+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

1 Year PGWP and Chances to Permanent Resident

leon_dimitri

Apr 4, 2016
Hello again! Well, I've been planning to immigrate to Canada for a few years, and I plan to do so by applying for permanent resident after attending to a college and getting a PGWP. In the last couple of days I was being advised by an agency about PGWP, and my counselor told me that my odds to get a permanent resident wouldn't be high after an 1-year PGWP and that I should take a 2-year program instead. The thing for me is that an 1-year program would be way more convenient, because I'm from Brazil, and the currency here is not as valuable as Canada's currency (I have to spare pretty much the double of money to achieve the necessary amount), so I did the math and it would take about 5 years for me to have the right amount of money to attend to a 2-year college program, while I could have enough money to attend to an 1-year college in about 3 years or a little less. If I was going to take the 1-year college I would be attending to a college in Red Deer, Alberta. I would like to know what are my odds of getting a permanent resident after an 1-year PGWP, are they very low or is it doable? This is really important to me, thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your consultant is right.

If your aim is to get PR, you should take a 2 year program so that you qualify for a three year PGWP.

Getting PR after a one year program is doable for some. Impossible to say what your chances would be. Much higher chances with a three year PGWP.

leon_dimitri

Apr 4, 2016
Hmm, I see, thanks for the answer. It's that I don't have a job at the moment here in Brazil, as I am still graduating at the university (2 and a half years to go), so I would have to spare more money for a 2-year program, meaning 2 1/2 years from my university + 5 years of sparing = 7 years and half of waiting... and I know in this amount of years a lot of things can change, I don't even know if the immigration process and rules will still be so flexible by then. I'd rather play safe, so if it wasn't for the money issue I'd take a 2-year program for sure. But still, I'm worried about doing 1-year just to fail at the end and have the PR request denied. I'm Not sure what to do at this point anymore :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's quite possible that doing only a one year course won't result in PR. There are plenty of people who either aren't able to secure a job after they graduate from a one year program or aren't able to secure the right kind of job after they graduate from a one year program in order to qualify for PR.

Ultimately your choice what you do.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Well i did a year of college and got a year PGWP in 2014 and i managed to apply for SINP after 6 months and i became PR earlier this year..
But i think its better to take 2 years of school because you might be unable to find a job that straight after graduation.

leon_dimitri

Apr 4, 2016
I see. I'm graduating in Biomedical Sciences here, and I'm planning to take a Medical Laboratory Sciences or something close to that in Canada. After taking an 1-year program, would my previous diploma in Biomedical Sciences help with finding a job afterwards?

Naz_101

Aug 25, 2020
I'm going through the same stage as you right now, I'm about to finish by bachelors degree and was thinking about getting a graduate certificate which is a 1 year program and eventually getting a PR but everyone is advising me to go for a 2 year program to get a longer work permit. do you have any advice on that issue since the post is since 2016 so you might be able to help me.

Naz_101

Aug 25, 2020
and lets say I got a 1 year work permit and found a job, would I be able to extend the permit to stay In the same job?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
and lets say I got a 1 year work permit and found a job, would I be able to extend the permit to stay In the same job?
A PGWP cannot be extended unless was issued short due to a passport expiry date being less than the qualified PGWP term

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As quoted before PGWP is not extendable, but your employer can get you a closed WP if they wanted to keep you.
Yes they can try. The employer will need to get a LMIA to show no Canadian can do the job and you'll need to get a WP. Many employers are unwilling to go through the process and expense.

Ajay. Goyal

Star Member
Jun 17, 2019
Some Students who applied their PGWP permit in April got it in 15 days. Whereas I applied on 30th JUlY 2020, But no update till date.