+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

1 yr Multiple entry Tourist Visa - stay longer than 6 months?

joelnberg

Jul 15, 2015
Hi,

My GF has a 1 yr Multiple entry Tourist Visa. I am fully supporting her while she is here, as written my letter to her for her Visa application. It has been almost 6 months and we want to leave to say the states for a weekend but will we have trouble at the border coming back?
She is planning to stay in Canada for 1 full year as a tourist with multiple entries, we're working toward common law. Does she have to leave and come back after the 6 months? There is only a scribble in her passport from immigration mentioning a November date which will be 6 months. Perhaps she should take the dependent letter from me, just for help at the border coming back.

Thank you for the help.

Joel

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Whether she is allowed back into Canada or not is entirely up to the CBSA official she encounters at the border. It's possible she will be allowed back in - there's always some chance she won't be. Holding a multiple entry tourist visa doesn't guarantee she will be allowed to enter Canada.

If being able to achieve common law and live together is important to you - I would skip the weekend trip to the US.

No - she doesn't have to leave and come back every six months. But she does need to apply for an extension to her visit if she wants to remain beyond the six months allowed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
joelnberg said:
Ok, thank you.

I think we'll apply for an extension and go from there!
Yes - that would probably be the better way to go. If you mention in the extension application that you are working towards living in Canada together for one year so that you can then apply as common law - it's almost guaranteed to be approved. Make sure the extension application reaches CIC before the current status expires.

joelnberg

Jul 15, 2015
Thank you, we sent off the application a week ago so are now waiting. I have another question however.

On a multiple entry tourist visa, does she need a return ticket to Brazil to re-enter Canada? Her return ticket to Brazil is for the end of this month, which we decided to forfeit.

One last question as well. This "up to 6 months per year", would it start anew January 1st then? So even if this multiple entry extension failed. Over the new year she would automatically get another fresh 6 months if she were to say, leave the country over New Year and come back in?

Thank you for all the help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
joelnberg said:
On a multiple entry tourist visa, does she need a return ticket to Brazil to re-enter Canada? Her return ticket to Brazil is for the end of this month, which we decided to forfeit.

One last question as well. This "up to 6 months per year", would it start anew January 1st then? So even if this multiple entry extension failed. Over the new year she would automatically get another fresh 6 months if she were to say, leave the country over New Year and come back in?
As you are trying to establish common-law, she shouldn't be leaving Canada.

There is no "6 months per year" rule. She needs to apply online to extend her visitor status. I suggest requesting longer than 6 months so that there is enough time to become common-law. With proof of funds, there is little chance of the extension being refused.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
joelnberg said:
Thank you, we sent off the application a week ago so are now waiting. I have another question however.

Thank you for all the help.
As has been advised your g/f shouldn't leave Canada if your plan is to get to common law status. You are confusing a one year visa as being equal to the right to stay continuously in Canada for one year. Standard visitor admission is 6 months hence you have applied for an extension. If she leaves Canada prior to the extension approval then its moot and doesn't count. If she leaves Canada after approval then the extension is moot again and in any case it doesn't authorise re-entry!! An issue if you do leave prior to the 12 months is if she will be allowed re-entry into Canada to continue 'gaining' days to the common law status - you much of a risk taker?? Stay put is the best option and travel to your hearts content post PR sponsorship application submission depending on if this is inland or outland and what visa/ passport your g/f holds.