+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Remotely for US Company as a Visitor?

andi.t

Apr 11, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
09-06-2020
AOR Received.
03-02-2021
Med's Request
19-02-2021
I'm a US citizen currently in Canada as a visitor, and I've been unemployed since I arrived. I intend to apply for permanent residency through family sponsorship at the end of the year.

A Canadian business owner that I know is starting a company in Texas, with his Canadian business as the parent company (I believe). He has offered me a remote position through his US company, but I'm hesitant to accept the offer. I'm concerned I may be considered competing on the Canadian labor market, since I would be physically located in the office of his Canadian business.

I'm having a difficult time finding info about this specific kind of scenario on the immigration website. I've also tried calling the IRCC support center, but I haven't been able to get through to them. Does anyone have advice or resources for me to look at?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you are working in the office, you may well be considered a Canadian employee. This one's tough, because the law around definition of employee is complicated.

Reactions: bellaluna

andi.t

Apr 11, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
09-06-2020
AOR Received.
03-02-2021
Med's Request
19-02-2021
If you are working in the office, you may well be considered a Canadian employee. This one's tough, because the law around definition of employee is complicated.
Thank you for your reply - that's exactly my concern. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my PR application, but I can't find any explicit info on how the laws would apply in this case. Do you think the IRCC support center would be able to advise me, if I could get through to them?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thank you for your reply - that's exactly my concern. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my PR application, but I can't find any explicit info on how the laws would apply in this case. Do you think the IRCC support center would be able to advise me, if I could get through to them?
Nope this is out of their league. An immigration lawyer specializing in temporary foreign work is preferable.