+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit for Convention Refugees

beela81

Apr 1, 2017
Hello

I am a convention refugee. When I applied for my open work permit, my status was "refugee claimant". i have not yet received my work permit but meanwhile my status has been changed to "Convention Refugee" after my hearing at IRCC.

Do I still need a work permit? If yes, do I need to inform about the change of my status? Does it affect my work permit?

Another query is: With my decision statement from IRCC, can I apply for my Social Insurance number?

Thanks for your guidance in advance.

Streetman

Jun 21, 2016
Edmonton
Hello
You still need a work permit, you are not required to inform them about your status because they know. SIN can only be obtained after you'll receive the WP

chris_ag

Mar 11, 2017
beela81 said:
Hello

I am a convention refugee. When I applied for my open work permit, my status was "refugee claimant". i have not yet received my work permit but meanwhile my status has been changed to "Convention Refugee" after my hearing at IRCC.

Do I still need a work permit? If yes, do I need to inform about the change of my status? Does it affect my work permit?

Another query is: With my decision statement from IRCC, can I apply for my Social Insurance number?

Thanks for your guidance in advance.
How did you check your status ? Which website?
Thanks

beela81

Apr 1, 2017
Chris

I didn't check my status change online. Instead, my hearing date came in between and decision was given in my favor. After 3 weeks, I received the decision of hearing in black and white as well.