+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wow..1 month and COPR received

M

mikeymyke

Well I don't agree with your MP office about TRVs being denied 98% of the time. I think it's just that a large majority of the time, people who apply for them don't know how to do it. In a way I can't fault them for being refused because for example, how is one supposed to know you should only ask for 2-3 weeks of stay? Or how much $ you should show in your bank account? Or that you should have some form of travel history to countries requiring a visa? Or that having family in Canada would make it less likely for you to be approved? Or that you should be giving detailed plans as to what you will be doing in Canada rather than the generic "I'm here to spend time with my ____".

My wife got a TRV despite being married to me at the time, from Vietnam (a country requiring biometrics), had her PR application pending, yet she got multiple entry TRV for life of passport. Also her mom got a supervisa for life of her passport as well. I prepared both applications.

I wouldn't lie, I'd probably get refused if it wasn't for this forum, since I wouldn't have known what to look for when applying, as I'm sure a majority of TRV applicants would be sending in the bare minimum for required documents. However, I do remember a lot of members here told me to forget about applying for the TRV because its a "99% refusal rate", or that it's "impossible." Now some of these same people are starting to change their tune, by saying "Its a good chance you will be refused, but it wouldn't hurt to try", rather than "Don't bother, it's a 99% refusal rate".

Don't get me wrong, there are people who have excellent applications that still get refused, or people with poor ones get approved, it's stupid really. But rather than complain about the system, we can only just work with what we're given.

I can't tell you how many times someone who just got refused a TRV would say something like, "I got refused for purpose of visit, I said I wanted to come to see my wife, what more do they want?" or that "I have $20000 in the bank, why was I refused due to financial reasons? My brother did deposit $15,000 into it however". or "I wanted to stay for 2 months, but I got refused for Length of proposed stay". etc

Canusa2016

Mar 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2016
AOR Received.
08-06-2016
File Transfer...
SA approval 27-07-2016, started processing 29-07-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
12-08-2016
denokarter said:
we applied outland but shes actually living with me in toronto , i guess were just going to go to niagara falls U.S and cross and have them sign the papers !
Congratulations! Out of curiosity, what did you wife list as her "current residence" on the application?

Thanks!

S_and_C

Star Member
Apr 12, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 11, 2016 (recd June 13 by CIC)
AOR Received.
June 30, 2016
File Transfer...
SA: August 11, 2016
Med's Done....
Up Front: May 5, 2016
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
mikeymyke said:
Well I don't agree with your MP office about TRVs being denied 98% of the time. I think it's just that a large majority of the time, people who apply for them don't know how to do it. In a way I can't fault them for being refused because for example, how is one supposed to know you should only ask for 2-3 weeks of stay? Or how much $ you should show in your bank account? Or that you should have some form of travel history to countries requiring a visa? Or that having family in Canada would make it less likely for you to be approved? Or that you should be giving detailed plans as to what you will be doing in Canada rather than the generic "I'm here to spend time with my ____".

My wife got a TRV despite being married to me at the time, from Vietnam (a country requiring biometrics), had her PR application pending, yet she got multiple entry TRV for life of passport. Also her mom got a supervisa for life of her passport as well. I prepared both applications.

I wouldn't lie, I'd probably get refused if it wasn't for this forum, since I wouldn't have known what to look for when applying, as I'm sure a majority of TRV applicants would be sending in the bare minimum for required documents. However, I do remember a lot of members here told me to forget about applying for the TRV because its a "99% refusal rate", or that it's "impossible." Now some of these same people are starting to change their tune, by saying "Its a good chance you will be refused, but it wouldn't hurt to try", rather than "Don't bother, it's a 99% refusal rate".

Don't get me wrong, there are people who have excellent applications that still get refused, or people with poor ones get approved, it's stupid really. But rather than complain about the system, we can only just work with what we're given.

I can't tell you how many times someone who just got refused a TRV would say something like, "I got refused for purpose of visit, I said I wanted to come to see my wife, what more do they want?" or that "I have $20000 in the bank, why was I refused due to financial reasons? My brother did deposit $15,000 into it however". or "I wanted to stay for 2 months, but I got refused for Length of proposed stay". etc
Hi mikeymyke. I also agree on all your points, when looking back at our first 2 TRV refusals we can see that we naively just didn't provide enough information. My fault, because as a Canadian I applied for a China visa years ago and it was a piece of cake, so I assumed it would be the same for her too and didn't bother to do my research. But as long as we learn along the way I suppose. :)

As for my situation, one could argue that at the time of applying for a TRV we are completely genuinely wanting a short 3-4 week visit. Then once she's here and half way through the visit decide, "I don't want my wife to leave, and she wants to visit for longer, so we'll just apply for an extension so we can wait out the PRV". So it's like a gaping loophole in the system, not blatantly lying, but saying our state of mind right now is that this is a visit, then later change our state of mind and apply for an extension. I wonder if anyone gets approved by saying "our PRV is in process, but my wife and I miss each other terribly, so I want her to visit here and wait out the PRV so could you please issue us a TRV for 6 months and we'll renew it if we need to". That would be the full truth, but it would get rejected in a heartbeat.

In our first TRV way back in January, I actually stated the full truth and said my friend (at the time we were just starting our relationship) will visit me for 2 months, however if she decides to stay longer we will apply for an extension 30 days prior to the visitor visa expiry". So really it compels people to "tell the visa officer what they want to hear" to try and get that TRV. Like you said we can only work with what we have, so we have to play the game.

I too have learned a lot in this forum and also from the MP office as it gives multiple perspectives. From their standpoint, forums are the worst due to misinformation and people giving bad advice. Of course, I've seen that is not the case and there is a lot of good information to be had especially from people's experiences on what does and doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for the additional insight. :)

kitty_T

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2015
Doc's Request.
24-12-2015/ 02-03-2016
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
19-11-2015
Med's Request
upfront- received 02-04-2016
Med's Done....
10-03-2016
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
26-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
19-05-2016
LANDED..........
27-06-2016
S_and_C said:
Thanks kitty_T, yes I read that thread before and got some ideas from it, essentially applying for TRV should include much of the same information as the PRV, and a very detailed letter of invitation and purpose of travel explanation. I've also seen it's best to wait for SA, however if it takes 40 days (calendar or business?) that's just another wait that I just don't want to wait for. Once we get our PRV in process I will see how long it takes, maybe we'll be lucky and they will skip the AOR and give us SA within a few weeks, and then we can apply for the TRV in earnest. The inconsistency in processing between VOs as people have replied, 1 month for COPR to months of waiting and not even an AOR, it's ridiculous really. Anyway, all the remaining documents we need are in the mail so I hope to get them sometime this week. :)

Thanks again for the link and take care,
S_and_C
cool, you are welcome