+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Young Brit needs help with work permit!

lexxx

Mar 24, 2011
Hey all, I am planning to apply for a work permit in canada, to move in with my girlfriend, we have been together for a year, I have visited her, and have the tickets booked to see her again on april 7th :) ( two weeks!) I'm seeking help, about how I apply for it, and peoples opinions on wether i would be accepted or not. I'm 18 from the united kingdom, and would be working in a low level job at a grocery store ect. Does canada accept young workers like me? How long does it take for the application process? Is there an office where i can apply in person, or get advice in person? Has anyone been in my position, could you please share your exsperiance. Any infomation would be greatly appriciated, as this means alot to both of us.

Many thanks!

George.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bad news for you. You don't get a work permit unless you first have a job and the employer must be willing to apply for a labour market opinion for you and prove that he could not find any Canadian who wanted the job.

However, go to bunac.org and read about working holiday visas. That one could get you an open work permit although it is only for a year. After a year, you must figure out another way to stay, one of which might be asking your girlfriend to sponsor you which she could if you have at that point lived together for a year or if you get married.

lexxx

Mar 24, 2011
Leon said:
Bad news for you. You don't get a work permit unless you first have a job and the employer must be willing to apply for a labour market opinion for you and prove that he could not find any Canadian who wanted the job.

However, go to bunac.org and read about working holiday visas. That one could get you an open work permit although it is only for a year. After a year, you must figure out another way to stay, one of which might be asking your girlfriend to sponsor you which she could if you have at that point lived together for a year or if you get married.
Thats perfect! thank you very much. I'll just make sure to do everything to qualify for common law marrage before the year is finished.

Edit: Read the website, you can have the visa twice in your lifetime, so i can use it for 2 years ;D

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Then use the 2nd year to apply for your sponsorship because once you apply, you will not get your permanent residency instantly, it will take a few months.