+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit at the border port-of entry

Danielehi

Aug 15, 2012
Hello, Daniel here,
Italian, I am in Canada under a Study Permit, now working with an Off Campus Work Permit for the company "XOX".
I want to keep working under a regular WP, so my company applied for an LMO
I got a positive LMO and started an application online for a WP but I want to avoid the 50 days wait.

I was suggested to go to the border and bring the following documents:
- Payment of *$150.00.
- Valid passport/Travel document.**
- LMO or proof that you do not need one.
My LMO is for a new position and for 2 years with XOX company
- Job offer or contract.
Should XOX give me a new offer letter? Or do I bring with me the contract that I am working on now?
- Proof that you have the required qualifications and experience.
What kind of PROOF???

I know I can result kind of "cautious", but really, I don't wanna be stuck like Tom Hanks in the Terminal!

Thanks everybody!

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
What kind of PROOF??? Resume/CV, education credentials(diploma, certificates, etc), license(if applicable).

nits1930

Star Member
May 8, 2011
canada
Can someone please help me here?

I wish to apply for my work permit at the Coutts/Montana Border with my new employer.
I DO NOT belong from a Visa exempt Country but I do have a Valid Multiple Entry VISA & my current work permit is still valid..

I have a positive LMO & new Employment Contract with me.

Please suggest me if there are any chances to get the new work permit if I decide to go to the border..
Any views will be highly appreciated...

Thanks in advance guys.... :)

Danielehi

Aug 15, 2012
nits1930 said:
Can someone please help me here?

I wish to apply for my work permit at the Coutts/Montana Border with my new employer.
I DO NOT belong from a Visa exempt Country but I do have a Valid Multiple Entry VISA & my current work permit is still valid..

I have a positive LMO & new Employment Contract with me.

Please suggest me if there are any chances to get the new work permit if I decide to go to the border..
Any views will be highly appreciated...

Thanks in advance guys.... :)
I don't see any issue to be quite honest, why should they deny it? You should possibly pointt out what are the concerns you have, Daniel

nits1930

Star Member
May 8, 2011
canada
Danielehi said:
I don't see any issue to be quite honest, why should they deny it? You should possibly pointt out what are the concerns you have, Daniel
Thank U for replying Danielehi..

The only concern I have here is-It says on the website that the only persons who belong to a Visa exempt country(which I am not) can apply at the Border for their workpermit...

This is the only thing which is bugging me..Otherwise I have everything with me & My application looks in a good shape..

bananawolf

Dec 8, 2009
nits1930: Would you please read my previous post?

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/new-work-permit-issued-today-at-poe-t113667.0.html

Even though I have successfully applied for a new work permit at the board, I can't say it is 100% guaranteed. Wish you good luck and if possible please also share your own experience afterwards. Thank you.

nits1930

Star Member
May 8, 2011
canada
bananawolf said:
nits1930: Would you please read my previous post?

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/new-work-permit-issued-today-at-poe-t113667.0.html

Even though I have successfully applied for a new work permit at the board, I can't say it is 100% guaranteed. Wish you good luck and if possible please also share your own experience afterwards. Thank you.
Thank U very Much for this info...All the vey best..

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
All the discussion about one thing that's clearly stated on CIC website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp#enter

You can apply for a work permit as you enter Canada, but only if you meet the following requirements:

you are temporary resident visa exempt and
your job does not need a labour market opinion from HRSDC (some exceptions apply) or
you hold a labour market opinion from HRSDC.

nits1930

Star Member
May 8, 2011
canada
itsmyid said:
All the discussion about one thing that's clearly stated on CIC website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp#enter

You can apply for a work permit as you enter Canada, but only if you meet the following requirements:

you are temporary resident visa exempt and
your job does not need a labour market opinion from HRSDC (some exceptions apply) or
you hold a labour market opinion from HRSDC.

Hello Friends,Just wanted to share my experience for the Work Permit application at the Border.I went to COUTTS/MONTANA Border.Hope my experience will help u with some of ur queries :)

The CBSA Officer Issued my Work Permit right Away without any problem.I paid $150.00 cash at the Cashier counter.
The CBSA Officer just asked me few questions (veryyyy politely) as-

Why I was applying there,when I could easily apply on line.?Why I am changing the Job?etc etc..I had a printout of the current processing time of the CIC website which was showing 54 Days for online applications made within CANADA.For changing job-I just told here I am not comfortable as I was before due to blah blah blah.....

