+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Holiday Visa - Health insurance

combinatie

Dec 10, 2009
Hello,

I just recieved my Letter of Introduction. This means I will get a Working Holiday Visa when I go to Canada. But to do so, I need a health insurance. It's one of the conditions.

Now it get's a bit complicated.

I already have a Dutch health insurance. This doesn't cover foreign travel. Either I need extra travel insurance, OR I drop the Dutch insurance entirely and get a Canadian one.

I am no expert on such matters. What is the smart thing to do?

Yours, Martijn.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Certain provinces of Canada requires a waiting period (e.g. 3 months for Ontario) for new resident. You can always check the health department website of the provinces you want to go for details.

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Martijn,

It depends on the province you are going to.
If you come to British Columbia, Quebec, Ontario, or New Brunswick you have to buy Canadian emergency medical health insurance for the first 3 month in Canada.
It is better to buy insurance before your arrival, so that you will be covered since the day you arrive.
When you arrive to Canada you have to apply to Provincial Medical Plan in the province you are planning to live.
Good luck.

combinatie

Dec 10, 2009
Hello you two, and thanks for replying.

I am still looking at the insurance thing. To me it's all very confusing. In Holland I know what to do, but in Canada I am at a loss.

So far, my plan is this: I want to travel British Columbia and Yukon for a year. Backpacking, working here and there, and moving on.
Do I need different insurances for those different provinces?
I don't have a Canadian postal address. Would I need to get one?
I want to be well insured. I want it to cover also extreme sports, medical evacuation, etc.
How much would such an insurance cost roughly in a month?

And there is probably a lot more I need to know, but I can't think of right now.

Thank you very much for helping me out.

Yours, Martijn.

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Martin,

1) Any Canadian insurance company provides you with Visitors to Canada insurance that covers you in all Canadian provinces.
You will even be covered if after arriving to Canada you are going to travel outside the country (except your home country) and come back to Canada provided you will stay in Canada more time than outside.

2) If you buy insurance using my website http://www.arbetovinsurance.com/visitorstocanada you can use my business address as your Canadian address. You email me and I can forward to your new address all your mail related to insurance.

3) Regular Visitors to Canada insurance as usual covers your sport accidents provided you don't practice this sport as way of living.
4) Medical evacuation insurance is called trip interaption insurance rider (you can buy it as an addition to regular insurance).
5) Roughly in a month the insurance will cost between $70 and $250 depending on your age, amount of coverage and deduction amount.
You can also choose between 3 different companies on the website.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I bought this insurance from the company below before my landing and it covers all provinces of Canada. The policy package will be sent to the address you provided online (even if the address is not in Canada).

http://www.biis.ca/

justinpaul44

Sep 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nice to share your information.. Even I am also curious to get this insurance.. We know that It is really useful us.. I wish that I will get this insurance through the best insurance company as soon as far.

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no best insurance company. All of them are almost the same.
The difference is in prices and in coverages.
They reduce their prices time to time. This is why it is so difficult to choose the cheapest one.
The cheapest one today won't be the the ceapest one tomorrow.
There are different situations for all visitors to Canada and new immigrants.
It is why there is something unique and the best.
You can check online which company covers best your insurance needs.
If you buy Manulife before arrival day you will be covered from the day you arrive.
The coverage 200,000 can be offered today by TIC only (as on Nov 7, 2010)
Travel Underwriters offers the coverage up to the age 89.

simesmeak

Nov 11, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I recommend you join the national system of health insurance.When you spend less than one year in Japan it only costs about 2000 yen per month (which gets more expensive second year), and 70% of your medical and dental bills covered.

cuds

Star Member
May 27, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HI Martijn,

Not sure if you are still looking for insurance.

I am dutch too ;), when I came to Canada on a WHV I took an insurance with joho.nl (just google them)
Not too expensive and the people are very friendly - every email was answered very quick and no need to meet them in person

Apr 28, 2011
My friend went with SAFEVISIT. He said they had good premiums, and i nsuggest get private insurance even if you plan to stay in Canada. Better safe then sorry. The same friend got sick and luckily he had his insurance already and the claim was paid off within a week. So try that company, hope it works out for you!

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
I already have a Dutch health insurance. This doesn't cover foreign travel. Either I need extra travel insurance, OR I drop the Dutch insurance entirely and get a Canadian one.
Either Canadian or Dutch company can offer the type of coverage that you need. The thing is that in Canada you'd be better off with insurance from a Canadian company.

With Canadian insurers you can get coverage for up to 2 years with comprehensive benefits such as medical, hospitalization, repatriation, air ambulance and dental. You can also add coverage for routine check ups, eye exams, vaccination and maternity benefits.

Other advantages include:

Easier to file a claim and receive your money back

Canadian insurers mostly set up direct billing so that you don't have to pay out of your pocket

Coverage for sports related injuries

Local branches where you can come and speak with a representative

You can compare among all Canadian companies to find the optimal IEC Insurance plan as well as read about the IEC Program here:

<a href=http://arbetovinsurance.com/iec-travel-insurance/>IEC/Working Holiday Program</a>

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
Vancouverite89 said:
how do I apply for a 2 year coverage- is it straight 2 years or do I have to get 2 one year policies?

Please advise
If you wish to be covered for 2 years, you have several options:

1. You may apply for the whole 2 year IEC Travel medical insurance policy. Click HERE for details.

2. You may also purchase 2 separate insurance policies that will cover you for the duration of your 2 year stay in Canada as an IEC participant.

Use a IEC Travel Insurance Calculator to see the available options for you.

You may also consult with an insurance advisor on the website in case you have a question.

Last edited: