+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WRITTEN AUTHORIZATION REQUEST - ETA HOLDER, NEED HELP!!

chiziami

Nov 24, 2020
I need some help with the written authorization request to travel to Canada for immediate family members of temporary residents.

My sister sent in her request to stay with my parents due to her mental health and she is planning to stay longer than a few months and extending her stay legally when needed. She attached the doctor’s sick note, birth certificate and parents temporary permits but they still refused her. By the way, she holds a valid ETA.

- Their reason for refusal:
Based on our assessment of the information you provided and the information in our system, we have not found that you meet the immediate family member exemption. In particular,
you have not established that your reasons for travelling are non-discretionary or non-optional.
The travel restrictions apply to all travel of an optional or discretionary nature, such as tourism, entertainment or recreation.

Not sure what else they need so she can get it approved. She’s not going for tourism but for emotional support and care and doesn't have anyone else to support her or stay with her.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I need some help with the written authorization request to travel to Canada for immediate family members of temporary residents.

My sister sent in her request to stay with my parents due to her mental health and she is planning to stay longer than a few months and extending her stay legally when needed. She attached the doctor’s sick note, birth certificate and parents temporary permits but they still refused her. By the way, she holds a valid ETA.

- Their reason for refusal:
Based on our assessment of the information you provided and the information in our system, we have not found that you meet the immediate family member exemption. In particular,
you have not established that your reasons for travelling are non-discretionary or non-optional.
The travel restrictions apply to all travel of an optional or discretionary nature, such as tourism, entertainment or recreation.

Not sure what else they need so she can get it approved. She’s not going for tourism but for emotional support and care and doesn't have anyone else to support her or stay with her.
I'll be honest - her situation is pretty unusual.

Usually in these situations the individual who needs support is in Canada - and the person who is traveling from outside of Canada (and requesting authorization) is the one who is coming to support them. Your sister's situation is the opposite.

Since your sister is the one who needs the support, your parents would normally be the ones traveling to support her (vs. her traveling to get support from them).

Is your sister alone in her home country? What is your parents' status in Canada? Did they demonstrate why they cannot travel to see her?

Also - how old is your sister?

Tricky situation...

chiziami

Nov 24, 2020
I'll be honest - her situation is pretty unusual.

Usually in these situations the individual who needs support is in Canada - and the person who is traveling from outside of Canada (and requesting authorization) is the one who is coming to support them. Your sister's situation is the opposite.

Since your sister is the one who needs the support, your parents would normally be the ones traveling to support her (vs. her traveling to get support from them).

Is your sister alone in her home country? What is your parents' status in Canada? Did they demonstrate why they cannot travel to see her?

Also - how old is your sister?

Tricky situation...
My mom travelled to her and stayed for two months but due to work commitments and lack of salary for two months she has some financial issues and she needs to go back so she was thinking of going back with my sister. My dad just came to Canada and is actively looking for jobs but he’s a newcomer so for now, my mom’s salary is the sole income supporting the family in Canada.

My sister is 20 years old and my parents have Work Permits.

The problem is that if my mom leaves without her she literally won’t have anyone to support her and that’s the worse thing that can happen to someone struggling with mental health in this COVID crisis.

chiziami

Nov 24, 2020
You say immediate family of temporary residents...how is she eligible to travel? How old is she?
She’s 20 years old and according to the IRCC website if you need the immediate family member criteria and your purpose for travel is Family Reunification then in theory you’re eligible.

She’s not going for a short visit and she has attached all the documents to prove that. She’s stopped going to university as well due to her mental health. The request she sent was quite clear on that point.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My mom travelled to her and stayed for two months but due to work commitments and lack of salary for two months she has some financial issues and she needs to go back so she was thinking of going back with my sister. My dad just came to Canada and is actively looking for jobs but he’s a newcomer so for now, my mom’s salary is the sole income supporting the family in Canada.

My sister is 20 years old and my parents have Work Permits.

The problem is that if my mom leaves without her she literally won’t have anyone to support her and that’s the worse thing that can happen to someone struggling with mental health in this COVID crisis.
All you can do is reapply. I'm assuming she's alone in the country where she is now (i.e. no other family members in that country). Probably a good idea to show evidence of that.

Even in situations where people feel the have strong reasons for getting the authorization approved, we are still seeing refusals. It's by no means guaranteed.

Apply again. But you will also want to make sure you have a "plan B" in the event it's another refusals.

Good luck.

chiziami

Nov 24, 2020
All you can do is reapply. I'm assuming she's alone in the country where she is now (i.e. no other family members in that country). Probably a good idea to show evidence of that.

Even in situations where people feel the have strong reasons for getting the authorization approved, we are still seeing refusals. It's by no means guaranteed.

Apply again. But you will also want to make sure you have a "plan B" in the event it's another refusals.

Good luck.
but how do I show that she has no one else? It’s not really straightforward but thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
but how do I show that she has no one else? It’s not really straightforward but thank you.
Well if she has no family members in her home country, then I guess she could show this by showing evidence that you are living in a different country (same for any other siblings if you have them).