Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I take it you are not from a visa-exempt country(since you need a work visa)?
1. It may be possible for you to obtain a permit at the border, but I'm not so sure this is a good idea in light of you having discontinued your studies. If rejected, you may be detained and sent back to your country because you no longer have a reason to be in Canada since you discontinued your studies.

For a "work visa" i.e. temporary resident visa (TRV), you have to send the application to CPP-O.

2. In addition to LMO and job offer, you will need to include proof that you meet the requirements of the job. At minimum, you should have the job requirements listed on the LMO. So take copies of your CV/resume, education credentials(degree/diploma/training certificates, etc).

This is one difference between applying inside Canada(i.e. either online or by mail to Vegreville, Alberta) vs. outside Canada(i.e. at the border or via mail to a Canadian visa office in the US).

The checklist for work permit applications made inside Canada requires less documents that the one made outside Canada.

pal-3 said:
Hello friends

Can I apply for work visa and permit at the border if:

1. I am on a study visa and my permit is valid till July 2014 but I have discontinued my studies.

2. I have positive LMO and an offer letter.

pal-3

Mar 27, 2013
Okay, thank you for the help.

I think I will make a try at the border, with all the documents as suggested by you and mentioned on the website. I am pretty sure I cannot be detained I checked that at CIC call center.

Wish me good luck!!

Thanks

SenoritaBella said:
I take it you are not from a visa-exempt country(since you need a work visa)?
1. It may be possible for you to obtain a permit at the border, but I'm not so sure this is a good idea in light of you having discontinued your studies. If rejected, you may be detained and sent back to your country because you no longer have a reason to be in Canada since you discontinued your studies.

For a "work visa" i.e. temporary resident visa (TRV), you have to send the application to CPP-O.

2. In addition to LMO and job offer, you will need to include proof that you meet the requirements of the job. At minimum, you should have the job requirements listed on the LMO. So take copies of your CV/resume, education credentials(degree/diploma/training certificates, etc).

This is one difference between applying inside Canada(i.e. either online or by mail to Vegreville, Alberta) vs. outside Canada(i.e. at the border or via mail to a Canadian visa office in the US).

The checklist for work permit applications made inside Canada requires less documents that the one made outside Canada.

Jeptheld

Mar 27, 2013
Hi,

Im currently living in Toronto with a closed work permit (which is still valid until Sept 2013) from an employer/company which already closed down few months ago. I just received a positive LMO from my new employer. I will be moving to Alberta for the work placement. My TRV expired last July 2011 and Im from a country that is not visa excempt.

1. Can i still apply for a work permit at ANY border (Buffalo,Niagara).
2. Do i need to renew my TRv first?

Please advise.
Thank you

TTL

Star Member
Jan 27, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-04-2013
File Transfer...
06-05-2013
Med's Request
07-02-2014
Passport Req..
07-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
Passport sent 04042014, returned on 20052014
LANDED..........
22-05-2014
Hi,

Does anyone knows if you will get deported if they do not issue you a work permit at a border?Or you are allowed to enter the country as a visitor?

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
My situation is
- I am currently working in Toronto on work permit based on positive LMO
- I have valid worker visa valid till the end of 2015
- I have valid visitor visa till September of 2013 - I got it before my work permit for entering Canada for job interview
- I am not from a visa exempt country , as I needed visitor visa to enter when interviewing for my current job

My question is, if I find a job from a different company and get a new LMO, will I be able to get a new work permit at the port of entry instead of applying on line and waiting for 2 months for it?

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
I flagpoled successfully with a valid WP and an expired TRV.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/applying-for-work-permit-extensionrenewal-at-canadianus-border-t119775.0.html

zac989

Mar 20, 2013
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-10-2014 App. Received : 22-10-2014 CC Charged : 28-12-2014 PER Received: 22-01-2015
File Transfer...
21-01-2015
Med's Request
15-10-2015
Med's Done....
20-10-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
30-11-2015 VOH : 08-12-2015
LANDED..........
21-02-2016
Hi All,

I currently have a multiple-entry TRV (visitor) valid until October 2015. I am trying to figure out a few things as I am trying to look for a job in Canada.

1. Granting I have a job offer and positive LMO, can I apply for a WP at the border? I haven't had any WP in the past.
2. If the job is located in Quebec, I understand that there will be a need for CAQ. How long is the processing time? Can I apply for a WP in Ontario?

Thanks in advance!

kye

Star Member
Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-04-2015
Doc's Request.
18-01-2016
Nomination.....
16-12-2014
AOR Received.
12-07-2015
Med's Request
11-12-2015
Med's Done....
14-12-2015
Passport Req..
April 22,2016!!
LANDED..........
Inland
Pal,did you have luck?? I am in the same situation!! Can you please share your experience?
pal-3 said:
Okay, thank you for the help.

I think I will make a try at the border, with all the documents as suggested by you and mentioned on the website. I am pretty sure I cannot be detained I checked that at CIC call center.

Wish me good luck!!

Thanks

GeoCanadian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa, Canada
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2012
Doc's Request.
08-04-2013
AOR Received.
PER receieved on 05-APR-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application (band 8.5)
File Transfer...
Transferred from Buffelo to Ottawa
Med's Request
10-05-2013
Med's Done....
24-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 19, 2013
LANDED..........
December 6, 2013
TTL said:
Hi,

Does anyone knows if you will get deported if they do not issue you a work permit at a border?Or you are allowed to enter the country as a visitor?
If you have a unexpired multiple entry TRV in your valid passport, the worst that can happen to you is that they won't give you the WP. But, you will be allowed back into Canada.

For the benefit of newbies: I was succesful getting WP at the border (Woodstock, NB) with valid multiple entry student TRV, contract/job offer and positive LMO.

