+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working hours of the extended thesis based program

jacky.love

Feb 1, 2024
I’m doing thesis-based program and I was supposed to complete the program this April, but my prof told me it’s highly possible for me to extend the graduation by one term because of the progress of the thesis work. This means I will have to enroll in one more term and become a part-time student this summer. My student visa will expire in Sep.

I’m wondering how I can be eligible to work over 20 hours off-campus during this summer (May to August) in this case. Can I enroll in another college program now and extend my student visa to be eligible to work over 20 hours? Or should I try working holiday visa now? Or should I slow down the thesis work and extend my graduation further until the end of this year?

please kindly advise me to secure a job opportunity which I just got the offer and I’m really eager to do this job at all costs legally. Any advice is welcome. Thanks so much!

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
I’m doing thesis-based program and I was supposed to complete the program this April, but my prof told me it’s highly possible for me to extend the graduation by one term because of the progress of the thesis work. This means I will have to enroll in one more term and become a part-time student this summer. My student visa will expire in Sep.

I’m wondering how I can be eligible to work over 20 hours off-campus during this summer (May to August) in this case. Can I enroll in another college program now and extend my student visa to be eligible to work over 20 hours? Or should I try working holiday visa now? Or should I slow down the thesis work and extend my graduation further until the end of this year?

please kindly advise me to secure a job opportunity which I just got the offer and I’m really eager to do this job at all costs legally. Any advice is welcome. Thanks so much!
Usually in the case college on our supervisor's recommendation can issue you a letter saying so . Usually supervisors don't know the immigration rules,ask for their help explaining so.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

If you are studying you will only qualify for 20 hours. Registering for a college course would not make you eligible to work over 20 hours either since you will remain a university student. I also highly doubt you would get a spot at a college as a PhD grad now that students also need a provincial attestation so there will be more scrutiny.