+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wrong Application? Seriously CIC?

CanuckForEver

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Fellow Board Members,

I have been a silent spectator of this forum all these days. Now I had something that I too can share (but not so good). This forum is so great and love you all guys keeping this communication vibrant.

Getting to the point, my application for citizenship was returned guys. I applied on 1/Dec/2012, the CIC accepted it on 6/Dec/2012. But on 25/Jan/2013 they have decided that I didn't use their new application for applying for citizenship. But here's the disconnect, correct me guys if I'm wrong.

1. The new PDF file that they uploaded is effective only from 1/Jan/2013 and I mailed my application on 1/Dec/2012, so how come my application was an outdated one, quite confusing!

2. Secondly, there's not much difference between these applications. The CIC forgot to include a whole bunch of documents in the previous version's check list in the last page. I blindly followed this checklist to submit my application and missed my passport copies, IELTS test report copy and bunch of other documents. I didn't go through the CIC website's long list of instructions. (Okay I understand its partly my bad, but come on guys I did follow the application's check list!) I was able to figure out this discrepancy after I applied and went through several posts in this forum and saw I had no idea about submitting certain documents that they were talking about.

3. CIC did give me an Annex A through which I can submit an updated application and opt either for continuing my processing or a refund. I want to go further, so would choose option 1. I'm only hoping that there are no serious repercussions as a resultant of this event. I don't even say wanna that 'R' word, it has become an ugly word for many forum members now.

What do you say guys?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They started posting about the language requirements on the website on November 15th so it sounds like your application was incomplete when you sent it without you realizing it because they hadn't changed the checklist then.

Yes, it's unfair but there's nothing much you can do about it. I am sure they will not hold it against you. Do your application again and make sure you have your IELTS and other stuff. I would also include proof of staying in Canada even if it is not on the check list. Photocopy all the pages of your passport. Write on the copies to which trip of your residency calculation each stamp corresponds as in (Trip to (country), date1 through date2). Also send them your tax info and a reference letter from your employer(s) stating that you worked for them in which period. Having that extra evidence I would think would really make it less likely for you to get an RQ.

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/2/2013
Doc's Request.
28/1/2014
AOR Received.
Stage 1 22/3/2013 & Stage 2 Aug 2013
File Transfer...
27-3-2013
Med's Done....
31-1-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
Leon said:
They started posting about the language requirements on the website on November 15th so it sounds like your application was incomplete when you sent it without you realizing it because they hadn't changed the checklist then.

Yes, it's unfair but there's nothing much you can do about it. I am sure they will not hold it against you. Do your application again and make sure you have your IELTS and other stuff. I would also include proof of staying in Canada even if it is not on the check list. Photocopy all the pages of your passport. Write on the copies to which trip of your residency calculation each stamp corresponds as in (Trip to (country), date1 through date2). Also send them your tax info and a reference letter from your employer(s) stating that you worked for them in which period. Having that extra evidence I would think would really make it less likely for you to get an RQ.
Hi Leon

Sorry I could not understand the subject of this thread. What are these new forms you guys are talking about here. I do ours (Family Spouse) and we are about ready to mail them this week. I used the kit to dl these forms in November. Do I have to look for something new?
Thanking you in advance
messenger

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
messenger said:
Hi Leon

Sorry I could not understand the subject of this thread. What are these new forms you guys are talking about here. I do ours (Family Spouse) and we are about ready to mail them this week. I used the kit to dl these forms in November. Do I have to look for something new?
Thanking you in advance
messenger
Yes, there is a new form dated January 2013. This is a problem when you print out forms to use later. You always have to check back before you mail if there are any changes in the immigration class, rules, checklist, documents required or new forms. Print out the new forms from the CIC website, transfer your information over to them and go through the check list and instructions again.

