+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

12 months of skilled work experience

aliennotanymore

Feb 25, 2013
Hi All,

I want to file for PR in April and will take the IELTS test in March. I have been working in Alberta as an administrative assistant with an open work permit and then as an interpreter/translator/terminologist in Saskatchewan.

So, here are the facts:

- My open wp was from 20/10/2011 - 30/10/2011. I was processing the renewal of my passport for further extension.
- My second open wp was from 15/12/2011 - 19/10/2012.
- My third wp (a close one) was from 03/01/2013 - 02/01/2015

I started working on 07/09/2011 for a temp agency until 24/08/2012. According to the requirements to apply under Canadian Experience Class, you must have maintained temporary resident status during their qualifying period of work experience. I was having that status with my first open wp, that clearly states this: TEMPORARY RESIDENT STATUS MAINTAINED AS PER R183(6). POSTGRADUATE WORK PROGRAM. Here I have 10 months of skilled work experience Level B, NOC Code 1241. I was having implied status for about a month and a half.

I moved out to a small town in SK and was working there since 02/10/2012 - 28/12/2012 as an interpreter/translator/terminologist. Here I have 3 months of skilled work experience Level A, NOC Code 5125. I was having implied status for about 2 months and a half.

So, are my calculations to have those 12 months of skilled work experience correct? Can I file for PR? As I was working sometimes with implied status can it screw me up a bit?

Please I'd appreciate any kind of advise.

Thank you.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
The "implied status" is OK, as long as you're certain you were on implied status (you applied for the new work permit BEFORE the old one expired).

I'm more concerned about the temp experience as an admin assistant - 10 months, full-time (at least 30 hours per week), no breaks? How many assignments? Are you certain the duties are at NOC 1241 level? (CIC would interpret a lot of office/clerical work as unskilled...)

And the translation job - full-time as well?

aliennotanymore

Feb 25, 2013
For all the work permits I applied BEFORE the expiry date of all of them, just to be on the safe side and could allege later that implied status.

I had 2 assignments for the temp agency, one as an executive assistant (1 month/37.5 hours per week) and the rest of the period as an admin assistant (10 months/40 hours per week). That 1 month doesn't count as I was working with my off-campus work permit. Since I started working for the temp agency I haven't took a break.

Regarding to my work experience as an administrative assistant, the letter of reference from the temp agency says: "Her second temporary assignment was from October 20, 2011 to August 24, 2011 as an administrative assistant. Her main responsibility and duty at this temporary assignment was administrative support. On this assignment, she worked approximately 40 hours a week earning an hourly salary of $20.00". I was working in an accounting firm especialized in taxes.

Should that document be more specific about the duties I was performing? If that were the case, this is an extract of my resume that I could send to the temp agency:
• Trained in Canadian and US tax compliance
• Assisted CA's in the regulatory filing process
• Formatted memos/letters according to the Canadian Tax Foundation Style Guide
• Processed invoices and expense reports through an specific software
• Drafted general correspondence and managed workloads
• Distributed incoming and prepared outgoing faxes, mails and courier packages
• Managed a high volume of confidential paperwork including board materials, presentations and confidential rush assignments
• Organized meetings by preparing agenda/action items, booked meeting rooms and set up audiovisual equipment and catering
• Coordinated travel, provided itineraries, tickets and international documentation requirements

Thanks.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aliennotanymore said:
For all the work permits I applied BEFORE the expiry date of all of them, just to be on the safe side and could allege later that implied status.

I had 2 assignments for the temp agency, one as an executive assistant (1 month/37.5 hours per week) and the rest of the period as an admin assistant (10 months/40 hours per week). That 1 month doesn't count as I was working with my off-campus work permit. Since I started working for the temp agency I haven't took a break.

Regarding to my work experience as an administrative assistant, the letter of reference from the temp agency says: "Her second temporary assignment was from October 20, 2011 to August 24, 2011 as an administrative assistant. Her main responsibility and duty at this temporary assignment was administrative support. On this assignment, she worked approximately 40 hours a week earning an hourly salary of $20.00". I was working in an accounting firm especialized in taxes.

Should that document be more specific about the duties I was performing? If that were the case, this is an extract of my resume that I could send to the temp agency:
• Managed a high volume of confidential paperwork including board materials, presentations and confidential rush assignments
• Organized meetings by preparing agenda/action items, booked meeting rooms and set up audiovisual equipment and catering
• Coordinated travel, provided itineraries, tickets and international documentation requirements

Thanks.
It needs to be far more specific. Basically, the VO will compare the duties mentioned you your ref. letter to the duties for your chosen NOC code. If 1) your reference letter doesn't state all of your duties or 2) your duties don't significantly match that of the mentioned NOC, chances are your application will be rejected as the VO cannot confirm your skilled work experience.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
aliennotanymore said:

What's your date of graduation?

Should that document be more specific about the duties I was performing?

Yes, it must be more specific. Your list is fine (I would put the training at the bottom, tho).

As for the 2 months of translation, you must have worked at least 30 hours per week...

ghatot201

Feb 8, 2013
Windsor, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2013
Doc's Request.
Sent with application
AOR Received.
PER 08-03-2013
IELTS Request
8.0 Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-12-2014
Med's Request
06-01-2014
Med's Done....
09-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2014
LANDED..........
Canada since 2011, Landed
Your profile looks good. You are within the 2 employer limit for the CEC. You should go for it.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ghatot201 said:
Your profile looks good. You are within the 2 employer limit for the CEC. You should go for it.
LOL, why do you think there is a "2 employer limit for the CEC?"

seab

Star Member
Mar 1, 2013
I was curious too about this two employer limit. This is the first i'm hearing of it .

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
it doesn't exist.

aliennotanymore

Feb 25, 2013
And what if the letter of reference I have from that employer from SK where I was hired as a translator states that I was doing administrative duties instead of mentioning anything about my role as a translator? Should I enquire him in order to change that wording? I was hired to support a project of bringing Spanish techs to the dealership. At the end, they never come because their wp was refused. Of course I was mostly doing admin duties and sometimes acting as an interpreter for some few Spanish staff.

Thank you so much for your comments.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
aliennotanymore said:
And what if the letter of reference I have from that employer from SK where I was hired as a translator states that I was doing administrative duties instead of mentioning anything about my role as a translator? Should I enquire him in order to change that wording? I was hired to support a project of bringing Spanish techs to the dealership. At the end, they never come because their wp was refused. Of course I was mostly doing admin duties and sometimes acting as an interpreter for some few Spanish staff.
Whoa, it doesn't really sound like you were working as a translator/interpreter, but more like a bilingual project coordinator. What was your actual job title?

I would suggest looking at NOC 1221, it's Ok to blend your translation duties with the administrative ones...
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/QuickSearch.aspx?val65=1221

laikayung

Star Member
Oct 21, 2012
aliennotanymore said:

Thanks.
Sorry just a quick question regarding to her case, if the other 2 months experience doesnt count in her work experience part, will this case still be approved? As on the website it states the full time work should be no less then 30 hours/week. so even the 10 months work experience of hers has already more then those who work full time but only work 30 hours weekly as she works 40 hours/week for 10 months. does it make sense?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
laikayung said:
Sorry just a quick question regarding to her case, if the other 2 months experience doesnt count in her work experience part, will this case still be approved? As on the website it states the full time work should be no less then 30 hours/week. so even the 10 months work experience of hers has already more then those who work full time but only work 30 hours weekly as she works 40 hours/week for 10 months. does it make sense?
No, because 12 months of eligible work experience is absolutely required.

30 hours per week is a MINIMUM, as is 12 months.