+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit at the border port-of entry

mine08

Oct 25, 2012
Another question..

Is it possible to go to the Border if my TRV will expire on Nov28,2012?
Will there be any problem with that?

Thank you!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
TRVs are of three types: Worker, Student and Visitor. If you are here as a visitor you need to apply for a WP outside Canada. If you are in Canada as a student or a worker you can apply online to change your status I don't know if you can apply online for a WP at a visa office outside Canada.

barbieQ said:
I'm in Canada right now on temporary resident visa. Are you saying that it's ok as long as I submitted my application on-line before my LMO expired?

mine08

Oct 25, 2012
SenoritaBella said:
If I were you, I would apply for the work permit using the LMO from company A. There is no guarantee company B will be able to obtain a LMO for you... Service Canada makes the decision.

1. If company B gets a LMO for you, you may go to the border to apply for a work permit. If you are not from a visa-exempt country, the border officer has discretion whether or not to process the application. If you obtain a permit there, you may withdraw the online application. Note that if processing has already begun, the application fee will not be refunded.

2. You may have simultaneous applications, but will have to withdraw one of them.
Thank you for the reply.

Will the immigration officer in the border could question me why I have an online application from different company? Is it still possible to get my new work permit in the border?

Thank you!

barbieQ

Sep 22, 2012
SenoritaBella said:
1. Instead of waiting for medicals to be sent to Ottawa before you apply, include a copy of the medical receipt(the one with maple leaf) with your application and apply right away. What if the physician takes longer to send it, will you continue waiting?

2. The work permit application must be submitted BEFORE the LMO expires. After that, it doesn't matter how long processing takes. Be sure to include every document on the checklist.
thank you for your immediate reply. i guess i'll be booking my flight to LA now to go to their canadian embassy. wish me luck!

ddq

Nov 13, 2012
Hello,

I recently received my Provincial Nominee certificate from Ontario and am expecting to receive my Open Work Permit letter of support from Ontario, as indicated at Operational Bulletin 470.

I can visit Canada without a visa, as my country is in the list of visa except countries.

My question is:

Do I have to apply for the Work Permit using the 60-day CIC standard process, or can I simply fly into Toronto and apply for the Permit at the airport?

Thanks so much,
ddq

ddq

Nov 13, 2012
ddq said:
Hello,

I recently received my Provincial Nominee certificate from Ontario and am expecting to receive my Open Work Permit letter of support from Ontario, as indicated at Operational Bulletin 470.

I can visit Canada without a visa, as my country is in the list of visa except countries.

My question is:

Do I have to apply for the Work Permit using the 60-day CIC standard process, or can I simply fly into Toronto and apply for the Permit at the airport?

Thanks so much,
ddq
An update: I flew in and got my visa on spot. The entire process, including waiting in line lasted less than 40 minutes.

nick1

Jan 5, 2013
hey i need help too,i got an open LMO and im astudent ,im on a study permit my visa has expired but my study permit is still valid,for a nother 4yrs,beacouse i just renewed it,my questions is,can i still get a work permit? under the LMO?PLEASE HELP

xredtulipx

Mar 1, 2013
Hi May be some one can help me in my case. First thing i would like to mention that i'm not from a visa exempt country. I hold a single entry visa which is valid till aug 2013. I was in canada on 1st feb and there i find a job and employer also issued me with a positive LMO. On 27 feb i fly to US to meet my family i heard that i can enter canada again if i travel just within Canada & US. My question is this that can i go to the border from US and apply for my WP ? is there going to be any problem?

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
You can certainly try, no guarantee. Check whether your occupation requires a medical exam. Make sure you have the completed application, LMO, $150, proof of meeting job requirements(CV/resume, education/training certificates, etc) and all other required documents.

xredtulipx said:
Hi May be some one can help me in my case. First thing i would like to mention that i'm not from a visa exempt country. I hold a single entry visa which is valid till aug 2013. I was in canada on 1st feb and there i find a job and employer also issued me with a positive LMO. On 27 feb i fly to US to meet my family i heard that i can enter canada again if i travel just within Canada & US. My question is this that can i go to the border from US and apply for my WP ? is there going to be any problem?

wsongco

Nov 7, 2010
montreal
Visa Office......
CPC VERGREVILLE
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Interview........
24-04-2013 CAQ
LANDED..........
29-08-2013
Any update? Anybody apply wp at the boarder recently?

ErickNL

Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's been six weeks since my LMO application (Alberta), so if all goes well and there is a positive LMO result I am hoping to go through this route sometime in the next month. I definitely don't want to wait another month and a half for the online application of a WP.

Thank you everyone for your questions and the sharing of your stories. Very helpful!

Hols

Star Member
Sep 25, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
6221-B
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AEO still processing
ErickNL said:
It's been six weeks since my LMO application (Alberta), so if all goes well and there is a positive LMO result I am hoping to go through this route sometime in the next month. I definitely don't want to wait another month and a half for the online application of a WP.

Thank you everyone for your questions and the sharing of your stories. Very helpful!
I am waiting for my LMO in BC and will also got to POE for WP as I am visa exempt.. fingers crossed for our LMOs soon :)

ssenjaliya

Star Member
Dec 8, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Forum Friends,

Please advise on my case. details are as follows:

I have CWP with LMO. My wife have valied TRV. My job is NOC O level. so, my wife qualify for OWP.

Now m question is if I want to apply for OWP at POE what should i take with me and what should we have to say to Immigration officer?

Please advise.

Thank you in advance.

SS

Svety

Mar 26, 2013
Hello friends,

I've got a question here. Any information on the following matter would be highly appreciated!
My closed work permit has been lost in mail. I was advised by Immigration Canada, that I had to wait 6 weeks, before requesting to send me its copy. After these 6 slow weeks had been finally over, IC told me I should wait another month until it's delivered... Which is sort of impossible due to some plans and issues.
The question is: may I get my copy at the POE? I am not from a visa exempt country and my multy entry visa expired on the 19th of January 2013. However, I've got a valid US visa though.
Thanks a lot in advance! :)

pal-3

Mar 27, 2013
Hello friends

Can I apply for work visa and permit at the border if:

1. I am on a study visa and my permit is valid till July 2014 but I have discontinued my studies.

2. I have positive LMO and an offer letter.