+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

worried TFW

lynnard

Star Member
Jan 6, 2009
Hi!
Im a TFW in alberta with work permit of 2years and it will expire this coming Nov.09. Im under the low skilled job. Im going to deliver my baby this august. My question is can I apply for the FSW here based on my experienced back home. If so, approximately, how long it will take? Because right now, im thinking for the alternative option for me to stay legally here in canada with my coming baby. What suggestions could you give me in order to extend my stay here in canada. Or else, i have to go back home with my baby and dont know how i could be back here again since my baby is a canadian citizen.

thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply for FSW under category 3, that is people who have been working in Canada for a year or more. It will take a bit more time than November though but what you can do to stay is to apply to change your status to visitor. Another woman who was in the same position was told that changing her status from worker to visitor while applying for PR would allow her to stay in Canada, take EI maternity leave money which she had earned the right to and continue her Alberta health coverage.

You need to apply for FSW. You need to go to or call Service Canada and ask about EI maternity benefits. You need to go to or call Alberta Health to make sure you keep your coverage. Once you have a month left on your work permit (October) you should send in an application to change status to visitor. Send a copy of the AOR you will probably have gotten by then for your FSW and tell them you are applying for PR and want to wait for it in Canada. Tell them that you can support yourself with your EI money and send them something to prove your EI benefits. Right now, the change of conditions application is taking 110 days. That means you will not know until January or February 2010 if they will even give you visitor status or not but until then you have implied status. Stay in Canada and they will not kick you out. If they come back and say no and your FSW isn't through yet, then you'd have to leave. If they say yes, of course you can stay.

INCALGARY

Sep 23, 2009
where did you submit your papers? is it in the phils?
im here in canada and wants to apply in the TFW.
can i apply in the phils if i decided to go home without finishing my contract. but have worked ehr for a year already.
i just want to go home for my kids. they need me and i feel homesick already.

hope u can answer my questions.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
INCALGARY said:
where did you submit your papers? is it in the phils?
im here in canada and wants to apply in the TFW.
can i apply in the phils if i decided to go home without finishing my contract. but have worked ehr for a year already.
i just want to go home for my kids. they need me and i feel homesick already.

hope u can answer my questions.
You want to apply as a TFW? You mean FSW? You have to figure out what category you are applying under and read the rules. If you want to apply as a skilled worker under category 3, that is people who have been working in Canada for a year, you must still be in Canada at the time you apply. If you are applying under category 1, that is people who are one of the 38 occupations or under category 2, that is people with a job offer, you can apply any time, anywhere.

If you have been doing a skilled job in Canada for 2 years or more, you would also qualify to apply under CEC and you can do that for up to a year after you leave Canada.