+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit is about to expire but want to keep staying in Canada as a visitor

Andramier2

Jul 21, 2015
I am holding a PGWP and it's about to expire in June this year. I'd like to stay in Canada as a visitor for the summer and am wondering what my options are?
I live in Victoria, BC.

I am thinking I can travel to Seattle on a boat and then come back here as a visitor. I am from a visa-exmpt country and my understanding is that f I travel by sea then I do not need an eTA. My question is: If I wish to come back to Canada and stay here up to 6 month as a visitor, do I need to apply for any documentations or temporary resident visa before I leave the country?

My other question is: Is there an option for me to not even need to leave the country and continue to stay here as a visitor for a few months after my work permit expires?

Thank you in advance for the suggestions! :)

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Andramier2 said:
I am holding a PGWP and it's about to expire in June this year. I'd like to stay in Canada as a visitor for the summer and am wondering what my options are?
I live in Victoria, BC.

I am thinking I can travel to Seattle on a boat and then come back here as a visitor. I am from a visa-exmpt country and my understanding is that f I travel by sea then I do not need an eTA. My question is: If I wish to come back to Canada and stay here up to 6 month as a visitor, do I need to apply for any documentations or temporary resident visa before I leave the country?

My other question is: Is there an option for me to not even need to leave the country and continue to stay here as a visitor for a few months after my work permit expires?

Thank you in advance for the suggestions! :)
Please use the tool for options and documents:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Andramier2 said:
You need to apply to change conditions and extend your stay as a visitor. It is far safer to apply online than it is to make a border run.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend/visa.asp

Andramier2

Jul 21, 2015
I have one more question. I am now trying to fill out the form IMM5708 (Application to change conditions, extend my stay or remind in Canada as a visitor or temporary resident permit holder) to extend my stay in Canada from as a worker to a visitor.

However, I am not quite sure how to answer question 3:

"3. I am applying for the following:
#1. Extension of my temporary resident STATUS
#2. Initial temporary resident permit or extension of temporary resident PERMIT
#3. restoration if temporary resident status as a visitor"

I am confused of the answer #1 and #2... Can someone please tell me which one I should choose?

Thank you

Andramier2

Jul 21, 2015
I found out that for visitor extension it will take around 115 days to process if I submit on paper..(I mistakenly looked up "visitor visa" processing time and thought it would only take about 11 days..)

My work permit expire on June 12th, and I am planning to stay in Canada until the latest at the end of September.

My question is, if I leave the country (go back home) even before CIC make a decision, would that be ok or would it affects my future visit here?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Andramier2 said:
I found out that for visitor extension it will take around 115 days to process if I submit on paper..(I mistakenly looked up "visitor visa" processing time and thought it would only take about 11 days..)

My work permit expire on June 12th, and I am planning to stay in Canada until the latest at the end of September.

My question is, if I leave the country (go back home) even before CIC make a decision, would that be ok or would it affects my future visit here?
No, it will not affect any future visits.