27-03-2013
AOR Received.
08-04-2013
Med's Request
15-01-2014
Med's Done....
17-01-2014
Hi!
I am aiming for a working holiday visa and I realized I will have to take out health insurance for the first time in my life. I already have two options that I like when it comes to the insurance, what I am unsure a out is the coverage.
Personally I don't care much because I am very careful and I've never been admitted to the hospital. So I'm thinking it would mainly be in case of an accident. I do however of course want to please the immigration officials and thus I am wondering what the minimum recommended coverage would be?

Thank you all very much in advance!

OnlineInsPro

Star Member
Dec 12, 2011
Hello there, maybe I can help. I do a lot of work with Visitors to Canada looking for Super Visa Coverage. The Super Visa Program requires a minimum of $100,000 of coverage, so I would consider that as a reasonable number. There is no minimum requirement for your program, but I would consider at least $50,000 although lesser coverages are also available. You can get coverages as low as $10,000 but I have personally seen bills in excess of that amount for relatively minor medical situations. Also, there is not much difference in premium from $10,000 to $25,000, and even $50,000 especially for younger people.

I offer a comparison calculator on my website which makes obtaining quotes from all major Canadian Insurers easy, at various coverage amounts. Please check out http://travelinsure.ca for details. Let me know if you have other questions, I would be pleased to help!

Tracy DesLaurier
1-888-933-7462
info@dfsinc.ca
http://travelinsure.ca
http://dfsinc.ca

Haitokin

Star Member
Aug 28, 2011
For a slightly wider selection of policies from all Canada's top insurance providers, you can also check BestQuote Travel Insurance Agency

I would also recommend using a policy of no less than $50,000 maximum medical expense coverage, although $100,000 or $150,000 would be preferred in the event of a major accident. After all, that's why you would like to have the insurance in the first place, for peace of mind. I know younger (working holiday or International Experience Canada) travelers don't have to worry as much about major illnesses but a bad accident and a couple weeks in the hospital would easily cost more than $50,000.

Just four years ago, I spent 17 days in the hospital after a bad accident, so I know it happens!

Fortunately, one of the discount policies on the BestQuote site offers coverage of $150,000 for less than most companies provide $100,000. Also, BestQuote will quote Visitors to Canada trip cancellation coverage for visitors to Canada. For only $29.00, a $zero trip cost trip cancellation/interruption policy would provide the following kind of coverage:

Prior-to-Departure . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $0 unless higher trip cost purchase at higher price
After-Departure . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .unlimited
Default Protection . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $3,500 (aggregate limit applies)
Return of Deceased . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $10,000
Cremation at Place of Death . . . . . . .. . $4,000
Out of Pocket Allowance . . . . . . . . . . . $600
Accidental Death & Dismemberment . . . . $10,000
Baggage . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . $500
Baggage Delay . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . $200
Flight Accident . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $50,000
Meals and Accommodation . . . . . . . . .. $1,000
Tour Operator . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $1,000

In terms of the unlimited trip interruption benefits after arriving in Canada, the following are covered risks:

