+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

168 days spent in USA -- should I get a PCC?

Satchboogies

Oct 12, 2014
Hello,

I have spent 168 days in USA on a number of trips during the last 4 years. Some of my trips are 1-2 day trips while there are others where I have gone there for more than 10 days at a stretch. I also have some trips where I have flown to other countries after driving to Seattle and flying out of there. For these trips I am only counting the number of days spent in USA as 2. I do have flight tickets and hotel reservations to prove the fact that I have indeed flown to other countries from Seattle on these visits. I am slightly worried that IRCC might not believe me since I cannot get entry/exit stamps for these other countries.

Question for this forum: Should I include an explanation letter along with my application or should I apply for a PCC from USA and send it with my citizenship application although it is not necessary in my case?

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
Hello,

I have spent 168 days in USA on a number of trips during the last 4 years. Some of my trips are 1-2 day trips while there are others where I have gone there for more than 10 days at a stretch. I also have some trips where I have flown to other countries after driving to Seattle and flying out of there. For these trips I am only counting the number of days spent in USA as 2. I do have flight tickets and hotel reservations to prove the fact that I have indeed flown to other countries from Seattle on these visits. I am slightly worried that IRCC might not believe me since I cannot get entry/exit stamps for these other countries.

Question for this forum: Should I include an explanation letter along with my application or should I apply for a PCC from USA and send it with my citizenship application although it is not necessary in my case?
I'm in the same boat as you, with nearly 150d in the U.S. during the 4yrs prior to my citizenship application. Although not in exceedance of the 183d stipulation regarding PCC requirements, I still went ahead and got my FBI thing done anyhow (applied 7/2017, received 10/2017) just to be on the safe side, as I gather that CIC/IRCC can request PCCs regardless of the 183d rule.

rir170814

Nov 26, 2017
This is very simple. Use the IRCC calculator. You will notice that if you entered the US and left the same day, this counts as 0 day. If you entered the US and left the next day, it does not count as 2 days but as 1. I have a lot of short trips like that and when I used the IRCC calculator, I noticed that.

If you simply drove to the States and then flew out of it the same day, it would be 0 day and if you flew the next day it is just 1 day. But to make things easier for you, use the IRCC calculator for you. You should use it for the application anyways.

Satchboogies

Oct 12, 2014
I'm in the same boat as you, with nearly 150d in the U.S. during the 4yrs prior to my citizenship application. Although not in exceedance of the 183d stipulation regarding PCC requirements, I still went ahead and got my FBI thing done anyhow (applied 7/2017, received 10/2017) just to be on the safe side, as I gather that CIC/IRCC can request PCCs regardless of the 183d rule.
Do you think it's a good idea to apply for citizenship excluding the PCC and then at the same time apply for a PCC from USA? Then if they do ask me for one, I can send it to them right away. Just wondering if this would affect my application in any way.

This is very simple. Use the IRCC calculator. You will notice that if you entered the US and left the same day, this counts as 0 day. If you entered the US and left the next day, it does not count as 2 days but as 1. I have a lot of short trips like that and when I used the IRCC calculator, I noticed that.

If you simply drove to the States and then flew out of it the same day, it would be 0 day and if you flew the next day it is just 1 day. But to make things easier for you, use the IRCC calculator for you. You should use it for the application anyways.
I think you misread my question -- it is about how many days I spent in the US and not how many days I spent in Canada.

rir170814

Nov 26, 2017
Do you think it's a good idea to apply for citizenship excluding the PCC and then at the same time apply for a PCC from USA? Then if they do ask me for one, I can send it to them right away. Just wondering if this would affect my application in any way.

