renew PR for next 5 years ?
Thanks

dream_canada2018

May 19, 2018
@canuck78 : I landed in May 2019. thats why i was saying May 2024.
So, till May 2024, if i spent 750 days, i should be fine right ? means i should be able to renew my PR ?

@armoured : Thanks.
For Citizenship : I asked if i have to renew my PR, does it make my case complex for citizenship. Like , does the authorities asked why I have not spend 3 years from May2019 (when I landed) to May 2024, but have to go for PR renewal instead ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
For Citizenship : I asked if i have to renew my PR, does it make my case complex for citizenship. Like , does the authorities asked why I have not spend 3 years from May2019 (when I landed) to May 2024, but have to go for PR renewal instead ?
No, no additional complexity because of that. The key will be to meet the residency requirement for citizenship at the time you apply (three years in most recent five). Plus other requirements of course.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks @YVR123.

Yes I am planning to keep 2-3 months as buffer. I was just curious to know that renewal or extension of 5 years will become difficult if i spent 2years and 2 months.
But i guess you mean that if i stay there for more than 2 years and no criminal charges, i should get my 5 year extension without any difficulty.
Thanks
Just a reminder, you will be renewing your PR card. Not your PR. So after renewal, you will get a PR card that has a 5 years expiry date from the issue date. Again, PR card renewal is taking time (a few months at least and some longer if they request more proof).

Every time you enter into Canada CBSA can/will evaluate your RO and could report you even when your PR card is still valid. But that check has not been very consistantly done by CBSA.
You do not need 2 years tax returns but they do ask for the information and you should provide that if you are a tax resident.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78 : I landed in May 2019. thats why i was saying May 2024.
So, till May 2024, if i spent 750 days, i should be fine right ? means i should be able to renew my PR ?

@armoured : Thanks.
Clearly got confused because I was looking at OP scenario. If you have your own question you should really start your own thread.

Reactions: armoured

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Thanks @YVR123.

Thanks

You do realize that when you renew your PR card it does not mean your PR status is renewed for 5 years right? At any time, you need to have been in Canada 2 out of 5 years. If you leave Canada as soon as you get your PR card, you cannot stay 5 years outside Canada (or not without risking losing your PR) regardless of what's written on the card. You will be able to stay outside Canada at the most almost 3 years.

Reactions: YVR123