30-07-2014
Passport Req..
16-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
26-06-2015
LANDED..........
22-07-2015
Hi All,

I am in a difficult situation here. I had a TRV approved on 25th May 2011 valid till 31st May 2012. For some reason my employer had advised me to delay my arrival in Canada last year & now when I entered Canada yesterday I was issued a work permit which expires on 31st May 2012.

I tried to reason with the immigration officer that my work permit should be valid for a year from the date of arrival in Canada but he insisted that there are no notes on my file that suggests so. Now I am in a situation where my TRV & work permit expire within 40 days of my arrival here in Canada.

I am confused & stressed :(, could use all the help from the seniors with their valuable advise.

Thanking in advance.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Didn't you have some kind of a contract to show the length of employment you'll have with your employer? Yours is an unusual case. TRV holders coming in as visitors are granted longer stays (usually 6 months) than you. To renew your WP your employer has to go through the ad, LMO and you through applying for a new WP and that process now takes forever (actually months) to finish. Apply for extension of stay close to the expiration of your WP. Hopefully you have the help of your employer to help facilitate the LMO.

astasi said:
Hi All,

I am in a difficult situation here. I had a TRV approved on 25th May 2011 valid till 31st May 2012. For some reason my employer had advised me to delay my arrival in Canada last year & now when I entered Canada yesterday I was issued a work permit which expires on 31st May 2012.

I tried to reason with the immigration officer that my work permit should be valid for a year from the date of arrival in Canada but he insisted that there are no notes on my file that suggests so. Now I am in a situation where my TRV & work permit expire within 40 days of my arrival here in Canada.

I am confused & stressed :(, could use all the help from the seniors with their valuable advise.

Thanking in advance.

astasi

Champion Member
Jun 12, 2010
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-09-2014
Med's Request
23-03-2015
Med's Done....
30-07-2014
Passport Req..
16-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
26-06-2015
LANDED..........
22-07-2015
Hi Job_seeker,

I had the copy of my contract but the immigration officer was least inclined to look at my papers or listen to my submissions, so I decided it was best not to argue with him. My TRV was valid for one year from 25th May 2011 till 31st May 2012 and my arrival was postponed on my employer's instructions, so I really no had say on the date of my arrival here.

Now my questions is that when I apply for extension for the WP & TRV would my status in Canada be legal for all purposes.

As for my employer he is willing on his part to facilitate the extension & fresh processing of LMO & WP. Would you advise using AINP or Arranged Employment Offer to ensure that I don't have to leave Canada at the expiry of my TRV/WP.

Many thanks in advance.

ashu1406

Star Member
Mar 8, 2012
astasi said:
Hi Job_seeker,

I had the copy of my contract but the immigration officer was least inclined to look at my papers or listen to my submissions, so I decided it was best not to argue with him. My TRV was valid for one year from 25th May 2011 till 31st May 2012 and my arrival was postponed on my employer's instructions, so I really no had say on the date of my arrival here.

Now my questions is that when I apply for extension for the WP & TRV would my status in Canada be legal for all purposes.

As for my employer he is willing on his part to facilitate the extension & fresh processing of LMO & WP. Would you advise using AINP or Arranged Employment Offer to ensure that I don't have to leave Canada at the expiry of my TRV/WP.

Many thanks in advance.
Hi,
First you would need to apply for LMO. After applying for LMO in about 2-3 weeks, you would get a file number. Then you can apply for WP (before your current one expires) with the file number for LMO. In this case, when you have an LMO file number, CIC will hold your WP application for 2 months, waiting for a decision from HRSDC. But, if you dont hear back from HRSDC in 2 months, your WP application will be rejected, though this gives 2 extra months to work legally.

If by the end of those 2 months, no decision has been made on your LMO application and your WP gets rejected, the only way to stay back in Canada will be to apply for restoration of status to a visitor withing 90 days from when you get a refusal, though you would not be able to work then.

Just as an FYI, my employer applied for my LMO on Jan 9th, we are still waiting for a response from HRSDC. I am in Ontario, you can check similar forums for processing times in Alberta.

Hope this helps a bit...