+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

YOUR Work Experience Questions

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
Hello Everyone,

With the new NOC list, a lot of people are asking whether or not they qualify for immigration. One of the issues that is causing a lot of confusion is that people look at the NOC description, the description matches what they do, but when they look at the NOC "employment requirements", they see that they do not qualify.

I want to make it clear to everyone, once and for all, that the NOC "employment requirements" DO NOT apply. That's right. If you are an accountant, and you see in the NOC that the employment requirements include "being a member of the Accountant's Association", you can safely ignore it. If you are working as an accountant in your home country, as long as you can prove that you carried out the duties listed in the NOC, and that your job matches the "lead description" on the NOC (the lead description are those first lines broadly describing the job), you can apply.

If you are an engineer and you see in the NOC that the employment requirement includes "Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers", you can safely ignore it.

Let me say it again:the employment requirements apply only to getting a job once you arrive in Canada, not to the Skilled Worker immigration program.

How do I know this, you ask? Simple, I read the Skilled Worker Assesment Guide, it's here for everyone to read: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op06e.pdf

Unfortunately, what Canada is likely to get is a lot of people who stretched their qualifications and competencies to fit the list. But that's a different problem. Canada wants one thing, but will get something else. And a lot of people will be frustrated in the process!

Reactions: inavars91

zaidkhalid

Oct 29, 2008
But there are three criteria for the requirement
1. is required
2.usually required
3. may be required

These are sorted from the solid to soft condition.

So from my reading on NOC they said that you should satisfy the conditions lie in NO. 1

More precisely (Got from the tutorial of NOC)

" "Is required" indicates a definite requirement.
"Is usually required" means that the qualification is generally expressed as required by a majority of employers, but not always mandatory.
"May be required" describes requirements that some employers may impose, but are not universal.
"

any other opinions (agree, disagree).

Cheers,
Zaid

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
zaid,

the NOC is designed for work in Canada. You will probably (or certainly, in many cases) get a job in Canada if you do not fullfil the requirements listed there.

But for immigration purposes, the CIC instructions are clear: the requirements must not be taken in consideration. Just read the pdf file, here's what it says:

For the purposes of skilled worker applications, the ”Employment Requirements” listed in the description of each occupation are not applicable. (page 12)

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
please do advise how the working hours for the teacher in the language school are calculated? a part time & full time experience
thank you

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
rupeshhari said:
Suin said:
please do advise how the working hours for the teacher in the language school are calculated? a part time & full time experience
thank you
Take the number of hours you worked per week, multiply by the number of weeks and divide by 37.5. Then divide by 52. This will give you number of equivalent full time years.

BUT full time teachers don't teach 40hours per week. They teach maybe 6 hours (like at my university). So I would think another way to do it is to look at how many hours were you paid for. I read about a guy in this forum, who was paid for something like 15 hours per week, but his teaching time was only 3 hours per week. In that case, I would use 15hours and multiply by the number of weeks and divide by 37.5. Then divide by 52. This will give you number of equivalent full time years.

BUT in your case, you might be paid say 6hours and expected to teach for 6 hours per week and the institution knows that you will spend other time preparing the teaching material so they pay you at a higher rate. Well, in that case. Look at what the full time teaching hours time per week of a full-time person is and compare that to yours.

I am really no expert so what do others think?

Notice that in some countries you're not paid "per hour". In my country, for example, you will not find any job ad informing the pay per hour. It's always per month. The minimum wage is also set for a "full-time job", and not "per hour".

But you answer your question: you count what your contract stipulates. If your contract says you work 6 hours per week (regardless of how many hours you spend preparing), then you count 6 hours per week; if your contract is 15 hours per week (say, 5 teaching, 10 preparing and correcting lessons and exams), then you count 15 hours per week.

Remember that a full-time teacher may only spend a few hours per week teaching, but his contract also expects him to conduct research, carry out administrative tasks, prepare lessons, etc. (as you can see in the NOC list of duties).

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
how is the working experience calculated now? is it possible to have more than 5 years in one occupation that is not in the list & just a year that is in the list of 38?