+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Worried I might not have sufficient skilled experience

JCUK

Jun 28, 2023
I'm a 31-year-old from the UK.

Hoping to apply for EE in just over 12 months, as I will first need to complete a 1-year Master's degree to obtain more points, as well as ensure a B2 equivalent on my French exam.

I currently have a Bachelor's degree in Physiotherapy, which I studied between 2018-2021.

Since then I have 13 months of experience as a full-time physiotherapist. So I have the minimum one year of skilled experience. The past few months have been working part-time or unemployed.

Prior to 2018 I was working part-time in an 'unskilled' civilian job in the police service, on a zero hours contract.

So essentially the last 10 years of my employment history would look like this, by the time I apply:

2014 - 2018: Unskilled work in police on zero hours contract (obviously earning enough money to live on).
2018 - 2021: Studying a BSc in Physiotherapy.
2021 - 2022: Working full-time as a physiotherapist.
End of 2022 - mid 2023: Working part-time as a physiotherapist (under 15 hours per week).
Mid 2023 - End 2023: Unemployed.
End 2023 - End 2024: Studying MSc degree in Strength and Conditioning. Hopefully part-time physiotherapy work alongside (although likely under 15 hours per week).
End 2024: Apply for EE.

With only ONE period of full-time skilled work for the minimum 12 months in 10 years, plus 4 years of studying.

Realistically is my somewhat patchy work experience likely to affect my application, or will an immigration officer take into account personal factors and periods spent studying etc?

I hope that the key point is that I WILL meet the minimum criteria of 1 year full-time SKILLED work in the last 10 years. So therefore meeting the criteria set out by the Canadian government to be applicable.

I anticipate having about 500-505 CRS points if all goes to plan.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

JCUK

Jun 28, 2023
Bump. Is just having one year of full-time work experience sufficient to fully qualify on that criterion?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Hoping to apply for EE in just over 12 months, as I will first need to complete a 1-year Master's degree to obtain more points, as well as ensure a B2 equivalent on my French exam.

I currently have a Bachelor's degree in Physiotherapy, which I studied between 2018-2021.

Since then I have 13 months of experience as a full-time physiotherapist. So I have the minimum one year of skilled experience. The past few months have been working part-time or unemployed.

Prior to 2018 I was working part-time in an 'unskilled' civilian job in the police service, on a zero hours contract.

So essentially the last 10 years of my employment history would look like this, by the time I apply:

2014 - 2018: Unskilled work in police on zero hours contract (obviously earning enough money to live on).
End of 2022 - mid 2023: Working part-time as a physiotherapist (under 15 hours per week).
End 2023 - End 2024: Studying MSc degree in Strength and Conditioning. Hopefully part-time physiotherapy work alongside (although likely under 15 hours per week).

With only ONE period of full-time skilled work for the minimum 12 months in 10 years, plus 4 years of studying.

Realistically is my somewhat patchy work experience likely to affect my application, or will an immigration officer take into account personal factors and periods spent studying etc?

I hope that the key point is that I WILL meet the minimum criteria of 1 year full-time SKILLED work in the last 10 years. So therefore meeting the criteria set out by the Canadian government to be applicable.

Thanks for any advice.
Would add that you should also contact physiotherapist licensing boards in Canada because physiotherapy is a masters degree in Canada. How much experience needed will be dependent on the EE program and if you have a job offer. Very surprised your CRS is so high with 1 year of experience abroad.

JCUK

Jun 28, 2023
Would add that you should also contact physiotherapist licensing boards in Canada because physiotherapy is a masters degree in Canada. How much experience needed will be dependent on the EE program and if you have a job offer. Very surprised your CRS is so high with 1 year of experience abroad.
Thanks for the reply.

According to the calculator when playing around, my potential CRS score would be brought up purely based on having my Master's degree as well as obtaining a B2 equivalent on my French exam.

Based on the above it comes out at 490 actually after factoring in age when I'll be applying in 18 months or so.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thanks for any advice.
As long as you have at least one year of continuous skilled work experience, you will meet the work experience requirement for EE. The patchy bit is irrelevant.

JCUK

Jun 28, 2023
As long as you have at least one year of continuous skilled work experience, you will meet the work experience requirement for EE. The patchy bit is irrelevant.
Thank you. Good to know that the criteria is interpreted literally.