+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Workpermit Extension Application

yogeshddd

Oct 12, 2010
Experts,

I need your opinion. My current work-permit expires on December 21, 2011. I just received my LMO papers (1 year) by fax today. The new LMO opinion is valid till Jan 1st, 2012 (My understanding is that I need to apply for my work-permit using this LMO before Jan 1st). I figured out from the CIC site that it takes roughly about 80 days for a work-permit application to get processed. Even if i were to make an online application tomorrow, there is very little chance of getting it approved before Dec 21st. So, is there any point in me applying right-away? The reason why i am asking this question is because, my PR application (federal skilled category) is in process and going strictly by the processing times, a decision on my case can be expected by the end of next year. But, as it turns out, for my PR application to get approved, I still need to have a valid work-permit at the time of issuance. So, i am trying to delay it by a couple of months. Does anyone find this advisable?

Thanks

wsongco

Nov 7, 2010
montreal
Visa Office......
CPC VERGREVILLE
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Interview........
24-04-2013 CAQ
LANDED..........
29-08-2013
yogeshddd said:
Experts,

I need your opinion. My current work-permit expires on December 21, 2011. I just received my LMO papers (1 year) by fax today. The new LMO opinion is valid till Jan 1st, 2012 (My understanding is that I need to apply for my work-permit using this LMO before Jan 1st). I figured out from the CIC site that it takes roughly about 80 days for a work-permit application to get processed. Even if i were to make an online application tomorrow, there is very little chance of getting it approved before Dec 21st. So, is there any point in me applying right-away?
as long as you submit youR WP renewal before LMO EXPIRED you are good to go. if you submit you application after January 1st then your LMO IS NOT VALID.
The reason why i am asking this question is because, my PR application (federal skilled category) is in process and going strictly by the processing times, a decision on my case can be expected by the end of next year. But, as it turns out, for my PR application to get approved, I still need to have a valid work-permit at the time of issuance. So, i am trying to delay it by a couple of months. Does anyone find this advisable?
ce correct because the renewal of WP is only valid for one year. so you can send it before december 21 to buy more time. you will be on implied status. but stiil up to you and wait for the senior to give you more advices.
Thanks

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Apply ASAP. The posted times are average processing times. Sometimes it takes longer, sometimes less number of days. You'd at least be on implied status and your WP will be one year from the time it gets approved. Your PR might have been approved before your WP expires the next time around.

yogeshddd said:
Experts,

I need your opinion. My current work-permit expires on December 21, 2011. I just received my LMO papers (1 year) by fax today. The new LMO opinion is valid till Jan 1st, 2012 (My understanding is that I need to apply for my work-permit using this LMO before Jan 1st). I figured out from the CIC site that it takes roughly about 80 days for a work-permit application to get processed. Even if i were to make an online application tomorrow, there is very little chance of getting it approved before Dec 21st. So, is there any point in me applying right-away? The reason why i am asking this question is because, my PR application (federal skilled category) is in process and going strictly by the processing times, a decision on my case can be expected by the end of next year. But, as it turns out, for my PR application to get approved, I still need to have a valid work-permit at the time of issuance. So, i am trying to delay it by a couple of months. Does anyone find this advisable?

Thanks

justtheme

May 2, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo >> Ottawa >> Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2010
AOR Received.
03-09-2011
IELTS Request
7.5 / 9
File Transfer...
03-09-2011
Med's Request
29-5-2013
Med's Done....
10-6-2013
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
26-9-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made
LANDED..........
Already in Canada
Hi,

When did you apply for your LMO? How long did it take for it to be approved? Did you apply in Ontario?

I applied on Sept. 6 and I'm wondering about the processing times. My work permit expires on Nov. 17.

Thanks! :)

solit

Star Member
Sep 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 27 - received by cio ns
Med's Request
aug 25
Med's Done....
oct 4 - ecas showing received application
justtheme said:
Hi,

When did you apply for your LMO? How long did it take for it to be approved? Did you apply in Ontario?

I applied on Sept. 6 and I'm wondering about the processing times. My work permit expires on Nov. 17.

hi you can apply online for the extension of your work permit while waiting for your new lmo, for the meantime attach your new work contract and copy of your passport in your application, then once you received your new lmo, you can just call the immigration and give your new lmo's confirmation number.

ynoweh

Sep 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 21, 2013
Doc's Request.
Jan. 29, 2014 (PCC)
AOR Received.
July 9, 2013
File Transfer...
July 22, 2013
Med's Request
Jan. 29, 2014
Med's Done....
March 1 & 10, 2014 MR Received....: April 3, 2014
Passport Req..
April 12, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
April 16, 2014; VISA Received: April 24, 2014
LANDED..........
May 9, 2014
justtheme said:
Hi,

Hello! Just to give you a piece of info somehow, my husband got his LMO in 2.5 months (Ontario) but some got theirs in 3 months time..
Take solit's advice.

justtheme

May 2, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo >> Ottawa >> Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2010
AOR Received.
03-09-2011
IELTS Request
7.5 / 9
File Transfer...
03-09-2011
Med's Request
29-5-2013
Med's Done....
10-6-2013
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
26-9-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made
LANDED..........
Already in Canada
Thanks! Seems like all immigration channels are slower. I'm also applying for permanent residency and the average wait time at the Buffalo VO is more than 18 months.

ynoweh

Sep 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 21, 2013
Doc's Request.
Jan. 29, 2014 (PCC)
AOR Received.
July 9, 2013
File Transfer...
July 22, 2013
Med's Request
Jan. 29, 2014
Med's Done....
March 1 & 10, 2014 MR Received....: April 3, 2014
Passport Req..
April 12, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
April 16, 2014; VISA Received: April 24, 2014
LANDED..........
May 9, 2014
justtheme said:
Thanks! Seems like all immigration channels are slower. I'm also applying for permanent residency and the average wait time at the Buffalo VO is more than 18 months.
Hi! You could be right but we should be patient in dealing with this for it will surely come --- in due time.... Just keep your faith.. Good luck!!! :)