Med's Done....
06-11-2014
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
21-03-2015
I have received my and dependents' Visas last month. When I was reviewing it, I realized that my validity is only 1 year while my wife (sowp) and daughter (trv) both have 2 years validity.

Is this a mistake from the Canadian Embassy here in Manila? Will my work permit at the point of entry be affected?

My LMO indicates 2 years for the duration of my work.

Thanks a lot in advance.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Answered you on another forum kabayan, but here goes, on another thought I will need to clarify my answer -

You have in your possession a visa (counterfoil attached to passport) to enter Canada - an entry document. It only allows you entry into the country and will be used for that purpose. It means you can enter the country before the expiry of visa (i.e. within 1 year). If this is multiple-entry, then you an exit/enter the country within that period. Your wife/kid also has visas - entry documents that allow entry into the country within the 2year period.

Now - upon entry, you will be issued a WP (separate document) that also includes/specifies duration of temp residence. Usually, the determining factor of the duration will be the validity of your passport. As you are a TFW, hence "temp" in nature, they do not issue WPs beyond the validity of your passport. Your wife/kid will be issued either a stamp (thus 6 months) or if tied to your status (most likely), will be issued a Visitor Record (separate document) with the duration same as what was given you.

/hope this helps....let me know if you need anything else...

Cabalen said:
I have received my and dependents' Visas last month. When I was reviewing it, I realized that my validity is only 1 year while my wife (sowp) and daughter (trv) both have 2 years validity.

Is this a mistake from the Canadian Embassy here in Manila? Will my work permit at the point of entry be affected?

My LMO indicates 2 years for the duration of my work.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cabalen

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2014
AOR Received.
08-05-2014
Med's Request
05-11-2014
Med's Done....
06-11-2014
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
21-03-2015
ragluf said:
Answered you on another forum kabayan, but here goes, on another thought I will need to clarify my answer -

You have in your possession a visa (counterfoil attached to passport) to enter Canada - an entry document. It only allows you entry into the country and will be used for that purpose. It means you can enter the country before the expiry of visa (i.e. within 1 year). If this is multiple-entry, then you an exit/enter the country within that period. Your wife/kid also has visas - entry documents that allow entry into the country within the 2year period.

Now - upon entry, you will be issued a WP (separate document) that also includes/specifies duration of temp residence. Usually, the determining factor of the duration will be the validity of your passport. As you are a TFW, hence "temp" in nature, they do not issue WPs beyond the validity of your passport. Your wife/kid will be issued either a stamp (thus 6 months) or if tied to your status (most likely), will be issued a Visitor Record (separate document) with the duration same as what was given you.

/hope this helps....let me know if you need anything else...
ragluf said:
What is your passport expiry date? Typically visa/WP validity dates do not extend beyond the validity date of your current passport. As your LMO is valid for 2 years, you can always extend your WP when you are already in Canada, just make sure your passport is valid beyond your LMO date.

/hope this helps...
Hi kabayang ragluf, thank you for the explanation. My passport will be valid until 2017. It was very fortunate that I have renewed my passport before applying for a visa.

If I will be given a 2-year duration for the WP at POE then I want to go back to the Philippines after the 1-year validity of my visa for a vacation, do I need to get a new visa?

Thanks again. :D

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cabalen said:
Hi kabayang ragluf, thank you for the explanation. My passport will be valid until 2017. It was very fortunate that I have renewed my passport before applying for a visa.

If I will be given a 2-year duration for the WP at POE then I want to go back to the Philippines after the 1-year validity of my visa for a vacation, do I need to get a new visa?

Thanks again. :D
Walang problema kabayan. If you are in possession of a single-entry visa now, yup - you will need a re-entry visa to return back to Canada if you plan on going on a vacation later. As soon as you land in a few weeks, the visa you have (if single entry) is already used.

Visa validity simply states up until when you can enter Canada legally. It does not state your duration of residence, nor worker status. The entry visa allows you to travel/come into Canada. The WP (and with it - temporary residence) allows you your status inside Canada - to reside temporarily (temp residence) and to work (WP). Two separate documents - visa and WP. Having in your possession a W-1 visa is a flag for CBSA at PoE to process you further for issuance of your WP. Your wife/child - having been provided visitor visas - are allowed to reside with you in Canada. For them to work/study - their permits need to be changed so their status inside Canada is changed.

As for renewal of visa/application of re-entry - you can apply inland via Ottawa such that you do not have to fall in-line at CEM when you have your vacation. This way, you have in your possession a re-entry visa before leaving for a vacation. As long as your LMO is valid, as well as an EC is valid and you are still working for the same employer , you can renew your re-entry visa using those same documents.

/hope this helps.....

Cabalen

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2014
AOR Received.
08-05-2014
Med's Request
05-11-2014
Med's Done....
06-11-2014
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
21-03-2015
ragluf said:
Walang problema kabayan. If you are in possession of a single-entry visa now, yup - you will need a re-entry visa to return back to Canada if you plan on going on a vacation later. As soon as you land in a few weeks, the visa you have (if single entry) is already used.

Visa validity simply states up until when you can enter Canada legally. It does not state your duration of residence, nor worker status. The entry visa allows you to travel/come into Canada. The WP (and with it - temporary residence) allows you your status inside Canada - to reside temporarily (temp residence) and to work (WP). Two separate documents - visa and WP. Having in your possession a W-1 visa is a flag for CBSA at PoE to process you further for issuance of your WP. Your wife/child - having been provided visitor visas - are allowed to reside with you in Canada. For them to work/study - their permits need to be changed so their status inside Canada is changed.

As for renewal of visa/application of re-entry - you can apply inland via Ottawa such that you do not have to fall in-line at CEM when you have your vacation. This way, you have in your possession a re-entry visa before leaving for a vacation. As long as your LMO is valid, as well as an EC is valid and you are still working for the same employer , you can renew your re-entry visa using those same documents.

/hope this helps.....
Thanks a lot ragluf for the detailed explanation. I was worried before that when I fly to Canada my WP will be cut short because of the 1-year visa stamped in my passport and then next the renewal of the visa. But then again, I have nothing to worry about for I am in the right track and the process is straightforward.

Thank you again for your sharing this information.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cabalen said:
Thanks a lot ragluf for the detailed explanation. I was worried before that when I fly to Canada my WP will be cut short because of the 1-year visa stamped in my passport and then next the renewal of the visa. But then again, I have nothing to worry about for I am in the right track and the process is straightforward.

Thank you again for your sharing this information.
Even if by some error CBSA does issue you only a 1-yr WP (it has been known to happen...), you still have recourse to apply a few months (1-2) before your initial WP expires. However, this also opens other issues with regards to the timing of your vacation. Best way forward is make sure they see in your EC and LMO that the employment duration is 2 years and get a WP issued immediately for 2years.

IMHO, if you can, get a letter of employment/certificate from your employer as a cover letter to the EC (or the original job offer letter is better) that you can use for presentation to the CBSA officers at PoE. Usually these officers would like to see a summary of details instead of perusing through the EC for the dates/durations/terms of employment. This directs the attention of the officer to the proper dates, instead of focusing on the visa validity dates as basis for your WP.

Good luck!