+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit and Common Law Marriage

baggins24

Mar 12, 2022
Hello,

We're in a bit of a unique situation. Last year, I got a closed Canadian Work Permit through my employer. During the application, I didn't realise I was in a common law partnership with my girlfriend. We've lived together in a conjugal relationship for the last 3 years (since Aug 2019).

During the the filing of my WP, I did not mention my partner on the family declaration form (signed Jan 2021)

Now my partner's company is filing for a work permit for her and she is declaring me as a common law partner. Her organization will also be applying for an open work permit for me. Is this going to cause any issues either right now or further down the road for both of us as we didn't declare the common law partnership in Jan 2021.

Thank you so much, really appreciate all responses.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

We're in a bit of a unique situation. Last year, I got a closed Canadian Work Permit through my employer. During the application, I didn't realise I was in a common law partnership with my girlfriend. We've lived together in a conjugal relationship for the last 3 years (since Aug 2019).

During the the filing of my WP, I did not mention my partner on the family declaration form (signed Jan 2021)

Now my partner's company is filing for a work permit for her and she is declaring me as a common law partner. Her organization will also be applying for an open work permit for me. Is this going to cause any issues either right now or further down the road for both of us as we didn't declare the common law partnership in Jan 2021.

Yes this could be problematic. Have you been filing your taxes as common law?

baggins24

Mar 12, 2022
Yes this could be problematic. Have you been filing your taxes as common law?
Ah, that's worrisome. I realised my original post wasn't clear so just adding that we're both based in the US right now. I don't have the work permit yet, just the confirmation letter and the TRV. I haven't been to Canada yet and was planning to head there some time in June.

Our finances in the US are separate and we files taxes separately here.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ah, that's worrisome. I realised my original post wasn't clear so just adding that we're both based in the US right now. I don't have the work permit yet, just the confirmation letter and the TRV. I haven't been to Canada yet and was planning to head there some time in June.

Our finances in the US are separate and we files taxes separately here.
Less problematic then. You need to correct your WP including your common law spouse before coming to Canada.

m1lky

Mar 28, 2024
Hello,

Hi @baggins24 , my boyfriend and I are in the same situation as you - we mistakenly didn't realize that we were in a common-law relationship while filling an older Canadian immigration application, and now my boyfriend's company is applying for a work permit and declaring me as a partner. I am wondering what you ended up doing? Did you attach a letter of explanation with your girlfriend's work permit application, and if so how did you explain it? Also did you submit a webform declaring the mistake on your previous work permit? I would appreciate your advice on this matter since we are quite worried. Thank you so much!