+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work in Canada remotely for a French Company

slimonade

Sep 15, 2017
Hello everyone,

I'm a new immigrant and I'll be moving to Vancouver soon (by the end of 2017). I am an IT Consultant speialized in ERPs ( Business process management softwares ).
I already informed my supervisors about my situation and they offered me to keep working remotely for them for a few months until I get a job in Vancouver.

I'd like to know if I can work as a Consultant having my own company, through which I would invoice them for my services.

Else Can I still be an employee of the company and work from Vancouver ?
I'd like to know if it's possible, and if it is how to do with the taxes and the paperwork ?

Thank you for your help.

Slim.

Investocrat

Star Member
Jun 4, 2017
Winnipeg
Hello everyone,

I'm a new immigrant and I'll be moving to Vancouver soon (by the end of 2017). I am an IT Consultant speialized in ERPs ( Business process management softwares ).
I already informed my supervisors about my situation and they offered me to keep working remotely for them for a few months until I get a job in Vancouver.

I'd like to know if I can work as a Consultant having my own company, through which I would invoice them for my services.

Else Can I still be an employee of the company and work from Vancouver ?
I'd like to know if it's possible, and if it is how to do with the taxes and the paperwork ?

Thank you for your help.

Slim.
Yes, you can open your own business and invoice them. And yes, you can also choose to work for them as an employee and get paid.
Upon landing in Canada, you become a Canadian resident for tax purposes and thus will pay taxes on your worldwide income. Depending on which country the income is coming from, if Canada has a tax treaty with that country, you will get credit for any taxes already paid. This will effectively lower or eliminate your taxes due.