Now question to seniors: I plan to do the same again? Will it work the second time around? FYI: I am a Doctoral student, taught one year on Work Permit while I was on an academic leave. Went back to being a "student" after the contract was over and now have a "Study Permit" (expires 30 August), permanent job offer/contract and LMO pending (should arrive any time now). Or, will they say to apply to CIC the second time around?

Thanks

xredtulipx

Mar 1, 2013
Hello guyz !!!!!! i successfully got my work permit from the border. No questions was asked officer was really nice and ask us to wait for 45 mins and ask us to pay 150$ & hand over our work permits

GeoCanadian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa, Canada
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2012
Doc's Request.
08-04-2013
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
10-05-2013
Med's Done....
24-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 19, 2013
LANDED..........
December 6, 2013
SUCCESSFULLY FLAGPOLED (this is what they call when you go across the border just for the immigration purposes and come right back to Canada) AT THE CANADIAN-U.S. CHECKPOINT (Woodstock, New Brunswick).

One major point here - I AM NOT from a visa exempt country. Yet, this was not even a question and everything went well.

Another major point: I had just received the LMO based on this job offer in Clgary, Alberta. It took just 10 days (including a weekend). You must know that there are two LMO streams/programs: (a)for temporary workers that plan to apply for a Work Permit - it only takes 7 to 14 days to get an LMO in this case; and (b)LMOs for "pre-arranged employment" on the basis of which one may apply for immigration to Canada - right now, as of April 19th, they are working on the applications received on March 4th; thus, average processing time for this LMO is 45 days. It may be substantially longer if there is a mistake or correction that needs to be made to the LMO application.

Back to my flagpoling experience. Here is what happened:

>I went to the U.S. side. When asked for the purpose, I said directly that I was just fulfilling Canadian immigration requirements. They asked me to go inside the building. Since I did not have a U.S. entry visa, instead of stamping my passport with an entry stamp, they issued a white sheet of paper certifying that I was at the border but not admitted to the United States. I made sure to ask if this would impact my future travels to the United States. They assured me that this would not be a case as this procedure amounted to me withdrawing my request to enter the U.S.;
>Armed with this white sheet of paper, I came to the Canadian checkpoint and passed my passport with all the documents to the border agent. She asked me if I was there for immigration purposes and I said yes. She asked me some standard border checkpoint questions, returned all the documents to me and gave me an yellow slip too. I was asked to park the car and go into the lobby;
>After about 30 minute wait, another border agent/immigration officer called my name. He asked what I was requesting. After learning that I was there for a work permit, he collected my documents which included:
1. My passport, with unexpired multiple entry Canadian Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) along with my unexpired "Student Permit";
2. My appointment letter/job offer from my employer;
3. Labour Market Opinion (LMO);
4. Letters and transcripts certifying my degrees and doctoral level studies since these were part of qualifications required for the job;
>After briefly examining my documents, he asked me to pay $150 for the permit, which I did with my debit card;
>After collecting my payment and the above documents, he asked me to wait and went into the backroom to work on my file;
>After about 20-25 minutes, he emerged with my documents and a newly issued work permit in his hand; I took all the documents thanked him, we said goodbyes and that was it.:)

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more info... Good luck!

jmjosse

Apr 20, 2013
Hi guys,

I really hope you guys can help me with this.

My spouse and I are both from Belgium and we need to fly home next week.

My common-law partner has a 3 year post-grad work permit and has a NOC level B job.
My work permit expired jan 15th and have applied for work permit (and restoration of status) thru my spouse's permit.
Also, meanwhile, we applied for PR and received a confirmation of Phase 1 acceptance last month.

Unfortunately, we need to fly home for two wedding next week so I understand that this application will get cancelled.

I've been told that when I fly back to Canada, I will be able to apply for my work permit at Point of Entry.

Can you confirm this? Plus what paperwork will I need to bring along? ( I think I will need my common-law's work permit, her contract with the company, a proof of common-law and my valid EU passport).

Thank you very much for your help, I hope this made sense.

JM

bovo

Apr 21, 2013
can someone help me I`m from Croatia and I don`t need visa to enter Canada,I got a job in Edmonton,and I need one information can I submit papers for work permit at the board of entry I have LMO and job contract.

GeoCanadian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa, Canada
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2012
Doc's Request.
08-04-2013
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
10-05-2013
Med's Done....
24-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 19, 2013
LANDED..........
December 6, 2013
bovo said:
can someone help me I`m from Croatia and I don`t need visa to enter Canada,I got a job in Edmonton,and I need one information can I submit papers for work permit at the board of entry I have LMO and job contract.
YES, YOU CAN! Just present your job offer, LMO and your passport. Welcome to Canada!

europeangirl

Apr 30, 2013
Hi everybody,

I have a questions for those who have successfully flagpoled at Canada/US border.
We are planning to do that tomorrow and would like to clarify couple of things:

Do we need to fill applications before going there?

Can we write our home address in Canada in applications or should we write our previous address we had back home?

Are there immigration officers all the time at the border or do they have specific "business hours"?

Thank you very much in advance!

Reading through some older posts, I have found out that I have even more questions regarding flagpoling.
Our current situation is following - we applied for new work permits (extension) online based on application of LMO. As our first LMO got refused, our work permits got refused too and therefore we lost our status (April 2) and were told to apply for restoration of status within 90 days starting from April 2, 2013. We didn't want to risk applying for restoration and new work permits before positive LMO is issued. Now we have received a positive LMO and would like to get WP as soon as possible. But I am reading now that we actually can't flagpole as we don't have a status in Canada (we are still within those 90 days to apply for restoration). Can anybody help us please? We are from visa-exempt country.