+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Extension Question

ryanhou13

Dec 9, 2015
Hi Everyone,

Here is my situation. Me and my girlfriends are common law partner. Both of us are working in the same company. We have apply the PR though the nova scotia PNP and we have get the file number from ferderal at the last week. My girlfriend is principle applicant and I am the spouse, but my work permit is expire on March 2016 and her one is expire on May 2016. So I need to apply my work permit extension now. My friend told me I cannot apply the extension before my girlfriend renew her work permit. According to the CIC process time, I cannot do this way.

Can someone please give me some advise.

Thanks

Nifemi05

Star Member
Jun 3, 2015
Hi Ryanhou13,
I believe you have nothing to worry about. You can apply to extend your WP a day to the expiration date (on-line) due to your circumstance; paper application same thing but make sure it will be received on or before the expiration date. For you to confirm, go on-line apply and put in current date as your expiration date. the system will tell you must send your application today if not you will pushed to restoration application (out of status).
Your better-half can apply from February to a day to the expiration date. But due to your issue as her dependent, she have to apply at least a day to your expiration day and both of you can apply together - she will be the principal applicant according to you. You will be applying for OWP and your half will be BOWP. There is section that will ask her if she want to add family or common law (with evident) then she can add you.

NB: YOU GUYS SHOULD BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL IN YOUR APPLICATIONS, DO NOT MAKE MOST COMMON MISTAKES (WRONG FORM OR WP) IF NOT YOU LAND YOURSELF IN 'OUT OF STATUS' WHICH IS HELL SITUATION! :'( - NOTHING WILL BE WORKING FOR YOU UNTIL YOU RESTORE YOUR STATUS AND GET A NEW WP UNDER DIFFERENT CATEGORY LIKE 'LMIA EXEMPT' (YOUR BETTER-HALF) THROUGH HER EMPLOYER - IF SHE'S LUCKY TO HAVE A KIND ONE LIKE MY EMPLOYER. SHE PAID THE COMPLIANCE FEE TWICE $230 AS MY WP WAS REFUSED BECAUSE I HAVE GOT PR ACKNOWLEDGEMENT EMAIL BEFORE BOWP APPLICATION WAS PROCESSED. I HAVE RE-APPLIED THROUGH MY EMPLOYER - NOT WORKING AT THE MOMENT WHICH IS KILLING WITH FAMILY OF 4. I WENT TO MY MP (MICHELLE REMPEL), WITHIN 2 DAYS SHE MADE THE ENQUIRY - EXCELLENT JOB!!!, HER OFFICE GOT QUICK RESPONSE FROM CIC WHY MY BOWP WAS REFUSED (STATED ABOVE) AND CONFIRMED THAT MY NEW WP APPLICATION (THROUGH MY EMPLOYER IS GOOD TO GO BUT I HAVE TO WAIT ACCORDING TO THE PROCESSING TIME).

I hope this help and try to gather more information.
Good luck! 8)