+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wrong name on the Work Permit

bestjsg

Jun 3, 2009
HI All,

My living in nanny arrived in Canada in April and just like anyone else who doesn't really speak the language going to a forgiven country alone , she was very nervous, she answered all the questions, provided all the docs required to get thro the Immigration office at the airport. After we have gone home, she found out that the last name on her work permit is incorrect. ( I mean what's wrong with these officers ? , I understand someone with last name consists 20 letters would have a good chance of making mistakes but her last name only has 4 letters and he/she missed the very first one...sigh..) , not sure if she was supposed to check before she left the counter or not but anyhow the Officer made a big mistake.

Right away, my wife called along with her to CIC - 1-888-242-2100 , spoke to an agent and told them that it would take about 3 weeks to fix. 3 weeks later , I called , apparently I cannot talk to the issue because of some privacy law, the agent has to speak to my nanny and asked her to authorize me, anyhow, we found out that that 3 weeks is only for the time it takes for the previous agent to send the request to the Airport office, and should take about 4 weeks from the Airport office etc......so now total of 8 weeks later, I called today, the agent wouldn't even let my nanny to authorize me to talk about the issue , he has to talk to her directly , asked all the verification questions etc, then he put her on hold , came back and said it should take a total of 18 weeks from the Airport office to fix this, I asked if there is a way to expedite this, he answered no, and I said even the officer clearly made a mistake here , we have to suffer this and no way someone would care to help expedite to correct the mistake an officer made at the first place, he said no also....

My questions are :

- in another month, she will be able to apply for a health card, would the wrong last name on her work permit delay/affect the application ?
- her SIN number is also based on the wrong last name , will anyone be in trouble ?
- what are some other troubles, effects would we see / experience with this mistake made by the officer ?
- is there truly no way to expedite this correction ?
- can this last rude agent tag her file and delay this process even further ?

Thank you for your time in advance.

euromelb

May 10, 2009
I wish i could help you with your query, but i usually come on this forum to seek answers

Hopefully someone will be able to provide you with some information even though a lot of people on this forum are selfish (they want

answers to their queries but when it comes to helping someone else they are nowhere to be seen)

bh123456

Jan 20, 2011
Hi,

Same thing happened with me also. Could someone please tell me was your problem get resolved and how much time it took??

any responses much appreciated.

Thanks
B

atlmallu

Apr 24, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2010
AOR Received.
09-09-2010
Med's Request
09-09-2010
Med's Done....
15-09-2010
Passport Req..
13-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
19-04-2011
LANDED..........
23-04-2011
I had a similar issue two years back. When I talked to CIC call centre at that point, they asked me to send in the form available at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certcopy.asp . I remember it took about a month and a half to get the corrected document. But yeah, its a hassle and highly frustrating when you are new and completely ignorant of the system - for somebody else's mistake!

Hope your issue gets fixed soon.

jing2

Feb 1, 2011
this happened to me when i entered canada, my last name was mis spelled in my work permit, i only noticed it when i applied for my SIN, so i called immediately and reported the problem,i got my new work permit with correct spelling after 3 weeks,. But they needed to ask my employer fi some questions regarding my employment with them before they released my corrected work permit.