+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

working for a Canadian small business remotely, will this satisfy PR renewal requirement

bender

Jun 16, 2016
worked in canada physically for 1.5 years

then went back to India, then working for a canadian small business for 1 year remotely as system administrator, will this satisfy PR card renewal requirement. I see that if working for a canadian small business can also justify some times.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

then went back to India, then working for a canadian small business for 1 year remotely as system administrator, will this satisfy PR card renewal requirement. I see that if working for a canadian small business can also justify some times.
Probably not. The way this is intended to be used is when an employee is sent to work abroad eg for some task that can only or primarily be done abroad, eg for corporate purposes. If what you're doing is 'remote' to Canada - eg work done where you just happen to be abroad - completely contrary to the purpose.

There are/usually will be documentary requirements of eg the company detailing (assigning) the employee abroad (usually temporarily).

But by all means look into it, including hiring a lawyer. But note: there is no way to get this approved in advance, and if retaining PR status without issues (and ability to travel more without risking it), I'd suggest keeping compliance with the residency obligation is far more prudent (compared to relying on this and having it denied after the fact).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

No - it most likely won't.

To be able to count time outside of Canada, you must be transferred to a temporary role outside of Canada by your company with the company's operations in that other country. Working remotely won't count.

Reactions: YVR123 and Taran D