The Benefits listed above are payable if your trip is cancelled prior to the scheduled departure date, curtailed prior to the
scheduled return date, or delayed after the scheduled return date as the result of:
Health
1. Sickness, injury or death of:
a) you;
b) a family member;
c) a travelling companion or travelling companion’s family member; or
d) a key employee.
2. The death of your friend.
3. The death or hospitalization of your host at the destination.
4. Sickness, injury or death of a person or persons with whom arrangements were made for the care of dependents living in your household.
Legal
5. You have been called to jury duty, or been subpoenaed as a witness, and the court proceeding is scheduled to be heard during the period of the trip (excluding law enforcement officers).
6. Your legal adoption of a child during the period of the trip, which necessitates cancellation of the trip.
External
7. The schedule change of the airline carrier that is providing transportation for a portion of the insured trip, causing you to miss a connection or resulting in the interruption of the insured travel arrangements.
8. Your failure to obtain a valid travel visa (excluding an immigration, student or employment visa) necessary to enter the country of destination of the trip, for reasons beyond your control provided you are a Canadian resident and eligible to apply, and the failure to obtain valid documents is not the result of a late or previously denied application.
9. Default of a Canadian travel supplier ceasing operations as a result of bankruptcy.
10. A disaster which renders your principal residence, in your province, territory or country of permanent residence, uninhabitable.
11. A natural disaster which does not permit you to occupy your permanent residence or, if you are self-employed, does not permit the operation of your primary business.
12. A statement made in the Travel Report issued by the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade after the application date, advising or recommending that Canadians avoid travel to the booked destination for a period that would include your
scheduled trip.
13. Your hijacking or quarantine.
14. Adverse weather, volcanic eruptions, or a natural disaster which would prevent you from travelling for a period not less than 30% of the total duration of the insured trip when you choose not to continue with the trip prior to departure from the point of origin.
15. Cancellation prior to departure of a business meeting that you are required to attend by your employment or a conference arranged by your professional association, and the cancellation is beyond your control, or the control of your employer or association.
16. Rescheduling of an examination at an accredited Canadian or American university or college after the trip was booked and due to circumstances beyond your control. A copy of the original official examination schedule and the notice of rescheduling must
accompany any claim submission. The rescheduled examination must occur during the period of coverage.
Work
17. A job transfer within 30 days of your scheduled departure date, by your employer, that requires relocation of your principal residence (not applicable to self-employed persons).
18. Unforeseeable, involuntary termination without just cause of your or your travelling companion’s permanent employment, provided you or your travelling companion was actively employed by the same employer for at least one year; excluding self-employment or contract work.
Other
19. You or your traveling companion being called to service in the case of reservists, active military, police, essential medical and fire personnel.

So if any of the above occur, (for $29.00) the policy would cover:

After departure,(unlimited)benefits are payable for the following costs:
i. The extra cost of economy transportation by the most direct route to continue with the insured trip if you miss a portion of your trip due to your sickness or injury, or the sickness or injury of a travelling companion or accompanying family member.
ii. The non-refundable portion of unused, pre-paid, insured travel arrangements for the trip (excluding partially used airline tickets) purchased prior to the effective date, and the extra cost of economy airfare by the most direct route, to return to the
point of departure.
iii. In the event of your death due to a covered sickness or injury, up to $10,000 for costs incurred for the return of your remains in a standard transportation container to your permanent residence in Canada, or up to $4,000 for the cremation or burial of your remains at the place of death, when you are not covered under any other insurance plan.
In the event that a delay of the connecting carrier or automobile at the departure point causes a missed connection, provided the connecting carrier or automobile was scheduled to arrive not less than two hours prior to the scheduled connection time, due to:
• weather conditions, volcanic eruptions, natural disaster, or mechanical failure of the connecting carrier (airline, bus, train or government-operated ferry system); or
• traffic accident or emergency police road closure (police report required) causing the delay of a private or commercial automobile;
the insurer agrees to pay:
i. the extra cost of economy transportation to the ticketed destination;
ii. the unusable pre-paid, insured travel arrangements purchased prior to the effective date; and
iii. an out-of-pocket allowance of up to $200 per day to a maximum of $600 for commercial accommodation and meals, essential telephone calls and taxi fares.
Meals and Accommodation
In the event that your trip is interrupted or delayed beyond the expiry date shown in the confirmation of coverage, as a result of your sickness or injury, or the sickness or injury of a travelling companion or an accompanying family member, additional commercial
accommodation and meals, essential telephone calls and taxi fares will be reimbursed up to $300 per day to a maximum of $1,000. Delayed Baggage
In the event that your luggage or personal possessions are delayed or lost for 12 hours or more, while en route and before returning to the original point of departure, costs for reasonable and necessary toiletries and clothing will be reimbursed up to a maximum of $200. Purchases must be made within 36 hours of arrival at your destination and prior to receipt of your baggage.
Tour Operators
In the event that your tour is cancelled or re-scheduled by the tour operator for any reason other than default, up to $1,000 will be payable for the non-refundable pre-paid travel arrangements that are not a part of the cancelled or rescheduled tour package.

$29 for a one year trip interruption benefits like this? Something to consider. To get a quote for this policy on BestQuote , simply answer 'visitors to canada' and then 'trip cancellation/interruption' on the green quote request form, enter $0 for trip cost, the dates, date of birth etc. Any troubles, call 1-888-888-0510 from NA, or 1-604-259-2544.