Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/07/2013
Hi,

If someone could please help me answer some of my questions, I would be really appreciated.

I applied to become a permanent resident last year in July 12th, in land. I never applied for a work permit with my application.
My extended status as a visitor is about to expire (May 1st). I would like to extend my stay with a work permit but I have a few questions:

a) Do I have to wait for the first step of my residency application to be done in order to apply for a work permit? or do I need to keep extending my stay until I get approval of the first step?
b) Can I apply online to extend my status as a worker? because it would be the first time I apply for a work permit and I thought it would be stamped in the passport somehow.
c) What happens after I apply? how do I get a social security number?
d) Can you work right away after getting the permit?

Thanks in Advance.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
a) Do I have to wait for the first step of my residency application to be done in order to apply for a work permit? or do I need to keep extending my stay until I get approval of the first step?

You have to wait for AIP, first step to get work permit, unless you can apply for a LMO.

b) Can I apply online to extend my status as a worker? because it would be the first time I apply for a work permit and I thought it would be stamped in the passport somehow.

Yes you can apply online

c) What happens after I apply? how do I get a social security number?

You need to contact Service Canada to file for a SIN. check online for their location in your city.

d) Can you work right away after getting the permit?

Yes

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

If you had submitted an Open Work Permit (OWP) with your Inland application, on July 12, 2013, you would have been under implied status after your current visitor status expires. Since you did not, I don't believe that submitting an OWP now will give you that implied status, but perhaps others with more knowledge will chime in.

I suspect that you should apply to extend your visitor status.

If, however, you are able to submit an OWP, it will not be processed until you reach your Stage 1 (of 2) approval, which is AIP. Once you have an OWP, you can get a temporary SIN number and begin working right away.

Cerezita

Apr 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/07/2013
Thanks for your reply, what is AIP?

Is that the letter you receive after the first step? do they send that by mail?

Thanks again