+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit question

Mares

May 20, 2006
Hi All,

Hope someone could give me some advice.

If I go to Canada on a visitor visa and get trained as a heavy duty truck driver and pass my driver's test, what might be the possibility of finding a job and hopefully a work permit? Is there maybe some requirement stating that truck drivers need a minimum number of years of driving experience?
Could anyone comment on this?

For a career as a timber framer in the construction industry, there are no tertiary study requirements and from what I understand, there is a big demand for people in this occupation. If I apply successfully for a job like this, would I stand a chance of receiving a work permit?
I am a qualified secondary school teacher (woodwork, metalwork) (4-year diploma) with over 4 years of experience.
I'm wondering if my experience and teaching of a wood related subject might count in my favor when applying.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance

tired_of_waiting

Star Member
Jan 3, 2006
Nova Scotia
If you are not a permanent resident or a citizen then you are correct in assuming that you will need a work permit. In order to get one of those, your employer must request it. Before they do, they must show that the job you would be doing could not be done by any of the local labor force currently looking for work. As such, the employer must show evidence of advertising the position locally, they must show evidence of interviews or consideration of local candidates and finally, they must show why you are better than the other applicants.

This information is then sent off to the HRSDC for an opinion, the HRSDC will then review the information, and based on it's own measurement of the labor market may or may not give a positive opinion. This may take two to three weeks to get. Provided the HRSDC opinion is positive, you may apply to CIC for a work permit. You can do this one of two ways, firstly, you can show up at a border with your letter of offer, the HRSDC opinion and your travel documents and request a work permit at your port of entry. Secondly, you could apply to the local CIC office (or embassy where you live) and wait for the work permit - this may take several weeks though!!!

It is up to the discretion of the CIC officer as to whether or not you actually recieve the work permit. If they believe the job is genuine and that you will not out stay your time in Canada then they will grant you a permit. If they are suspicious or have any cause to doubt your intentions then they can refuse the permit.

I hope this information helps.