+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience points

kingmyself77

Dec 8, 2009
Hi all,

I would like to apply as FSW under category 1. I have 2 years of work experience as Oilfield Supervisor (NOC 8222) so I know I meet the minimum requirment but I am confused as if I can count work experience from jobs other than those listed on the ministerial instruction list? I have 2 years of experience as Electronic Technician which is not listed there. Do I count that when calculating points?

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
i believe you can count any work experience as long as it is skill type 0, A or B.

kingmyself77

Dec 8, 2009
Thank you for your replay. Can I ask another question? I am divorced. Should I still submit my ex background declaration form? I'm afarid she wont cooperate.

harryy

Feb 10, 2009
I was not able to find the answer for this!!!
For 23 Moths experience, can we get 17 Points?? Or it should be exactly 24 Months?? Please reply ASAP. Thanks.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
exactly 24 months. If you have 67 points and just looking to get more points, then you can apply now to CIO and by the time you get the reply, you will have 24 months of experience. But if you don't have 67 points now, then don't apply until a month from now. Start filling out the forms.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
kingmyself77 said:
Thank you for your replay. Can I ask another question? I am divorced. Should I still submit my ex background declaration form? I'm afarid she wont cooperate.
You don't have to fill out any forms for your divorced wife as far as I understand. Let someone else answer this because I don't really know.

harryy

Feb 10, 2009
Thanks rupeshhari for prompt reply.

This is not my current experience. This I worked 3 to 4 years back. My current experience is something different.
I want to apply on the basis of company trainer which I worked 3 to 4 yrs back in India. Right now also I am in India.
Can I apply on the basis of past experience?? This way how strong/weak the case will be?
I will cover the remaining points by taking more bands in IELTS.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
You need one year of experience from a job in the job list and this must have occurred within the last 10 years. It doesn't matter whether you have 13 months, 15moths, etc, as long as you have 12 months.

The experience for points is considered differently. For points, you can count the experience from the one above as well as any other experience that is of skill type 0, A or B. It doesnot have to be from the list. So if your current experience is not on the list but is on skill type 0, A or B, then that is good to count for points

harryy

Feb 10, 2009
rupeshhari said:
The experience for points is considered differently. For points, you can count the experience from the one above as well as any other experience that is of skill type 0, A or B. It doesnot have to be from the list. So if your current experience is not on the list but is on skill type 0, A or B, then that is good to count for points
I am not getting what are the skill types 0 (managerial occupations), A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades)

My Case is like this: I have 23 Months experience as Company Trainer (which I was working 3-4 yrs back) NOC 4131

Now I am working as Sr. IT Consultant which is of 1 Yr.

How much points I can get for this whole exp.? As my first exp is in list (4131) I want to use that. Current one (Sr. IT Consultant) is not in the list, Can I use this one also? If yes, under which category it will be considered?

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
points requirement is different from the ministerial list requirement.

Ministerial list requirement is satisfied from a job in the list. You have done that with 4131. And you only need 12 months of this.

For points, you can use jobs that are of skill type 0, A, or B. Your 23 months of 4131 and your 1 year of IT should count. Your 1 year of IT should be of skill type A, but I cannot say that for sure.

Skill type 0 jobs starts with 0 for the NOC code.
Skill type A jobs have their second digit as 1 (i think)
Skill type B jobs have their second digit as 2 (i think)

Note I said I think, so you should check the NOC website for how the skill types are coded into the NOC number.
Overall I am pretty sure you can use both your job experience for points but I am saying this from the title and not from the duties.

harryy

Feb 10, 2009
rupeshhari said:
points requirement is different from the ministerial list requirement.

Ministerial list requirement is satisfied from a job in the list. You have done that with 4131. And you only need 12 months of this.

For points, you can use jobs that are of skill type 0, A, or B. Your 23 months of 4131 and your 1 year of IT should count. Your 1 year of IT should be of skill type A, but I cannot say that for sure.

Skill type 0 jobs starts with 0 for the NOC code.
Skill type A jobs have their second digit as 1 (i think)
Skill type B jobs have their second digit as 2 (i think)

Note I said I think, so you should check the NOC website for how the skill types are coded into the NOC number.
Overall I am pretty sure you can use both your job experience for points but I am saying this from the title and not from the duties.
Hi rupeshhari,

Thanks a lot for this information, this is actually wonderful, I was not aware about this fact. I searched CIC website for this. From there I got the information regarding Skill type 0, A or B also. We can get the information from following link:

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/FAQ.aspx

Now I want to explain my case, please guide if I am wrong:

First: As I am having 23 Months experience in 4131 (Vocational Instructor, this was 3-4 yrs back) due to this My application becomes eligible for further processing.

Second: I have 1 Yr Exp as IT Consultant (Basically in Software Quality Assurance) which falls under Unit Group
2171 Information Systems Analysts and Consultants

(http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/ProfileSkillTypeLevel.aspx?val=2&val1=2171&val20=2&val21=*&val22=2&val23=0)

Which falls under skill level A. Hence I can get marks for this experience also (However in this occupation is not there in the list of 38).

So 23 Months as 4131 and 1 Yr as 2171 Implies I can Claim 17 Points!!!!

Am I right....

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Yes. If you have 67 points with that, send that to CIO and by the time they reply, you will have 19 points for work experience.