I think you misread my question -- it is about how many days I spent in the US and not how many days I spent in Canada.
That's what I mean too. It's about the days you spent in the US. When you use the IRCC calculator, you enter the destination, the date you left Canada, the date you returned to Canada and the reason. You will use this to calculate the days you were outside Canada --whether in the US or in any other country. Next to each absence, you will get the number of days you were out. Here is the link to the Physical Presence Calculator

Then the IRCC calculator will calculate the numbers of days of your eligibility period minus all of your absences. So, if in your eligibility period you have been in Canada for 1,700 days, but you were in the US for 120 and other countries (total amount) 180, your total number of days in Canada would be 1,400.

I know you are concerned about the days you stayed in the US, but again. If you use the calculator, you will see that maybe you entered the US and left the same day, and in your records you have that stayed in the US for 1 day when actually the IRCC calculator counts it as 0.

Does this help?

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
Do you think it's a good idea to apply for citizenship excluding the PCC and then at the same time apply for a PCC from USA?
Sure, you can go that route. I just wanted all of my stuff in one single envelope to send in to IRCC because I had a bad experience back in PR application days when I sent my U.S. pcc in later on and CIC misplaced it, then giving me 30d to provide a new one. So in my case I'm just once bitten, twice shy.

Satchboogies

Oct 12, 2014
Sure, you can go that route. I just wanted all of my stuff in one single envelope to send in to IRCC because I had a bad experience back in PR application days when I sent my U.S. pcc in later on and CIC misplaced it, then giving me 30d to provide a new one. So in my case I'm just once bitten, twice shy.
Good to know!

That's what I mean too. It's about the days you spent in the US. When you use the IRCC calculator, you enter the destination, the date you left Canada, the date you returned to Canada and the reason. You will use this to calculate the days you were outside Canada --whether in the US or in any other country. Next to each absence, you will get the number of days you were out. Here is the link to the Physical Presence Calculator

Then the IRCC calculator will calculate the numbers of days of your eligibility period minus all of your absences. So, if in your eligibility period you have been in Canada for 1,700 days, but you were in the US for 120 and other countries (total amount) 180, your total number of days in Canada would be 1,400.

I know you are concerned about the days you stayed in the US, but again. If you use the calculator, you will see that maybe you entered the US and left the same day, and in your records you have that stayed in the US for 1 day when actually the IRCC calculator counts it as 0.

Does this help?
I think you are confused. Here's why:
Case 1) Leave Canada on Jan 1st to visit USA and return on Jan 2nd. Here, the number of days spent in US = 2
Case 2) Leave Canada on Jan 1st, fly to country X via USA and return via same route on Feb 1st. Here, the number of days spent in US = 2
As I state in OP, Case 2 is what I am worried about and how it is hard to convince IRCC that I in fact spent only 2 days in Canada and not 32 days.

rir170814

Nov 26, 2017
I certainly see your point in terms of sending everything in one envelope. If I were you this is what I would do. If you are not in a rush to send your citizenship application, I would request the police report and then send everything together. But if you want to get your app out, I would send it without the PCC because as per IRCC, you need the PCC if you stayed 183 days or more in that particular country.

Did you count the days you went to the US and left the same day as 1 day?

rir170814

Nov 26, 2017
Good to know!

I think you are confused. Here's why:
Case 1) Leave Canada on Jan 1st to visit USA and return on Jan 2nd. Here, the number of days spent in US = 2
Case 2) Leave Canada on Jan 1st, fly to country X via USA and return via same route on Feb 1st. Here, the number of days spent in US = 2
As I state in OP, Case 2 is what I am worried about and how it is hard to convince IRCC that I in fact spent only 2 days in Canada and not 32 days.
The US and Canada have the means to find out exactly how many days you spent in each country. Here you can check your travel history to the US: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

So, Canada either has a similar system or they can simply enter your information because they have it and pull it off from the same site. You can also voluntarily include your travel history via the I94 website in your application so they can see evidence of the days.

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
I certainly see your point in terms of sending everything in one envelope. If I were you this is what I would do. If you are not in a rush to send your citizenship application, I would request the police report and then send everything together. But if you want to get your app out, I would send it without the PCC because as per IRCC, you need the PCC if you stayed 183 days or more in that particular country.

