+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit

Sunny1

Oct 21, 2008
Someone applied for a work permit but accidently did not indicate in the original work permit application that the spouse and child would be joining him later in Canada.Now he is in Canada and wants the spouse and child to join him in Canada.

Can the spouse and the child still apply to join him in Canada?

1.What are the chances of getting the applciation approved?
2.Under what visa can the spouse and child join him in Canada?
3.Any other comments/issues on this matter would be appreciated.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He can apply for a temporary resident visa for them and open work permit for his spouse. He should call CIC or go to the immigration office where he lives or the newcomers centre if there is one to find out what forms to fill out for this.

Sunny1

Oct 21, 2008
Thanks,

You mean that the spouse can apply for TRV and also open work visa. 2 visas? Would there be 2 seperate fee invloved.

Also, what visa for the child who is just 11 yrs old?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have coworkers who have done this, no idea what they had to fill out and how much they had to pay. I suggest he call CIC or go to Service Canada or immigration in his town and find out what forms he has to fill out and fees to pay. His wife could also check it at the Canadian embassy where she lives.

rianne

Oct 24, 2008
Hi to all,

This is my first time here. I have some questions regarding with my application of work permit. I'm a Filipino and i am currently working here in Singapore. I've got a job offered in Banff. My questions are:

1. Can i process my work permit here in Singapore or do i need to leave Singapore and process the work permit in my home country, Philippines?

2. Me and my boyfriend for 7 years is planning to settle down by next year but what if my work permit will be approved, can i bring him with me even if we are not yet married?

3. If ever i can bring him with me, is he allowed to find work in Canada?

Hope you will have the patient to answer my questions. Thanks in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Are you on a 1 year work permit in Singapore, if yes, then you can process there, if no, you have to process in the Philippines.

2. If you are on a skilled level work permit, your boyfriend may come with you and get an open work permit if you marry him or if you are living together at least for the last 12 months. If you are not on a skilled level work permit, he needs to apply for his own work permit to come with you.

rianne

Oct 24, 2008
Hi Leon, thanks for your prompt reply. I'm an S-pass holder of 2 year contract. What about chambermaid/hotel room housekeeping attendant, I am thinking to grab this job just to get into Canada and upgrade myself in the future. Please help me Leon, I'm afraid i can make a wrong decision. It's really my dream to go there in Canada it just that i didn't pass during the assessment for an immigrant visa.
Thanks in advance Leon for taking time to answer all our questions. You're an Angel to all of us. God bless you always!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your job probably falls under the semi-skilled option of Alberta provincial nominee program so there is a chance that you can do PNP with your employer and get permanent residency without having to upgrade. In that case you should marry your boyfriend so you can apply for his PR too.

Check out the Alberta PNP at http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrate/semiskilledworkers.html

You can not take your boyfriend with you on a low skilled permit. Once you are in Canada, you can try to get him a job there too and work permit so he can come. If that doesn't work, you will have to wait until you can get you both PR.

rianne

Oct 24, 2008
If only God allows that i can get a work permit. As a work permit holder (semi-skilled worker), can i apply for PR even if i am still working less than 1 year? Or is it a must that i need to work for 1year before i can apply for PR?

I'm so thankful that i found this site. To Leon and to the rest of the people on this forum, thank you so much for helping us.
God bless you all!

Rianne

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Under the semi-skill program in Alberta, you need to work for 6 months before you and your employer can apply for PNP. Getting PR through the PNP in Alberta takes from 6 to 15 months. You can find other requirements at http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrate/serversandroomattendants.html

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
You also qualify under the BC PNP under our Semi skilled pilot program also,In our case you can apply for PR or Immigrant Status after 9,Look up our website BC PNP.Our provincial Goverment is agressively courting Filipino workers to come to BC,We even recently had a recruitment job fair in Manila and will now be doing that yearly,Consider BC We have better weather even though we are beach Bums and not "real Canadians"right Leon,Private Joke

Jalal1

Star Member
Oct 15, 2008
I have heard that BC weather is too good. My wife is Registered Nurse and wants to go to Calgary on work permit but afraid of cold weather as it can easily cause hypothyrodism.

rianne

Oct 24, 2008
Hi Leon and BCGuy, thanks for everything..but still i have some questions. Hope you won't get tired entertaining these questions of mine.

The appointed agent of my employer, she just sent the LMO and Employment Contract to me through email and some of my friends told me that i must ask from my employer the original copy. Because i need to submit the original copy of these documents to the embassy. How true is it? As i checked in the website of Canadian Embassy here in Singapore, they didn't clearly stated if they need an original copy of the said documents. Another thing is, i must present also a year book in College. What if during in our batch we don't have a year book? My TOR and Diploma, i have just it authenticated in CHED (Commission on Higher Education) and let my sister in the Philippines to have it red ribbon at DFA (Department of Foreign Affairs), aren't they enough? How long it will takes processing of the Work Permit? Do you have any idea about here in Singapore?

Once again, thank you so much for all your replies.

Rianne

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to ask the embassy what they require. Maybe copy is ok. If not, you will have to ask for the original. If you don't have a yearbook and they want one, you can write a letter stating that there is no yearbook.

Singapore is in most cases taking more than 28 days, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/15-temp-workers.asp#asia but they don't give an average. You can look for this information on the embassy website or ask them.