+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working temporarily in Canada: Special categories—IT workers

Jul 31, 2009
Hi,
I am an IT person. I have few queries :

1) I think i fall under "Special categories—IT workers" category. I think i will have to get a work permit. Do i have to find an employer before getting this work permit? What will be the duration of this work permit?

2) Will i be able to leave canada and visit my native country(India) for few days, go back to canada during my work permit period?

3) What's the procedure to apply for work permit ?

4) Do i have to LMO from HRSDC?

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
1) You find an employer. If your job falls under "Special Categories - IT Workers" then you can apply for the work permit with the job offer (the employer does not need to get LMO / HRSDC confirmation). The duration depends on the employer.

2) Yes, if you have the multiple-entry temporary resident visa (TRV).

3) Find an employer who is willing to recruit you, get the job and apply.

4) You do not, the employer will have to apply for LMO if the job requires one.

chiclets

Jul 30, 2009
2) Will i be able to leave canada and visit my native country(India) for few days, go back to canada during my work permit period?
I applied from India. There is no section in the application to apply for multiple-entry. In my understanding, you will get single entry visa only. If you have to go back, you will have to either apply TRV beforehand (from USA) or apply from India after you land there.

MCBoy

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The first Item in the application form is to specify if it is Single Entry or Multiple entry visa. If you do not have that in the application, probably you are using the wrong one! Check on the CIC website!

R

rishabshanker

Hi Sandeep,

Can you please give some more details regarding this "Special Category - IT workers". I am also in the IT field and am planning to move to Canada as an immigrant, but it would be better if I could reach there prior to that as a TFW. Please let me know how this process works, also if possible can you or somebody else here let me know how to get an open work permit?? Thanks all

Cheers,
Rishab

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
Some of the occupations under Special Category IT workers (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-tech.asp).You would have to find an employer who wants to recruit you. He does not have to apply for LMO/HRSDC confirmation if it is under special category, you can get the work permit a lot faster (if you have already applied for permanent residency then it would be difficult to get the visa as CIC would assume that you would overstay).

You cannot apply for open work permit unless your spouse is skilled worker (regular work permit), your spouse is a student (study permit), your spouse is Canadian citizen/PR who is sponsoring inland and with first stage approval) or you are a live-in caregiver applying for PR.

R

rishabshanker

Thanks accreddy...I guess I dont qualify for the special cat IT worker visa then...I think I'll just have to sit tight and wait for my PR ...damn...the wait is gruelling..:)

Cheers,
Rishab

kishore

Nov 11, 2008
Hi ACCreddy

I have been in canada from last 1yr under work permit( IT -Special categories). My question is can i apply for PR.

Thanks in advance

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
Yes, you can apply under Federal Skilled Immigration, category-3 (which says you have been in Canada for past 12 months as a student or worker).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp
(you would have to score 67 pts.)

You can also check if you are eligible for applying under Provincial Immigration since you are already working in Canada.

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
If your PR application is in process then it will be difficult to get temporary resident visa (TRV).

For TRV you have to convince CIC that you will not overstay (but by applying for PR your intention is move permanently).

mcgyver

Apr 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-05-2014
Nomination.....
11-06-2014
AOR Received.
11-08-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
16-04-2015
Med's Done....
29-04-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-06-2015 Decision Made: 30-06-2015 PP Submitted...: 1-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
10-07-2015 PP Returned....: 11-08-2015
LANDED..........
01-10-2015
Re: Working temporarily in Canada: Special categories—IT workers

This whole thing is a paradox, I think. I don't know why CIC is reluctant to approve work visa if the applicant has already applied for PR. I mean, he/she has not done anything illegal other than following the right process to file a PR application to CIC! So what's wrong even if the intention is permanent? Of course it is permanent. And why would an applicant overstay if his/her valid work permit expires? If he/she does, that will be a red negative mark which, in turn, can be the cause of refusal on his/her PR application.

An IT professional has a sense of self-respect and is well aware that dignity is important for him/her. An IT professional is intelligent enough to realize that overstaying would do nothing better than jeoperdizing his/her profile, having himself/herself blacklisted as an illegal alien, and definitely getting the PR application rejected. A dignified person is never that desperate to overstay, which he/she knows is illegal.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
chiclets said:
I applied from India. There is no section in the application to apply for multiple-entry. In my understanding, you will get single entry visa only. If you have to go back, you will have to either apply TRV beforehand (from USA) or apply from India after you land there.
Yup, you're right. There's no section for a multiple/single entry visa in the application form for work permit.