Did you count the days you went to the US and left the same day as 1 day?
Yup. I took the most conservative approach in calculating my days spent States-side, you bet. A few weeks after C-6 got Royal Assent, and once we'd been told of its "Fall 2017" effective timing, I made a deliberate daytrip down into the U.S. in mid-July specifically to get my fingerprints taken at the nearest U.S. police station in order to be able to mail in my application to the FBI with a U.S. postal moneyorder, rather than risking some kind of credit card snafu with mistypings or international mixups. Anyhow, I waited until I received my FBI pcc thing back before I mailed my application in to IRCC in mid-Nov.

rir170814

Nov 26, 2017
Yup. I took the most conservative approach in calculating my days spent States-side, you bet. A few weeks after C-6 got Royal Assent, and once we'd been told of its "Fall 2017" effective timing, I made a deliberate daytrip down into the U.S. in mid-July specifically to get my fingerprints taken at the nearest U.S. police station in order to be able to mail in my application to the FBI with a U.S. postal moneyorder, rather than risking some kind of credit card snafu with mistypings or international mixups. Anyhow, I waited until I received my FBI pcc thing back before I mailed my application in to IRCC in mid-Nov.
Ok cool. I was asking you because in your case 1 as per the IRCC calculator you would have 1 day absence and not 2. I know you told me you are more worried about case 2 and that's why I didn't bring it up before but just thought to bring it up now.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello,

The observations offered by @ChippyBoy cover this quite well, including the explanation for the judgment call made given the applicant's personal situation and history.

The observations offered by @rir170814, as it appears you discern, miss the point. You are correct, the question is about days in the U.S. (or some other specific country) NOT about days absent from Canada. So the presence calculator does NOT provide an accurate way of counting days in another country.

Observation about populating information in the presence calculator:

It appears that one of your key concerns arises from traveling abroad transiting through the U.S. Remember, in completing the presence calculator the applicant declares the DESTINATION country for the trip. Ordinarily this would not be a country merely transited on the way to the primary destination for the trip. In the box for describing the purpose or reason for the trip, the applicant is instructed to identify all countries visited during that trip. There should be room to state: "transited U.S. # days." That should easily illuminate that no more than two days were present in the U.S. during that trip.

Observation about the 183 days threshold for triggering requirement to submit PCC:

The 183 days threshold is merely administrative. There is no statute or regulation which imposes a requirement to submit a police clearance certificate in a citizenship application. Either with the application or later in the process.

Section 23.1 in the Citizenship Act authorizes the Minister to require that an applicant provide additional information or evidence relevant to the application. see http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-29/page-7.html#docCont

Section 22(3)(a) in the Citizenship Act imposes a prohibition for criminal convictions in other countries during the four years prior to applying for citizenship. see http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-29/page-6.html#docCont

Thus, IRCC can request a clearance from other countries in order to verify the applicant does not have any criminal convictions in such a country for the four years preceding the date of the application.

IRCC has administratively determined (just as CIC did before the transition to IRCC) that applicants who spent a total of 183 days in any particular country, during the four relevant years, should submit a PCC WITH the application. Citizenship Regulation 2(1), in Citizenship Regulations, No. 2, which you can see at http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2015-124/page-1.html#h-2, prescribes that an application must be made in the prescribed form and filed in the manner determined by the Minister, which gives the Minister (IRCC in practical terms) the authority to require a broad range of information and supporting documents, especially when considered in conjunction with Section 23.1 in the Citizenship Act (link above). (Note: Citizenship Regulation 2(1)(a) through 2(1)(i) prescribe some things which the application MUST require.)

The way bureaucracies tend to work is largely mechanical. Thus, this administratively determined threshold for requiring the applicant prove no prohibition for a foreign conviction, by submitting a police clearance, is likely to be implemented like an on-or-off switch in almost all cases. 182 days in a country, no clearance required. 183 days in a country, clearance required.

