+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work visa expired.

jeffjeff

Apr 11, 2008
Hi hope someone can help.
I am working in Canada under a work visa but it has expired.
I did not check the dates correctly when it was issued last year and I thought it ran till the end of my 3yr contract.
It turns out that it ran out in Jan.
I have applied to Vegreville to get it renewed.
I have paid all the costs online at the CIC web and sent all neccessary paperwork.
My question is what is my status now while I wait for the new permit (If it is granted but I dont see any issues there except for my late application maybe).
Should I stop work until my work visa is renewed? Or am I good to carry on working?
Thanks in advance for your time.
Jeff

shalla

Sep 12, 2007
Hi Jeff

I am not a prof. in this matter but I think you will have to wait. May I ask why your WP expired in Jan, and in which field are you employed. If you are in the compulsory trade there is a exam you have to challenge and upon being successful your WP will be extended to your 3yr contract

bramyah

Star Member
Jan 26, 2007
If you submitted ur application before the expiry date, then you can continue working no issues.

If you submitted after deadline, then it is like u r out of status and cic has to restore your status. I think it is problematic at this sceanrio to work.

Consult a immigration lawyer for this. or call the CIC call centre, they will guide you through the process.