So,she found it a valid answer for her question(I guess).She even pointed out that when u r not comfortable somwhere,its better to change ur place and move forward.She understood my situation.She was really very helpful.

I also came to know that if they find any candidate coming to the border and have a valid reason of changing jobs,changing workpermits etc,they would be happy to help those candidates..Otherwise they will send that candidate back and will ask Him/Her to apply online as CBSA can only process specific applications at the Border.One more thing they gave me both workpermits (Old & New) back to me asking me if I want to choose to work both jobs at the same time.
I DONT KNOW ABOUT GETTING A NEW WORKPERMIT FOR THE SAME EMPLOYER THOUGH

All the very Best everyone...Thank U again :)

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
You can't work with both employers on a closed WP. The old WP is cancelled once the new one is issued.

nits1930 said:
Hello Friends,Just wanted to share my experience for the Work Permit application at the Border.I went to COUTTS/MONTANA Border.Hope my experience will help u with some of ur queries :)

The CBSA Officer Issued my Work Permit right Away without any problem.I paid $150.00 cash at the Cashier counter.
The CBSA Officer just asked me few questions (veryyyy politely) as-

Why I was applying there,when I could easily apply on line.?Why I am changing the Job?etc etc..I had a printout of the current processing time of the CIC website which was showing 54 Days for online applications made within CANADA.For changing job-I just told here I am not comfortable as I was before due to blah blah blah.....

So,she found it a valid answer for her question(I guess).She even pointed out that when u r not comfortable somwhere,its better to change ur place and move forward.She understood my situation.She was really very helpful.

I also came to know that if they find any candidate coming to the border and have a valid reason of changing jobs,changing workpermits etc,they would be happy to help those candidates..Otherwise they will send that candidate back and will ask Him/Her to apply online as CBSA can only process specific applications at the Border.One more thing they gave me both workpermits (Old & New) back to me asking me if I want to choose to work both jobs at the same time.
I DONT KNOW ABOUT GETTING A NEW WORKPERMIT FOR THE SAME EMPLOYER THOUGH

All the very Best everyone...Thank U again :)

nits1930

Star Member
May 8, 2011
canada
job_seeker said:
You can't work with both employers on a closed WP. The old WP is cancelled once the new one is issued.
Yeah I thought so too that only one job is allowed.I asked the CBSA Officer too.

But,The CBSA Officer questioned me if I want to work the old job too at the same time before she issued me the new work permit.I said NO.But she still asked me keep both with me just in case I change my mind and want to work both jobs,cuz my old workpermit is still valid till December..Also,she suggested me to keep working old job as I have to provide a 3 weeks notice of resignation to my Old Employer...

I still can Say I MIGHT BE WRONG HERE.But,Thats what I was told by her....

Thank U Job_Seeker,, :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

nits1930 said:
Yeah I thought so too that only one job is allowed.I asked the CBSA Officer too.

But,The CBSA Officer questioned me if I want to work the old job too at the same time before she issued me the new work permit.I said NO.But she still asked me keep both with me just in case I change my mind and want to work both jobs,cuz my old workpermit is still valid till December..Also,she suggested me to keep working old job as I have to provide a 3 weeks notice of resignation to my Old Employer...

I still can Say I MIGHT BE WRONG HERE.But,Thats what I was told by her....

Thank U Job_Seeker,, :)
She was wrong. Once you new work permit was issued, you old one became invalid. It would really be nice is some of the CBSA officers were sent for Immigration Cross training.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Can anyone point out where on the CIC website it says you can't hold 2 closed work permits?

karyl

Apr 21, 2010
It actually depends on the situation of both work permits. I know a lot of foreign workers who hold 2 work permits and are allowed to work for both.. CIC says that as long as your body can do it, there should be no problem. There were some who were not allowed to work for both, especially if you belong to different programs (eg. Live-in caregiver and federal -skilled program).

Before, they were strict about this. But lately, I have seen a few who can work for 2 or even 3 employers with valid work permits....

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

SenoritaBella said:
Can anyone point out where on the CIC website it says you can't hold 2 closed work permits?
If you read a closed work permit, it states "may only work for the above employer at the above location" or words similar, but same effect.