BUT the more time a person has spent in a country, the more it is possible other circumstances might nonetheless trigger a request for a police clearance REGARDLESS how much time the applicant was in that country. Again, IRCC has the discretion to request any applicant provide a clearance from any country in which the applicant has spent time or has ties or is a country in which IRCC perceives the possibility that the applicant is the subject of a criminal case.

Obvious example: a U.S. NCIC hit in the name-record databases. (There is a GCMS background check every time any action is taken on the application, and that check typically covers U.S. criminal name-records.) But there are other examples. I'd guess that in conjunction with a large number of days in the U.S. (but less than 183 total), factors like work history in the U.S., immediate family residence in the U.S., maybe a U.S. residence visa, among other circumstances, could elevate the risk that IRCC asks for a U.S. clearance.

So, my sense is that the closer to the threshold the total time in a country, the more there is SOME risk that IRCC will request a clearance (even though the applicant was not required to provide one with the application itself). BUT for most applicants, that should not be much of a risk. And for the U.S. in particular, my guess is the risk is less . . . which I will explain below.

Why Submit a Clearance Anyway?

Again, the observations offered by @ChippyBoy cover this matter quite well, including the explanation for the judgment call made given the applicant's personal situation and history. It is indeed a personal judgment call whether to submit any additional documentation not specifically requested.

Usually the better approach is to NOT submit anything other than that requested. BUT there are situations in which a prospective applicant can identify good reasons otherwise. (I submitted Notices of Assessment with my application; explained elsewhere.) As noted, @ChippyBoy explains the decision to include the PCC with the application even though it was not requested IN THE SPECIFIC CIRCUMSTANCES of @ChippyBoy's situation.

For the majority of applicants who are not required to submit a PCC with the application, even if there is a significant risk they might nonetheless be asked to provide one later in the process, it should be no problem to apply without including a PCC.

If the applicant apprehends, given the particulars (such as your situation, coming very close to the 183 day threshold for Canada's immediate neighbour, a country in which many immigrants often spend a good deal of time . . . and more so if there is any reason to apprehend there might be a hit for your name in U.S. NCIC database), the applicant can in the meantime obtain a PCC so there is minimal delay in submitting it if one is requested later.

In the scenario you describe, if there is any subsequent request for a U.S. clearance, my sense is that would likely be made at the interview (and if you have the clearance in hand, you could hand it over then and there, resulting in minimal delays in processing) . . . IF there is such a request for a clearance . . . . leading to . . .

A GUESS why there is NOT LIKELY to be a request for a PCC from the U.S.:

Or, identification of factors which, in contrast, might elevate the likelihood of a request for a U.S. clearance. The latter I referenced above: any NCIC hit for your name (if your name is John Smith with no middle name, odds are there are a number of persons with that name and your same date-of-birth, and that could trigger a NCIC hit which could lead IRCC to make a finger print request and/or request a U.S. FBI clearance). Or other circumstances, like being very close to the threshold AND having a work history in the U.S. Among other factors indicating ties in the U.S. which might, in turn, suggest the possibility of more time spent in the U.S. than disclosed.

Thus, for example, a key factor may be the extent to which some circumstances might suggest the possibility of additional time spent in the U.S. As you already discern, that could be the perception IRCC has due to the trip in which you transited the U.S. (But for a single trip of this sort, being clear about the "destination" for that trip and clearly identifying the U.S. as a country transited, in the presence calculator, should readily illuminate there was no additional time spent in the U.S., for that trip anyway.)

In the meantime, as I also previously noted, IRCC has fairly in-depth access to U.S. criminal history records. The U.S. and Canada share a lot of information related to criminal prosecutions and investigations. The GCMS clearance will usually reveal if there are any name-record hits in the U.S. criminal records databases.

Thus, I suspect that IRCC is likely to be less concerned with an applicant relative to time in the U.S. as long as it falls short of that mechanical threshold of 183 days. That's a guess.

Reactions: ChippyBoy