+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Worried my Oath Ceremony will be scheduled when I'm travelling

Quelaag

May 15, 2019
Hello everyone,

I applied for citizenship on February 15th and just completed my citizenship test on March 31st. I was under the impression that the processing time would be around a year, as shown on the official website, which currently says it's 14 months. I have specifically planned around this when submitting my application.

I just looked at the citizenship application tracker spreadsheet and noticed that some applicants from January 2024 were invited to the ceremony one month after completing their test, which completely contradicts the official timeline.

I have already booked a vacation with my family to the US for two weeks from April 30 to May 14, with everything paid for in advance, including non refundable hotel bookings. The vacation has been booked for more than 6 months now. It would cost me a lot of money if I had to cancel everything, as it's not just me travelling solo.

I've read all the posts regarding rescheduling the Oath Ceremony here already, but my question is a bit different: Is it possible to notify IRCC of my travel plans in advance to avoid scheduling my oath during this period? I'd like to inform them before receiving any dates to make sure I'm not scheduled during those 2 weeks I'm outside Canada. If anyone knows who I can contact for this, please share. Thanks!

Alalac

Oct 2, 2021
Hello everyone,

I applied for citizenship on February 15th and just completed my citizenship test on March 31st. I was under the impression that the processing time would be around a year, as shown on the official website, which currently says it's 14 months. I have specifically planned around this when submitting my application.

I just looked at the citizenship application tracker spreadsheet and noticed that some applicants from January 2024 were invited to the ceremony one month after completing their test, which completely contradicts the official timeline.

I have already booked a vacation with my family to the US for two weeks from April 30 to May 14, with everything paid for in advance, including non refundable hotel bookings. The vacation has been booked for more than 6 months now. It would cost me a lot of money if I had to cancel everything, as it's not just me travelling solo.

I've read all the posts regarding rescheduling the Oath Ceremony here already, but my question is a bit different: Is it possible to notify IRCC of my travel plans in advance to avoid scheduling my oath during this period? I'd like to inform them before receiving any dates to make sure I'm not scheduled during those 2 weeks I'm outside Canada. If anyone knows who I can contact for this, please share. Thanks!
If you get the oath invitation you can always send them an email requesting to reschedule. They will ask you if your in Canada. No need to worry about anything, enjoy your trip!

Quelaag

May 15, 2019
If you get the oath invitation you can always send them an email requesting to reschedule. They will ask you if your in Canada. No need to worry about anything, enjoy your trip!
Thanks, I hope that's the case. I've read that some applications were canceled because 'personal travel' wasn't considered a sufficient reason to reschedule, so I wanted to be proactive and let them know in advance. I don't mind waiting for another 6-12 months to be rescheduled for the ceremony, but I'd prefer for my application to not get completely canceled.

Alalac

Oct 2, 2021
Thanks, I hope that's the case. I've read that some applications were canceled because 'personal travel' wasn't considered a sufficient reason to reschedule, so I wanted to be proactive and let them know in advance. I don't mind waiting for another 6-12 months to be rescheduled for the ceremony, but I'd prefer for my application to not get completely canceled.
It won't be at all! No need to send them an email either!

Reactions: Quelaag