+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

180 days visiting Canada vs. TRV....Please help.

nofx.camp

Feb 24, 2013
My fiance and I have been together for over a year, traveling back and forth (she is Canadian and I'm from the states). She recently purchased a new home and we plan on getting married in a year, but I just read that I would only be allowed a stay/visit of 180 days. I want to visit her and help her wih anything she needs getting settled in but not sure if I'll get in trouble for staying past 180 days. I also read that I could apply for a temporary residents visa, but I would have to wait here while I apply and wait for approval. if I stay longer than 180 days and drove across at a later time would I get in trouble? If there is no departure letter after the 180 days, and I drove across the border to the states, would they know? I wouldn't apply for a job or try to study at a university until after I was accepted as a citizen. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Sorry for the lengthy blabbing post, but last question; should I apply for permanent residency before or after marriage?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
1) Americans generally don't need TRVs. We are visa exempt, meaning we can enter on our passport alone. That is, unless you've committed a crime or overstayed in Canada before (or a few other things that will make you inadmissible).

2) The 180 days is for the passport stamp IF the IO doesn't write a date in on it. If he writes a date, you must leave by that date.

3) You can extend you stay online and get a Visitor's Record. It's a piece of paper with a seal on it, but not a TRV. They aren't the same thing (I had to learn the hard way.... I sounded like a noob when I first started). Or you can go back to the USA border and ask to re-enter/get a new passport stamp. It's easier if your girlfriend can go with you and let her do the asking.

4) You can work/study one you become a landed immigrant. "Permanent resident" Like having a green card. If you wait until you're allowed to be a citizen, lets just say that's many, many years down the road and your GF might get tired of you never working ;)

5) That being said, she can't sponsor you until you either get married or live together for a full year. If moving your permanent resident status is a priority, you could have a civil ceremony now and a formal marriage ceremony later. You will have to explain to CIC why you picked a civil ceremony (they basically ask all the details.... I'm surprised they didn't ask my favorite color and movie). It's easy enough to say "We were saving up for a bigger formal wedding later" or "We prefered an intimate wedding." Think it over and do what works for you! :D

PS: I've been in Canada without leaving since July 2011 as a legal visitor.

PPS: You can post these questions in the "Family Class" section and you'll get noticed more/get more help. (Maybe not better, but more :p Okay, lots better!) There's lots of USA/Canada couples running around. There's also a thread for USA Outland couples and a thread for the Ottawa visa office, which is where you will file for your PR.

nofx.camp

Feb 24, 2013
amikety said:
1) Americans generally don't need TRVs. We are visa exempt, meaning we can enter on our passport alone. That is, unless you've committed a crime or overstayed in Canada before (or a few other things that will make you inadmissible).

2) The 180 days is for the passport stamp IF the IO doesn't write a date in on it. If he writes a date, you must leave by that date.

3) You can extend you stay online and get a Visitor's Record. It's a piece of paper with a seal on it, but not a TRV. They aren't the same thing (I had to learn the hard way.... I sounded like a noob when I first started). Or you can go back to the USA border and ask to re-enter/get a new passport stamp. It's easier if your girlfriend can go with you and let her do the asking.

4) You can work/study one you become a landed immigrant. "Permanent resident" Like having a green card. If you wait until you're allowed to be a citizen, lets just say that's many, many years down the road and your GF might get tired of you never working ;)

5) That being said, she can't sponsor you until you either get married or live together for a full year. If moving your permanent resident status is a priority, you could have a civil ceremony now and a formal marriage ceremony later. You will have to explain to CIC why you picked a civil ceremony (they basically ask all the details.... I'm surprised they didn't ask my favorite color and movie). It's easy enough to say "We were saving up for a bigger formal wedding later" or "We prefered an intimate wedding." Think it over and do what works for you! :D

PS: I've been in Canada without leaving since July 2011 as a legal visitor.

PPS: You can post these questions in the "Family Class" section and you'll get noticed more/get more help. (Maybe not better, but more :p Okay, lots better!) There's lots of USA/Canada couples running around. There's also a thread for USA Outland couples and a thread for the Ottawa visa office, which is where you will file for your PR.
Thank you for your help Amikety, greatly appreciated. If you don't mind me asking, what route have you taken to be in Canada since July 2011, and if you can't work until your a permanent resident or citizen, how have you financially been able to live in Canada?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
nofx.camp said:
Thank you for your help Amikety, greatly appreciated. If you don't mind me asking, what route have you taken to be in Canada since July 2011, and if you can't work until your a permanent resident or citizen, how have you financially been able to live in Canada?
I'm a visitor. I have a Visitor's Record. At least a month before it expires, I apply for a new one online. I tell CIC my husband and I are working on the process and some of my reasonings have been weak lol!

As far as finances, I saved a significant amount of money, but the main support is from my husband. He works and pays our bills. We've had to sacrafice in some areas, such as vacations and buying a house, but we get to be together. It's a personal choice that we're happy with.