06-07-2011
Med's Request
06-07-2012
Med's Done....
15-07-2012
LANDED..........
21-05-2013
Hi guys,

Hope someone can help me with a tricky situation.

I got AIP in June 1st 2012 and I have been waiting for DM since then. My work permit AND PASSPORT will expire in the end of July 2013.
I know we are talking about 6 months from now and supposedly I should be getting my PR anytime but I learned through experience that I should wait for the worst scenario from CIC.

Here's the problem: last week my employer sent me a letter asking me what is going to happen after July. Basically they need an update about my status in Canada so they can prepare to (if necessary) hire someone else in August. I thought about asking for a Work Permit Extension so at least I can show it to my employer as proof I will continue to work here.

Questions are:

1. What do you guys think about it? Has anyone ever experienced the same situation?
2. If I apply for the WP extension, is it the same process as when a company "sponsors" a foreign employee?
2. I will have to renew my passport to apply for a WP extension. Will that affect the PR processing times?

Thanks in advance guys.

CheshireCats

Star Member
Jan 22, 2012
Sarnia Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2012
AOR Received.
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
12-05-2014
Med's Done....
01-11-2013 & 03-06-2016
Is it an open work permit???
If you got AIP in June, then you should be getting PR any time now.
You could go ahead and apply for a WP extension online, currently its about a 3 month wait, but at least you have something to show your employer to prove that you intend to stay and work there...

As for the passport...have you called CIC customer service to ask for help on any of this??

Your employer is being a little proactive here by asking you what your intentions are come July. You would think they would take your word for it...not like you have a magic ball...

Maybe a more senior member can help you out...

lovely20

Mar 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2010
When you got your AIP in June 2012 you could apply for an Open Work Permit at that time, if you haven't you can apply for an Open Work Permit now.

lovely20

Mar 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2010
Here is the link for the OWP application form.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5710E.pdf

weerth

Star Member
May 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2011
Med's Request
06-07-2012
Med's Done....
15-07-2012
LANDED..........
21-05-2013
lovely20 said:
When you got your AIP in June 2012 you could apply for an Open Work Permit at that time, if you haven't you can apply for an Open Work Permit now.
Hi lovely20,

I already have an open work permit. I got it with my AIP.

Thanks!

weerth

Star Member
May 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2011
Med's Request
06-07-2012
Med's Done....
15-07-2012
LANDED..........
21-05-2013
CheshireCats said:
Is it an open work permit???
If you got AIP in June, then you should be getting PR any time now.
You could go ahead and apply for a WP extension online, currently its about a 3 month wait, but at least you have something to show your employer to prove that you intend to stay and work there...

As for the passport...have you called CIC customer service to ask for help on any of this??

Your employer is being a little proactive here by asking you what your intentions are come July. You would think they would take your word for it...not like you have a magic ball...

Maybe a more senior member can help you out...
Hi CheshireCats,

Yes, it´s an open work permit. And that´s what I told my employer, that I may be getting my PR anytime now.
I agree with you, they are being very proactive and I actually don´t know what´s gonna happen if I don´t get my PR before the end of February (their deadline for an answer).

As for the passport, I called CIC 3 times today, the first agent said I should get a new passport cause I will get a PR stamp on it and I should do it on the new one, the 2nd said it´s my choice to renew it and if I do it, I just have to send them a copy and bring both (the old and the new) to my landing interview. The 3rd one - and I want to believe on him, LOL - told me to wait because I will probably hear from CIC anytime soon and that there will be no stamp on my passport (this happens only for outland applications).

Fingers crossed.

Thanks!

CheshireCats

Star Member
Jan 22, 2012
Sarnia Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2012
AOR Received.
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
12-05-2014
Med's Done....
01-11-2013 & 03-06-2016
weerth said:
Hi CheshireCats,

Yes, it´s an open work permit. And that´s what I told my employer, that I may be getting my PR anytime now.
I agree with you, they are being very proactive and I actually don´t know what´s gonna happen if I don´t get my PR before the end of February (their deadline for an answer).

As for the passport, I called CIC 3 times today, the first agent said I should get a new passport cause I will get a PR stamp on it and I should do it on the new one, the 2nd said it´s my choice to renew it and if I do it, I just have to send them a copy and bring both (the old and the new) to my landing interview. The 3rd one - and I want to believe on him, LOL - told me to wait because I will probably hear from CIC anytime soon and that there will be no stamp on my passport (this happens only for outland applications).

Fingers crossed.

Thanks!
Okay, so here is what I would probably do...

Apply for an extension on your work permit. This is supposed to be done 30 days before it expires...so you are doing it 5 months before your 30 days, but it takes 3 months to be approved and you are just 'getting all your ducks in a row'
On the extension you state that you are wanting an extension, same employer....make sure you put your employer details etc...and it will ask you how long, make sure you put 2 years.
Send it off, with the payment etc...if your PR comes in before they start processing your extension you will get your money refunded...
Along with the work permit I believe you will need to also apply for whatever visitor record as well, I don't know your circumstances...
Like I said...you are 'getting your ducks in a row' so for your employers sake, they want to know that you plan on staying there so you are going to make sure that you have everything in order for your work permit.

