+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit expiring? Pls suggest

Banga228786

Sep 5, 2016
Hello everyone,
I have applied for pr in express entry on 18th may and so far only medical has passed.
Review of eligibility -in progress
Background check-not needed at this time
My friends are saying it's going to take 6 months now and my work permit is expiring in October 10, what should experts suggest, should I wait or should I apply for bridge work permit now.
Thanks a lot for your time
Garry

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Banga228786 said:
Hello everyone,
I have applied for pr in express entry on 18th may and so far only medical has passed.
My friends are saying it's going to take 6 months now and my work permit is expiring in October 10, what should experts suggest, should I wait or should I apply for bridge work permit now.
Garry
I believe you're supposed to apply for the BOWP at least 30 days before your current work permit expires

Canadaideaal

Mar 16, 2015
Ontario
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-05-2015
Med's Request
25-04-2015
Med's Done....
08-05-2015
Passport Req..
21-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2016
LANDED..........
07-03-2016
Since my work permit expired last year, I didn't aply for BOWP but turned into implied status. That was my own choice. It worked well out, because i got PR after 5 months Impl. Status. The only thing is, you will not be able to get Health card in Impl. status and when you get you PR, you have to wait 3 Months for Helath card.
In Impl. status you can't change your eployer, but on the other hand, he have to pay the taxes over your wage.

I know it is a little risky to go this way but for m it worked out.

I read so many problems with BOWP on this forum, so i din't aply.

sukses.

mrawa

Star Member
Jul 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
06-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-03-2017
Canadaideaal said:
Since my work permit expired last year, I didn't aply for BOWP but turned into implied status. That was my own choice. It worked well out, because i got PR after 5 months Impl. Status. The only thing is, you will not be able to get Health card in Impl. status and when you get you PR, you have to wait 3 Months for Helath card.
In Impl. status you can't change your eployer, but on the other hand, he have to pay the taxes over your wage.

I know it is a little risky to go this way but for m it worked out.

I read so many problems with BOWP on this forum, so i din't aply.

sukses.
How did you turned your status to Implied if you didn't applied for BOWP? As per my understanding, if you have less than 4 months left in your PGWP and your application has been assessed for eligibility, you are suppose to apply for BOWP in order to prolong your stay. Can you please explain the process you followed? Thanks

Meya06

Jun 29, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mrawa said:
How did you turned your status to Implied if you didn't applied for BOWP? As per my understanding, if you have less than 4 months left in your PGWP and your application has been assessed for eligibility, you are suppose to apply for BOWP in order to prolong your stay. Can you please explain the process you followed? Thanks
Agree, regarding health card, you can get it right away if you are reside in Alberta, you won't wait for 3 months.

Edmo guy Naveed

Star Member
Aug 4, 2016
Banga228786 said:
Hello everyone,
Garry
simply apply bowp , as i am in same situation and i already got my new bowp.

Canadaideaal

Mar 16, 2015
Ontario
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-05-2015
Med's Request
25-04-2015
Med's Done....
08-05-2015
Passport Req..
21-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2016
LANDED..........
07-03-2016
mrawa said:
When your work permit expires, and you don't aply for a extension, but yu have a PR application in the immigration office, you turn automaticly into implied status.
In this status you are alowed to work, your employers pays the taxes, and you stay.
In implied staus you can't leave Canada, ( or you can but can't return) , you don't have health card and either no right for tax return or any ( child) benefits.
When you get a positve answer on your PR application, everything is okay.
But when you are declined, then you have to leave within ( 4 ?? ) weeks, or aply again for PR within 4 weeks.

luciano_ca

Star Member
Mar 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-08-2014
AOR Received.
17-12-2014
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
03-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2016
LANDED..........
22-03-2016
Canadaideaal said:
When your work permit expires, and you don't aply for a extension, but yu have a PR application in the immigration office, you turn automaticly into implied status.
As far as I know, that is not correct. Implied status is when:

1) You have already applied for PR and the application is in process
2) You have also applied for BOWP within 4 months prior to your work permit expire date
3) Your work permit expires, however the decision (for PR and BOWP) has not been made yet

Just check the CIC site:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/implied.asp

And the link for BOWP:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/permit/extend/permanent.asp

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Canadaideaal said:
In this status you are alowed to work, your employers pays the taxes, and you stay.
Completely wrong. Submitting a PR app does NOT grant Implied Status. A person must apply to extend their temporary resident status (worker, student or visitor) prior to their current status expiring in order to benefit from Implied Status.

If you continued working after your permit expired, you worked illegally.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Canadaideaal said:

That is false. You only have implied status if you apply to renew your temporary status as a student/worker/visitor before the old permit expires.

Either you have your facts mixed up, or you got lucky - it sounds like you were working illegally for several months, and were allowed to land anyway.

Shaigurl

Sep 13, 2016
Hi Everyone, What is the latest time to apply for BOWP? My permit expires in 2months I am in my 4th month of waiting PR. Also can I apply for my WP extention without using my Representative as I used one for the PR. Please I would appreciate your knowledgeable response. Thanks in advance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Shaigurl said:
Hi Everyone, What is the latest time to apply for BOWP? My permit expires in 2months I am in my 4th month of waiting PR. Also can I apply for my WP extention without using my Representative as I used one for the PR. Please I would appreciate your knowledgeable response. Thanks in advance.
You can apply for a BOWP up until your current permit expires. You are not required to use a representative.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Shaigurl said:
Last day you can apply (application received by IRCC) is the expiry date on your current permit.

WP application is completely separate from the PR application (although of course for the BOWP, eligibility is based on your PR applciation). There is no need to use the same representative.