+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would like to get my fiance into Canada

slickinfinity

Nov 9, 2015
I have a fiance who lives in the Philipines and she has a passport and I tried to do her application online but ran into a few things I didn't quite understand. Do I have to get her a plane ticket before I even apply? Does she also need to get a Canadian bank account or will her national one be ok? Is it a good idea if I have a immigration lawyer handle the application ? Any input would be appreciated.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Chances of a TRV refusal are higher if it appears that the applicant has stronger ties to Canada (fiance/spouse) than to the Philippines.... and may, hence, overstay his/her visit.

Your fiancee must show very good reasons to return home such as her employment/family at home/property ownership, land or leased accommodation/good financial situation, previous travel history, etc.... with proofs.

Also, do go through the document checklist + Instruction Guide on the CIC website. You can submit additional documents to explain your situation.

To answer your questions:
Do I have to get her a plane ticket before I even apply?
No, it's not mandatory.

You can submit provisional flight bookings and mention that these will be confirmed when a TRV is granted.... or, if you still wish to buy tickets then do buy refundable tickets.

Does she also need to get a Canadian bank account or will her national one be ok?
Her local bank + bank statements for XX months for Philippine applicants.... no last-minute large deposits, nothing borrowed (do give an explanation for any large transactions).... and it must match her income.

Is it a good idea if I have a immigration lawyer handle the application ?
You can go through this forum to understand how to prepare a good TRV application. After that, you can decide whether you need the help of an immigration lawyer or not

Cheers :)

slickinfinity

Nov 9, 2015
Thank you that was very helpful. I'll layout my situation and would like some input on the probability or the application being accepted.

We have been a couple since June and I went there for 20 days on October to meet her. She has a low paying job and not much money but I have been sending her money and I have a pretty good job.
She has a lot of family and she is also a direct survivor of typhoon Yolanda, she has a college degree from the her country and speaks/writes perfect english. None of us have had problems with the law and she has a passport and has been to Thailand as a student. I am going to probably use a lawyer just to make sure its all done perfect too so I hope it gets approved.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Based on your inputs, IMHO the chances of your fiancee getting a TRV are low especially if you intend to marry her shortly. The visa officer will assess her personal situation and her ties to the Philippines. Your job, financial situation, etc is secondary for her TRV.

You may want to focus on her employment and her family ties. Also, Thailand does not count as travel history.

Perhaps, an immigration lawyer will be able to present her ties and her purpose of visit more effectively

All the best :)

slickinfinity

Nov 9, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and the information was very helpful. I'll try to get it done as best as I can and hope for the best.