+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Permit & PR Application at the same time?

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
Hi guys,

I already passed my hearing successfully and still waiting for the official letter from IRB. My status previously was Student Permit and I'm only allowed to work part-time max 20 hours.

My questions:

1. Can I apply for Working Permit and PR at the same time (different application of course)?
2. I know that I can still continue my study after I get the working permit (I did check on this forum and CIC website), however can I work like some sort of freelance job of my own (that means I trade my professional skills with money) WHILE waiting for my working permit?
3. I did a little research on for the PR application, and a bit confused on the payment method(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/index.asp). After I choose where I'm paying from: Canada > What are you paying a fee for: Immigration > What are you paying for? (I don't know which one should I choose) ???

The reason I'm asking #2 is because I will report all of my income for my first tax report (as a good tax payers that I am 8)) and I don't want to stir any hot water before I get my PR (and my pre-Citizenship track record) ;D.

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'll help with question #2. You cannot do work of any kind until you have a work permit. This includes freelancing.

LuckyGirl88

Oct 21, 2016
betteka said:
Hi guys,

I already passed my hearing successfully and still waiting for the official letter from IRB. My status previously was Student Permit and I'm only allowed to work part-time max 20 hours.

My questions:

1. Can I apply for Working Permit and PR at the same time (different application of course)?
2. I know that I can still continue my study after I get the working permit (I did check on this forum and CIC website), however can I work like some sort of freelance job of my own (that means I trade my professional skills with money) WHILE waiting for my working permit?
3. I did a little research on for the PR application, and a bit confused on the payment method(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/index.asp). After I choose where I'm paying from: Canada > What are you paying a fee for: Immigration > What are you paying for? (I don't know which one should I choose) ???

The reason I'm asking #2 is because I will report all of my income for my first tax report (as a good tax payers that I am 8)) and I don't want to stir any hot water before I get my PR (and my pre-Citizenship track record) ;D.

Thanks!

yes you can, work permit and PR both are applied separately. After you become a PR, you no longer need a work permit and SIN card starting with number 9. you will get your permanent SIN card after you get your PR.

It doesn't take much time to get work permit. so go on apply today, you will get in some weeks.

Where are you paying from? (required) Canada
What are you paying a fee for? (required) Immigration
What are you paying for? (required) Protected Person In Canada

Dont worry about tax file from now. you will be paying taxes the second before you die ! Citizenship is so far far away from now. your residency requirement for citizenship will start after you get your PR. so dont think about it now.

good luck

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
LuckyGirl88 said:

yes you can, work permit and PR both are applied separately. After you become a PR, you no longer need a work permit and SIN card starting with number 9. you will get your permanent SIN card after you get your PR.

It doesn't take much time to get work permit. so go on apply today, you will get in some weeks.

Where are you paying from? (required) Canada
What are you paying a fee for? (required) Immigration
What are you paying for? (required) Protected Person In Canada

Dont worry about tax file from now. you will be paying taxes the second before you die ! Citizenship is so far far away from now. your residency requirement for citizenship will start after you get your PR. so dont think about it now.

good luck
Thanks for the very thorough answers! :)

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
scylla said:
I'll help with question #2. You cannot do work of any kind until you have a work permit. This includes freelancing.
You do know that some students are permitted to work for certain amounts of hours?
Including myself, it was written on my Study Pemit that I'm allowed to work on/off campus for max of 20 hours/week.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
You can only work while you are a full time student, since you graduated you are no longer a full time student, therefore you are not allowed to work on your study permit until you obtain your work permit.

LuckyGirl88

Oct 21, 2016
betteka said:
You do know that some students are permitted to work for certain amounts of hours?
Including myself, it was written on my Study Pemit that I'm allowed to work on/off campus for max of 20 hours/week.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp
your study permit is void now. now you are a protected person. and you will have your workpermit that is open. you can work for any amount of hours with any employer that's why it is called open work permit. on that work permit you will have your SIN Card starting with number 9. that SIN card is temporary and you will get a permanent SIN number after you get your PR.

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
LuckyGirl88 said:
your study permit is void now. now you are a protected person. and you will have your workpermit that is open. you can work for any amount of hours with any employer that's why it is called open work permit. on that work permit you will have your SIN Card starting with number 9. that SIN card is temporary and you will get a permanent SIN number after you get your PR.
You definitely never read CIC website and doesn't read any information people gave you, huh?
I wrote clearly and by the facts I am still studying right now as IRCC told me that I can still continue my study, backed up by from CIC: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/protected.asp

Secondly, I already have my SIN the first moment I arrive in Canada as a student. You don't need to apply for a working permit to get a SIN number.

PLEASE STOP GIVING PEOPLE MISINFORMATION ON YOUR LACK OF KNOWLEDGE BASE ON ASSUMPTIONS ON THIS FORUM.

Plus, I don't think people would listen to any of your advise coming from a person that would go back to home country (and/or renew their home country passport) after got their refugee status and you justify that action >> http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/passport-seized-t447382.30.html