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/2/2013
Doc's Request.
28/1/2014
AOR Received.
Stage 1 22/3/2013 & Stage 2 Aug 2013
File Transfer...
27-3-2013
Med's Done....
31-1-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
Leon said:
Yes, there is a new form dated January 2013. This is a problem when you print out forms to use later. You always have to check back before you mail if there are any changes in the immigration class, rules, checklist, documents required or new forms. Print out the new forms from the CIC website, transfer your information over to them and go through the check list and instructions again.
Hi Leon
(and to anyone interested)
You are definetelly correct! There are a few forms and I already downloaded them and transferred the info.
These are:
1. Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement an.d Undertaking [IMM 1344] (PDF, 356 KB)
2. Document Checklist [IMM 5491] (PDF, 159 KB)
3. Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] (PDF, 536 KB)
4. Schedule A – Background-Declaration [IMM 5669] (PDF, 170 KB)
The rest of them are the same

Regards
messenger

Zizo 2012

Jan 25, 2013
I applied dec 12, 2012 using 11/2012 version with correct checklist!! Maybe the problem is ur checklist and not the version. U have to follow the correct checklist

CanuckForEver

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Zizo 2012 said:
I applied dec 12, 2012 using 11/2012 version with correct checklist!! Maybe the problem is ur checklist and not the version. U have to follow the correct checklist
Hi Zizo,

Yes you're partly correct. My application was also incomplete. But here's the thing, you prepared the checklist from reading the lengthy help guide in the CIC website. Im pretty much sure of that. Whereas I blindly followed the application form's checklist which was partly my mistake too. So I followed the checklist but not from both the places, I thought that would be redundant. Nevertheless, the odds were against me. :'(

Im glad that it worked out for you. Cheers!

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
Photocopy all the pages of your passport. Write on the copies to which trip of your residency calculation each stamp corresponds as in (Trip to (country), date1 through date2). Also send them your tax info and a reference letter from your employer(s) stating that you worked for them in which period. Having that extra evidence I would think would really make it less likely for you to get an RQ.
Hi Leon, thanks for your notes. Do you think it will be helpful to include all trips? In the past 4 years I only had 3 trips to US, but on my passport there are 7 or 8 in total. I don't know if sending copies of all pages will make me look suspicious?

Some people think it's better not include things not on the check list. I wonder if anyone has positive experience submitting these supplementary docs, eg tax info, ref letter from employers, will help the process and less likely to get RQ. Thanks a lot.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will write on the copies of the passport that the trips older than 4 yrs. ago don't count because they are older than 4 years. If I was applying today, I would certainly include all the stuff I mentioned. When I applied, I sent the bare minimum and my application took 2.5 years to get processed. I never ordered my notes so I don't actually know why and they never asked me for anything so maybe it wasn't really connected, I don't know.

John P.

Star Member
Apr 2, 2013
Why did the CIC have to return your application unprocessed for using the previous application form version? I you were referring to the form with the 9 2012 date my dad too used that very version, he just submitted his application package several days after you had sent yours and it's now in process and I am very optimistic about it. Hope he gets a good result before my dad's planned travel outside of Canada. I advise you to change your application forms and try sending them again.

CanuckForEver

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
John P. said:
Why did the CIC have to return your application unprocessed for using the previous application form version? I you were referring to the form with the 9 2012 date my dad too used that very version, he just submitted his application package several days after you had sent yours and it's now in process and I am very optimistic about it. Hope he gets a good result before my dad's planned travel outside of Canada. I advise you to change your application forms and try sending them again.
Hi John, I tried to explain it in one of my posts above

My application was also incomplete. But here's the thing, you/your dad prepared the checklist from reading the lengthy help guide in the CIC website. Im pretty much sure of that. Whereas I blindly followed the application form's checklist which was partly my mistake too. I only followed the checklist from app form which was incomplete, not the CIC web site's help guide which was complete and exhaustive. I thought that looking at both places would be redundant. Nevertheless, the odds were against me. So as per the app checklist, passport pages, education transcripts, tax papers were not listed as items. Call me crazy, but I just hastily compiled my
app package just relying on this incomplete list and sent it out.

Im glad that it worked out for you and your dad hopefully it should all be fine. Cheers!

tst

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
Leon said:
Yes, there is a new form dated January 2013. This is a problem when you print out forms to use later. You always have to check back before you mail if there are any changes in the immigration class, rules, checklist, documents required or new forms. Print out the new forms from the CIC website, transfer your information over N them and go through the check list and instructions again.
Leon,

My file is in process from Nov 2002, Should I send my CBSA, health report & all other documents now?
Will it make any deference ?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tst said:
Leon,

My file is in process from Nov 2002, Should I send my CBSA, health report & all other documents now?
Will it make any deference ?

Thanks
Since you already sent in your application, you might as well wait and see if they ask you for anything. Maybe they wont.