+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working/Holiday

Sarvain

Jul 30, 2007
G'day all. I have a small question.

With a Work Permit an the Visa, once i come over to Canada an worked. would it be possible to go on a holiday in canada after my work permit is over an my visa would be still valid?

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
Sarvain said:

With a Work Permit an the Visa, once i come over to Canada an worked. would it be possible to go on a holiday in canada after my work permit is over an my visa would be still valid?
Without a valid work permit, your reason for re-entering Canada will no longer be for work, and you would have to have another reason for your visit and satisfy all of the requirements needed so as to renew your TRV. It is possible for you to re-enter, but it is not guaranteed.

Remember that if you are initially granted a single entry type of TRV, it will be better for you to apply for re-entry and /or extension of stay while you are in Canada, at least 30 days before your initial TRV expires.

Also, it all depends on the conditions placed on your work permit, which includes how long you are allowed to work in Canada. If your work permit allows you to work initially, for only one year, then you will be kind of restricted to a single entry type of TRV that stipulates a fixed date of departure. In that case, you can always extend your TRV and /or apply for re-entry prior to leaving Canada by satisfying all of the TRV requirements.

If your initial work permit allows you to work for more than 1 year - say 2 or 3 years - then you can speculate on applying for a multiple entry TRV on grounds that you would like to go home on holidays . "A multiple entry visa allows you to enter Canada from any country multiple times during the validity of the visa" - 3 years in most cases. If you apply for a multiple entry visa, they do have the discretion to grant you a single entry visa instead.

With the multiple entry visa, you are allowed to stay in Canada for a period of 6 months at a time or more, but you can always apply for an extension of stay while you are in Canada. And, a reason for your extended stay would be a guaranteed continued employment backed by an unexpired work permit of course.

See more on Single Entry vs. Multiple Entry Visa: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/visit/visit-faq01.asp

According to CIC, "Most visitors are allowed to stay in Canada for no more than six months but, in some cases, visitors can stay longer." Also, CIC says, "You may apply [for an extension] as many times as you wish, but each time that you apply, you must complete a new application and pay the fee. You must also demonstrate that your residence in Canada [will still be] temporary [for extension and re-entry purposes]."

Always remember that no matter the visa type, you could always apply for an extension or apply for a re-entry from within Canada, at least 30 days before the visa expiration date.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Libra said:
Sarvain said:

Without a valid work permit, your reason for re-entering Canada will no longer be for work, and you would have to have another reason for your visit and satisfy all of the requirements needed so as to renew your TRV. It is possible for you to re-enter, but it is not guaranteed.

Remember that if you are initially granted a single entry type of TRV, it will be better for you to apply for re-entry and /or extension of stay while you are in Canada, at least 30 days before your initial TRV expires.

Also, it all depends on the conditions placed on your work permit, which includes how long you are allowed to work in Canada. If your work permit allows you to work initially, for only one year, then you will be kind of restricted to a single entry type of TRV that stipulates a fixed date of departure. In that case, you can always extend your TRV and /or apply for re-entry prior to leaving Canada by satisfying all of the TRV requirements.

If your initial work permit allows you to work for more than 1 year - say 2 or 3 years - then you can speculate on applying for a multiple entry TRV on grounds that you would like to go home on holidays . "A multiple entry visa allows you to enter Canada from any country multiple times during the validity of the visa" - 3 years in most cases. If you apply for a multiple entry visa, they do have the discretion to grant you a single entry visa instead.

With the multiple entry visa, you are allowed to stay in Canada for a period of 6 months at a time or more, but you can always apply for an extension of stay while you are in Canada. And, a reason for your extended stay would be a guaranteed continued employment backed by an unexpired work permit of course.

See more on Single Entry vs. Multiple Entry Visa: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/visit/visit-faq01.asp

According to CIC, "Most visitors are allowed to stay in Canada for no more than six months but, in some cases, visitors can stay longer." Also, CIC says, "You may apply [for an extension] as many times as you wish, but each time that you apply, you must complete a new application and pay the fee. You must also demonstrate that your residence in Canada [will still be] temporary [for extension and re-entry purposes]."

Always remember that no matter the visa type, you could always apply for an extension or apply for a re-entry from within Canada, at least 30 days before the visa expiration date.
1. The OP has a working holiday visa, and from his/her intro probably Australian so doesn't need a TRV. The WHV is valid for 1 year and is open as to employer. It is not extendable. So the OP has to apply for a visitor's extension to Vegreville if she/he wishes to remain in Canada for a holiday after the WHV expires.
2. You cannot apply for a TRV in Canada. If a visitor requires a new TRV they have to apply at an office outside Canada, usually in the US. You don't need a TRV to re-enter Canada from the continental US or St. Pierre et Miquelon as long as it is within the validity of your original entry.

PMM