+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit

oliviarene

Star Member
Aug 11, 2012
Just a few quick questions..

1. I am going to apply for my work permit at the POE as my employer needs me ASAP to take care of their children so this would be the quickest way. I have read a few posts about people being refused for WP because they "did not satisfy the officer that they would return to their home country after their visa had expired." I have had my share of issues at the border and don't want to run into something of the sort. I have a very good name with my current managers in my home country and they told me they would take me back in a hear beat if things changed and I was back in the states...would it be helpful for them to maybe write up something saying they would hire me back on after my visa was through just to prove that I won't extend my stay?

2. Does shortage of money have anything to do with why they might not allow someone the visa? I don't make a great deal of money at allll and I have 3 jobs. Which is why I am wanting to work in Canada do be able to have a full time, well paying job.

3. Since I do live in the states, and will be so close while in Canada, I would like to be able to visit home every now and then. Do I need to see if I can get a special permit for that such as multiple-entry or do the border officers grant you whatever they wish?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

oliviarene said:
Just a few quick questions..

1. I am going to apply for my work permit at the POE as my employer needs me ASAP to take care of their children so this would be the quickest way. I have read a few posts about people being refused for WP because they "did not satisfy the officer that they would return to their home country after their visa had expired." I have had my share of issues at the border and don't want to run into something of the sort. I have a very good name with my current managers in my home country and they told me they would take me back in a hear beat if things changed and I was back in the states...would it be helpful for them to maybe write up something saying they would hire me back on after my visa was through just to prove that I won't extend my stay?

2. Does shortage of money have anything to do with why they might not allow someone the visa? I don't make a great deal of money at allll and I have 3 jobs. Which is why I am wanting to work in Canada do be able to have a full time, well paying job.

3. Since I do live in the states, and will be so close while in Canada, I would like to be able to visit home every now and then. Do I need to see if I can get a special permit for that such as multiple-entry or do the border officers grant you whatever they wish?
1. Unless you have already had your Immigration medical, you can't apply for a work permit at the Border as you will be working with children. Also if you are under the Live In Caregiver program, you must apply at a Canadian office in the US.
2. Funds play no part in issuing the work permit.
3. You don't require a multiple entry visa, I assume you are either a Green card holder or US citizen. If not, your require a TRV to enter Canada.

oliviarene

Star Member
Aug 11, 2012
Ok, thank you! I am a US citizen and have not had my medical yet but will be doing that as soon as I get the LMO back..fingers crossed it is positive ha ha..so with that being said, with the first question, would it be helpful for a previous employer to say that they would hire me back at the end of my contract to make the agents believe that I will leave Canada at the end of my contract?

Miljacka

Nov 18, 2012
Hello,

My 1 Year post grad work permit is about to expire (in 3 days) My employer applied for LMO an today I got refusal.Reason was "low wage" compared to Canadian workers.I have also applied for work permit extension 15 days before my visa expires but I am assuming it will be denied without valid LMO.
I would like to apply for restoration of the status once my work permit gets rejected,before that my employer will increase salary and reapply for LMO.
My questions are
1. Am I on a right way?
2.Do I have to wait until my work permit gets rejected and then apply for restoration or can I apply before that?
2.How long the process of restoration lasts?
3.What is the percentage of getting my status restored?

Any other advise?

Thank you in advance!