25-02-2015
Med's Request
28-10-2105
Med's Done....
10-11-2015
Passport Req..
19-01-2016
Hi,
I am sponsoring my husband for Permanent Residence. So, under the eligibility requirements it says that you are NOT eligible if as a sponsor you receive social assistance for a reason other than disability.

I was doing my taxes and found out that I am eligible to claim for Working Income Tax Benefit (WITB). Though it says benefit but on some other places it is mentioned as a tax credit. I am not exactly sure if it comes under social welfare.

My question is, Should I go ahead and claim it on my Tax Return if it's a tax credit OR not take the risk if it puts my sponsorship application in jeopardy??

Please provide input.

Thank you.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hi,
I am sponsoring my husband for Permanent Residence. So, under the eligibility requirements it says that you are NOT eligible if as a sponsor you receive social assistance for a reason other than disability.

I was doing my taxes and found out that I am eligible to claim for Working Income Tax Benefit (WITB). Though it says benefit but on some other places it is mentioned as a tax credit. I am not exactly sure if it comes under social welfare.

My question is, Should I go ahead and claim it on my Tax Return if it's a tax credit OR not take the risk if it puts my sponsorship application in jeopardy??

Please provide input.

Thank you.
I think WITB is a refundable tax credit and not a social assistance payment........maybe you should ask an accountant or call CRA.

Working income tax benefit (WITB)

Social assistance payments

Reactions: samakh