+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience - NOC Category *PLEASE HELP*

soccer123

Apr 14, 2017
Hello All,

This is my first post on the forum so please bare with me :)

I graduated as a BEng (Mechanical Engineer) from Toronto. After graduation, I got hired as a Project Engineer, but the condition was that the first 6-12 months I would have to work on the shop floor as a technician and assemble conveyors and assist in all daily activities (something what technicians do) to get a hands-on jist of the products.

This company laid me off after 4 months.

For NOC category purposes, should I list my experience in category A (that is as a mechanical engineer - 2132) or category B (as a mechanical technician - 2232) or category C (as a product assembler - 9537).

The reason I am confused is because this was training for when I would work as an engineer there, it would benefit me. But, I got laid off before I could be promoted.

I have 9 months of experience from my current job. Therefore, if from my previous job (4 months) I can somehow list it as NOC A or B, I will be eligible for Experience Class right?

Please help me.

Thank you in advance.

mrawa

Star Member
Jul 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
06-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-03-2017
I might be wrong but I think it really depends on your job reference letter, if you can match your job duties for those 4 months to be in any of the NOC codes you mentioned below, you should be able to claim points, else you should wait for next 4 months to complete your 1 year of work experience.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
soccer123 said:
Hello All,

This is my first post on the forum so please bare with me :)

I graduated as a BEng (Mechanical Engineer) from Toronto. After graduation, I got hired as a Project Engineer, but the condition was that the first 6-12 months I would have to work on the shop floor as a technician and assemble conveyors and assist in all daily activities (something what technicians do) to get a hands-on jist of the products.

This company laid me off after 4 months.

For NOC category purposes, should I list my experience in category A (that is as a mechanical engineer - 2132) or category B (as a mechanical technician - 2232) or category C (as a product assembler - 9537).

The reason I am confused is because this was training for when I would work as an engineer there, it would benefit me. But, I got laid off before I could be promoted.

I have 9 months of experience from my current job. Therefore, if from my previous job (4 months) I can somehow list it as NOC A or B, I will be eligible for Experience Class right?
It all depends on the job duties and responsibilities that your former employer would put in the letter of reference... And I'm sure you're aware, if they fit an NOC C occupation, then the experience would be excluded.