As for your passport...I guess I would probably apply to renew it. Reason being...your passport has to be valid for you to remain as a visitor of any kind in Canada and that could be a lengthy process.

All of this may be a pain in the a$$ and a hassle, but isn't this whole Immigration process anyway :p Better to do too much, then too little!

Along with anything I have ever sent to CIC I have always included a cover letter explaining and documenting everything included in the package. I would explain why it is that you are applying for extensions as you are just concerned as is your employer that your work permit will expire and they are worried they'll need to re-hire etc...and that you are currently awaiting your PR.

Hope this makes sense, and helps. Good luck!

Mrembo

Apr 17, 2012
Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 16th 2012
Doc's Request.
Jan 9th 2012
AOR Received.
Jan 9th 2012
Med's Request
Not yet
Med's Done....
Interview........
Not yet
Passport Req..
Not yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
Can't wait
weerth said:
Hi guys,

Hope someone can help me with a tricky situation.

I got AIP in June 1st 2012 and I have been waiting for DM since then. My work permit AND PASSPORT will expire in the end of July 2013.
I know we are talking about 6 months from now and supposedly I should be getting my PR anytime but I learned through experience that I should wait for the worst scenario from CIC.

Here's the problem: last week my employer sent me a letter asking me what is going to happen after July. Basically they need an update about my status in Canada so they can prepare to (if necessary) hire someone else in August. I thought about asking for a Work Permit Extension so at least I can show it to my employer as proof I will continue to work here.

Questions are:

1. What do you guys think about it? Has anyone ever experienced the same situation?
2. If I apply for the WP extension, is it the same process as when a company "sponsors" a foreign employee?
2. I will have to renew my passport to apply for a WP extension. Will that affect the PR processing times?

Thanks in advance guys.
Hi,just send in an application to extend your wp!-if it's currently taking three months and yours expires in July,then send one at the end of April and that way you'll have an extension by the time it expires!-also if you send out an app to extend before the current one expires you are allowed to continue working while you wait!-all the best

weerth

Star Member
May 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2011
Med's Request
06-07-2012
Med's Done....
15-07-2012
LANDED..........
21-05-2013
Mrembo said:
Hi,just send in an application to extend your wp!-if it's currently taking three months and yours expires in July,then send one at the end of April and that way you'll have an extension by the time it expires!-also if you send out an app to extend before the current one expires you are allowed to continue working while you wait!-all the best
Thanks Mrembo!

weerth

Star Member
May 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2011
Med's Request
06-07-2012
Med's Done....
15-07-2012
LANDED..........
21-05-2013
CheshireCats said:
Okay, so here is what I would probably do...

Apply for an extension on your work permit. This is supposed to be done 30 days before it expires...so you are doing it 5 months before your 30 days, but it takes 3 months to be approved and you are just 'getting all your ducks in a row'
On the extension you state that you are wanting an extension, same employer....make sure you put your employer details etc...and it will ask you how long, make sure you put 2 years.
Send it off, with the payment etc...if your PR comes in before they start processing your extension you will get your money refunded...
Along with the work permit I believe you will need to also apply for whatever visitor record as well, I don't know your circumstances...
Like I said...you are 'getting your ducks in a row' so for your employers sake, they want to know that you plan on staying there so you are going to make sure that you have everything in order for your work permit.

As for your passport...I guess I would probably apply to renew it. Reason being...your passport has to be valid for you to remain as a visitor of any kind in Canada and that could be a lengthy process.

All of this may be a pain in the a$$ and a hassle, but isn't this whole Immigration process anyway :p Better to do too much, then too little!

Along with anything I have ever sent to CIC I have always included a cover letter explaining and documenting everything included in the package. I would explain why it is that you are applying for extensions as you are just concerned as is your employer that your work permit will expire and they are worried they'll need to re-hire etc...and that you are currently awaiting your PR.

Hope this makes sense, and helps. Good luck!
HI CheshireCats,

Makes total sense and helped me a lot.

Thank you very much!

CheshireCats

Star Member
Jan 22, 2012
Sarnia Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2012
AOR Received.
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
12-05-2014
Med's Done....
01-11-2013 & 03-06-2016
weerth said:
HI CheshireCats,

Makes total sense and helped me a lot.

Thank you very much!
You are more then welcome. I hope you hear something very soon, and I am sure you will. You sure have been waiting a very long time (1.5 yrs) and with the new validation process for the forms, I've noticed things moving along a lot faster in the last 6 months or so!!

Good luck!

Harju

Star Member
Apr 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/09/2010
AOR Received.
25/10/2010
Passport Req..
02/11/2011
VISA ISSUED...
28/11/2011
LANDED..........
31/12/2011
It says in the work permit guide that the validity of the permit cannot exceed the validity of your passport. This to me says that there is no point in requesting an extension until you have a new passport (as you note in your original point 3). It seems to me that getting a new passport should be the first thing you do if you want to keep working. If it delays the PR processing then so be it, a little longer waiting with an extended open work permit is not that much of a hardship (?).