+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit question

mmariemay

Jan 7, 2014
I am a temporary foreign worker. My new work permit expires on Aug. 2015. I just recently resigned from my job to move with my fiancée and this place is still Alberta. We will get married by Dec. 2014. I am trying a find a new job here but it seems that most of the establishments here only accept an open permit applicant. I am worried that it might take a long time to find a job here. Will it affect my status since I will have no record in the government with regards to my taxes, CPP and EI? My friend told me that I am legal to stay here until my work permit expires even if I have no job.. Is this true? Please help me, I am starting to get worried....

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
mmariemay said:
I am a temporary foreign worker. My new work permit expires on Aug. 2015. I just recently resigned from my job to move with my fiancée and this place is still Alberta. We will get married by Dec. 2014. I am trying a find a new job here but it seems that most of the establishments here only accept an open permit applicant. I am worried that it might take a long time to find a job here. Will it affect my status since I will have no record in the government with regards to my taxes, CPP and EI? My friend told me that I am legal to stay here until my work permit expires even if I have no job.. Is this true? Please help me, I am starting to get worried....
AFAIK, yes, you can stay here until your work permit expiry, however, you are not authorized to work for a different employer with you current closed work permit.

Good luck....

planazur

Aug 19, 2012
Hi

same like what he told you yes you can stay since you have valid work visa, i'm also here in alberta same TWP and same case like you

i'm changing the job the problem here there r so many jobs but not for us only for PR and canadians or open work permit students

so you need to find a company has LMO which is king of difficult but still possible

Good luck

Best regards

mmariemay

Jan 7, 2014
yes...it is very true...it is so hard to find a job with LMO in some part of Alberta....Good luck to both of us...