+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

1-year suspension as an international student

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm in A lot of trouble.. with just one year and some months visa left.. owing 16000 $ to school and not being able to register in September due to fees owing and suspension..I have limited options.. thinking of going to work in the Caribbean for 11 or 10 or 8 months and coming back before my visa expires (when I am removed from suspension)
Your student visa may be cancelled if you are bot attending any classes.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I know. If im not in school.. they can cancel it.. what if I tell them the reason why?
The school will report your suspension and your study permit will be cancelled. IRCC won't care why.

The fact that you were suspended will make it difficult to be approved for future study permits.

Reactions: PARAM-

PARAM-

Star Member
Apr 5, 2018
i think you must get admit in other school for small one year or 8+ month program and you can work 150 days before new program and 150 days after program without violating any rules just update DLI and then update it to back when your suspension ends. only money will waste try to do something complete (ex certifications) and in same field you are studying it will help you in life.

don't leave canada, they might not let you enter again... and if/when your suspension ends you can apply for visa extension to complete study with a explanation about suspension and how you used it to learn something new in same field and you are serious about your study/career, they let you complete your study by extending it.

PARAM-

Star Member
Apr 5, 2018
The school will report your suspension and your study permit will be cancelled. IRCC won't care why.

The fact that you were suspended will make it difficult to be approved for future study permits.
see my post i think its best strategy to handle it. need any change please help this soul

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
And that I can return after a year due to suspension
i think you must get admit in other school for small one year or 8+ month program and you can work 150 days before new program and 150 days after program without violating any rules just update DLI and then update it to back when your suspension ends. only money will waste try to do something complete (ex certifications) and in same field you are studying it will help you in life.

don't leave canada, they might not let you enter again... and if/when your suspension ends you can apply for visa extension to complete study with a explanation about suspension and how you used it to learn something new in same field and you are serious about your study/career, they let you complete your study by extending it.
That is incorrect. You can only work during the summer if the time between the end of one program and the beginning of the next program is less than 150 (might be 150 and less). You would have to be a full-time student in the old and new course. This is a new rule.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

OP would not be allowed to work between the programs because they have not completed the previous program.

They can certainly try to get admission to another program and stay as a student. However, they may still face issues when applying to extend their study permit because of the academic suspension.

PARAM-

Star Member
Apr 5, 2018
That is incorrect. You can only work during the summer if the time between the end of one program and the beginning of the next program is less than 150 (might be 150 and less). You would have to be a full-time student in the old and new course. This is a new rule.
he was a full time student until now and in new program, he will be full time students, after that he will again full time to join old course

full time >>>150 days(ok dont do here) >>> new program (here he can ) >> 150 days >> old program but still considered a course >> life goes on yes no matter what PGWP is like impossible...

i suggest read this carefully

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
he was a full time student until now and in new program, he will be full time students, after that he will again full time to join old course

full time >>>150 days(ok dont do here) >>> new program (here he can ) >> 150 days >> old program but still considered a course >> life goes on yes no matter what PGWP is like impossible...

i suggest read this carefully

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html
It doesn't matter whether it is 150 days or not. The exception to continue working between programs applies when the previous program has been COMPLETED. This does not apply here; OP has stopped studying and therefore cannot work until once again actively studying.

Jamesneji

May 11, 2018
So I can't leave and come back just after school restores me? .. I'll have like a month before my visa expires after im back to apply or a month and some days

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So I can't leave and come back just after school restores me? .. I'll have like a month before my visa expires after im back to apply or a month and some days
You can leave and come back. However, as already said, your chances of getting your study permit extended are low because of the suspension.

Jamesneji

May 11, 2018
... the suspension is for one academic year..September 1st to august 31st.. then I can apply to be reinstalled.. if im reinstalled as a student, can't I extend it at that time (next year)?